PDA

View Full Version : pics of big brake upgrade!

jstrat85
12-17-2004, 09:35 PM
here are some pics of my big brake upgrade!!!with bilstean shocks and voglands springs. 1.5' drop in the front and 1' in the back.;) http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/710333790612122004110530PM.jpg http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/710333790612122004105952PM.jpg http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/71033379061211200460431PM.jpg
[IMG]http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/71033379061211200461055PM.jpg

mr. gatsbury
12-18-2004, 12:25 AM
nice. How do you like the set up? Brakes, springs and all? I like the hight too, how low in the back?

JDoggery
12-18-2004, 01:32 AM
sweet setup, what size wheels, what tint specs?? looks great. more pics.

jstrat85
12-18-2004, 06:57 AM
i love it! it has crazy handling and crazy brakes! when i slam on the brakes and you are not wearing your seatbelt your going to splat like a fly on the wind sheild! my tint spec is 15% and my rims are 18/40/225 in the front and 18/40/245in the back.:D

djdoughboy
12-18-2004, 01:26 PM
yo J... his tint specs are same as mine... 15% i think its perfect... when you going to tint urs up mang? :cool:

mr. gatsbury
12-19-2004, 08:18 PM
ok, I have been looking to get some new rotors (mine are close to shot). I just noticed that when you did the big brake upgrade you just did the front. Is that how it's done? I don't know these things. I was looking for slotted or drilled rotors. Everone seems to go with the drilled. Should I be only looking to put the drilled rotors on the front or do I put them on the front and back. I'm sure some people put them on both but I noticed that most sellers on ebay sell the front rotors. Should I be getting drilled in the front and regular rotors in the back or what? I'm confused. What's better???

jstrat85
12-19-2004, 08:26 PM
if i was you i would do a big brake upgrade! its worth every penney!! it saved my life yesterday on the highway!! im going to put crossdrilled rotors in the back also, it looks better and its good because it cools down the rotors faster! and also because im not a fan of presolted:( GO WITH CROSSDRILLED ROTORS!

mr. gatsbury
12-19-2004, 09:20 PM
ok, what exactly is the big brake upgrade (components) and how much did it cost you?

Does this seem expensive to you? Seems a little high to me...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33564&item=7941616948&rd=1

jstrat85
12-20-2004, 06:42 PM
for rotors and pads thats not bad at all! for the big brake kit it consist of 2 13' 4 piston caliper, 2 stainless steel brake lines ,4 axis brake pads, and 2 13' crossdrilled rotors. i think like $2,400 around there.

Brabus
12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
That's my Brembo in the back...

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/C36/La_India_3_001.jpg

1DOPE230
12-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Most daily drivers don't need a big brake upgrade, it's completely unnecessary. Just get some nice Brembo blanks and a set of nice pads, cross-drilled or slotted rotors are just for show. That is unless you're driving 200mph on some sort of circuit track. The cross-drilled or slotted rotors will actually wear your pads faster than a blank rotor. It's mostly a show off mod, but if you have the dough, go for it.

jstrat85
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
the purpose of crossdrilled rotors are for better brakeing, they cool off faster then the one that are not cross drilled or preslotted. there not for show.

joeyskates
12-26-2004, 06:17 PM
I think they are definitely cool but I would have went with maybe the silver caliper, the red one stands out a little too much for me.

1DOPE230
12-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by jstrat85
the purpose of crossdrilled rotors are for better brakeing, they cool off faster then the one that are not cross drilled or preslotted. there not for show.

Originally posted by 1DOPE230
cross-drilled or slotted rotors are just for show. That is unless you're driving 200mph on some sort of circuit track.

Most if not all of the people on here are not doing the required driving to necessitate a cross-drilled and/or slotted rotor. So I will reiterate, THEY ARE A SHOW OFF MOD!!! Please learn to read.

mr. gatsbury
01-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Most if not all of the people on here are not doing the required driving to necessitate a cross-drilled and/or slotted rotor. So I will reiterate, THEY ARE A SHOW OFF MOD!!! Please learn to read.

If they cool down faster it shouldn't really matter if im braking at 80 or 140 when you think about it. If they cool off faster they cool off faster and that's pretty much it. Right? Under normal and agressive driving it just keeps the brakes cooler which is good either way... IMO

1DOPE230
01-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
If they cool down faster it shouldn't really matter if im braking at 80 or 140 when you think about it. If they cool off faster they cool off faster and that's pretty much it. Right? Under normal and agressive driving it just keeps the brakes cooler which is good either way... IMO

But you could get just as good braking from new blanks, new pads, stainless steel lines, different brake fluid, different master cylinder and a different proportioning valve and it won't run you an arm and a leg. The answer isn't always just get prettier brakes. Yes they will cool faster than a blank rotor, but are you driving aggressively enough to necessitate a $1200 brake upgrade? If you think you are, you're probably not, and if you've just answered no, then this is a show off mod. For more aggressive braking, I would get a set of Brembo blanks(will not wear as fast), a set of quality pads(EBC greenstuff are a good choice), SS brake lines and a change of fluid. That's all you really need.

mr. gatsbury
01-08-2005, 08:30 PM
But you could get just as good braking from new blanks, new pads, stainless steel lines, different brake fluid, different master cylinder and a different proportioning valve and it won't run you an arm and a leg. The answer isn't always just get prettier brakes. Yes they will cool faster than a blank rotor, but are you driving aggressively enough to necessitate a $1200 brake upgrade? If you think you are, you're probably not, and if you've just answered no, then this is a show off mod. For more aggressive braking, I would get a set of Brembo blanks(will not wear as fast), a set of quality pads(EBC greenstuff are a good choice), SS brake lines and a change of fluid. That's all you really need.

You're funny dude. Seroiusly though I do appreciate your opinion. I know it is stupid to spend money on some unecessary shit just to do it but I can get the crossdrilled brembo's some pads for about $400 bucks total. For less than half of what you estimated it wouldn't you do it? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it. Plus there's nothing wrong with a show off mod, I'm the king of show off mods....lol. Just getting started with the benz. I'll try to find and post some pics of my 3rd gen RX7 to show you what I mean. Thanks for the imput though. Any suggestions on tires?

1DOPE230
01-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
You're funny dude. Seroiusly though I do appreciate your opinion. I know it is stupid to spend money on some unecessary shit just to do it but I can get the crossdrilled brembo's some pads for about $400 bucks total. For less than half of what you estimated it wouldn't you do it? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it. Plus there's nothing wrong with a show off mod, I'm the king of show off mods....lol. Just getting started with the benz. I'll try to find and post some pics of my 3rd gen RX7 to show you what I mean. Thanks for the imput though. Any suggestions on tires?
But you're talking about swapping for cross-drilled rotors and new pads and I'm talking about a big brake upgrade, which are two totally different things. If you want this just to show-off (which btw I'm not necessarilt against), get new rotors like you want to. I just don't see how somone can drop $1200 on brakes because they look pretty.

jstrat85
01-09-2005, 05:59 PM
my goal is to get in magazines and win shows! for me i cant have cars that are stock! i want to have a car that when i drive i want people to stop and look at! and about the money, you only live ones! live your life buddy;) when people pas away they take nothing with them, not even there underware!;) so dont be scared to spen money on something that might save your life one day!

mr. gatsbury
01-11-2005, 02:59 PM
what do you guys think of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33564&item=7946611007&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I have to wait 3 days for my paypal account to clear so I'll be getting something then...

OR these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33564&item=7945533937&rd=1

which of the two? I've heard in this thread that crossdrilled and slotted are not as good as just drilled or just slotted...

BangnBenz
01-27-2005, 01:15 PM
>