PDA

View Full Version : C230 starts, then dies

vbrock1137
12-17-2004, 10:13 PM
I have a '97 C230, non-kompressor that has taken very progressively longer to start the last few weeks, but nothing I thought was of concern; barely even noticeable. It would take like two or three cranks to turn over, but then ran great. Tonight though, it started after a couple cranks, ran fine for a minute or so, but then started acting strange. The revs fluctuate very quickly, about twice a second around a thousand rpm, but not very largue fluctuations, maybe a hundred rpm. As this occurs the lights dim, the stereo turns off and the motor decreases rpms untill it very slowly dies. Then the car will not start, the battery seems to be dead.
This happened twice tonight, but after jump-starting the car ran just fine. After each jump the car would start and run great, but only once.
This has happened twice before after the battery has been run down for stupid reasons (lights left on, etc.) with exactly the same symptoms, but it never returned until now. It seems to me like maybe the battery has gone bad and the alternator cannot produce enought voltage just after startup to keep the car running...? I thought the battery was only required to start the car, and the alternator took over after that. Maybe the alternator has gone bad...?
I thought about searching for this, but I had no clue what to search for. Sorry if there has already been a post like this. Does anyone know what's causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jnenad16
12-18-2004, 03:18 AM
from what you have said so far, it sounds like a problem with the charging system, ie. battery, alternator, bad ground, short circuit..., but it you be helpful if you could scan for any fault codes. did the CEL go off at any time? have you tried to rev the engine right as it starts acting up? check if the coolant temp sensor, crank sensor, cam sensor, mass air sensor have a good connection.

nenad

vbrock1137
12-18-2004, 08:40 AM
nenad: I've tried giving it gas, but there is no response at all once the symptoms start. The CEL came on for maybe 30 seconds a week or two ago I think, but the car was running great at the time.

djdoughboy
12-18-2004, 09:36 AM
your battery is probably dead... it may be the alternator... but i think it would distribute different signs if it were the alternator... i.e. it would not run fine after a jump...

jnenad16
12-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by vbrock1137
nenad: I've tried giving it gas, but there is no response at all once the symptoms start. The CEL came on for maybe 30 seconds a week or two ago I think, but the car was running great at the time.

i am not sure, but one or more sensors might be the problem. I would get it scanned for codes, and most likely the mass air sensor is bad, or coolant temp sensor. but like i said, get it scanned first, and then you can be pointed in the right direction. let me know what happens.

nenad

djdoughboy
12-18-2004, 01:22 PM
if it was the MAS the car would most likely start fine... but then hesitate and surge when driving... and sometimes die... i guess it could be the MAS... but the syptoms dont quite sound like it... plus the engine would definitely throw a code if it was the MAS...

SLAMMED_C
12-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Im guessing since it started and ran fine for a bit.. then died out with all the symptoms you said and wouldnt restart.. kinda sounds like a charging system problem, or a bad battery not letting the charging system charge the battery.
it could be the crank sensor.. but other items in the car should still work (ie. radio, cluster lights, dome lamps...)

will it ever restart?? wait 10 or 15 mins an it restarts and drives fone for a bit again?

what happens when the car dies out?.. will the key still go to position 2 and start position, do the lights and radio still work when it dies out?

vbrock1137
12-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Battery was replaced for free under warranty, she runs great now.

It showed the exact symptoms of a dead battery though. Once it died it wouldnt restart, nothing worked. I knew the battery was the problem from previous experiences with leaving something on and killing the battery. Turned out I was right:cool: