PDA

View Full Version : Camber Adjustment For 'rear' Of 202

CKlasse
06-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Hey,

Those who lowered their car and seek to adjust their rear camber back to -.5 to -1.0 should already knew that W202 does not have adjustable camber.

Recently, I inquired a major alignment products/tools manufacturer, Speciality Products, Inc regarding a camber kit for the GOLF MK IV (Bro's), PASSAT, and of course the beloved W202. They recommended Spec-Prod shims for the rear. The calculation/installation are tricky, but it does the trick. Now, I only have them done on the GOLF & PASSAT last week, so by all mean, durability or endurance is something to be seen.

Furthermore, these shims are nothing more than tappered off plastic 'spacer' installed behind your drum/rear break. The angled shim corrects the Camber quite effectively.

Finally, I am having the same kit installed on the W202 in a week or so. If anyone has some experience with the same products, please do share the bads and goods.

The following is the company's info.
Speciality Products Inc.
800-525-6505.

Ciao!

jnolte
06-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Hey,

Those who lowered their car and seek to adjust their rear camber back to -.5 to -1.0 should already knew that W202 does not have adjustable camber.

Recently, I inquired a major alignment products/tools manufacturer, Speciality Products, Inc regarding a camber kit for the GOLF MK IV (Bro's), PASSAT, and of course the beloved W202. They recommended Spec-Prod shims for the rear. The calculation/installation are tricky, but it does the trick. Now, I only have them done on the GOLF & PASSAT last week, so by all mean, durability or endurance is something to be seen.

Furthermore, these shims are nothing more than tappered off plastic 'spacer' installed behind your drum/rear break. The angled shim corrects the Camber quite effectively.

Finally, I am having the same kit installed on the W202 in a week or so. If anyone has some experience with the same products, please do share the bads and goods.

The following is the company's info.
Speciality Products Inc.
800-525-6505.

Ciao!

How much did you pay for em?? did you have a shop install them or did you do it??

RegaRdz

J nolte

CKlasse
06-16-2003, 08:56 PM
There were three of us, however, it was our instructor (MechEngineer) who did most of the work. It costed $20 per box of 4 shims. One corner requires upto 2 shims. :)

nokia8860
06-17-2003, 08:00 AM
They shoved those on my MkII but mines where out of metal though. I didnt go to a special shop for them though. Just went to a local alignment shop and he said that my aligment was out of wack because of my drop that he would put these wedges in.

However mines was installed between the the shock and the lower shock bolts for the push.

CKlasse
06-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Nokia,

Did it last long? Considering what's this made off, I would say no more than 2 years before readjustment needed.

nokia8860
06-17-2003, 04:34 PM
They are "expendable" so each time you get an alignment you should have them stick in a new set. But if youre asking if they kept with the car instead of fly off while driving.... they stuck.

J Irwan
06-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Would please someone post an update when available

this would be a good mod, since the chamber kit cost approx $300

Regardz,

J Irwan

nokia8860
06-19-2003, 05:07 PM
http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/prod_dynamic/prod_photos/75200.jpg

http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/prod_dynamic/prod_illustra/75200ill.jpg

CKlasse is this it?

CKlasse
06-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Nokia..no, those are the plastic kind. I have had bad experience with those. The new one is made of nylon of some sort. It supposed to be much stronger. I'll post picture if I have a chance.

J Irwan
06-19-2003, 05:36 PM
hm.......:ermm: :ermm:

How do you mount this...

from the pic , looks like it has to be mounted behind the hub carrier...????

Regardz,

J Irwan

CKlasse
06-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Yes, they are mounted behind your brake shield/drums. :)

speedybenz
06-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Why don't you have the rear camber links you can buy from Benzsboy installed. They will do a better job and will not ever go out of adjustment.

http://benzboy.com/Parts/carview.php?view=43

Jeff

714guy
06-19-2003, 07:26 PM
is it just those two bars that adjust the camber?? that looks really simple.

speedybenz
06-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Yes, just those two bars. They have threaded rod ends on each end and allow easy adjustment of camber.

Jeff

Rocky
06-20-2003, 02:50 AM
First, I read benzboy custom makes them and he isn't making anymore.

Seconed, those are for a W124.

speedybenz
06-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Well he is making them as I have a set in my garage to install and while for a W124, they do fit a W202.

And they are very nicely made and complete.

Jeff

Rocky
06-20-2003, 07:35 AM
You sure they fit? I thought you had to modify the control arm fo r them to fit like drilling new mounting hold or something?

man got a contact # and how much?

JRE320
06-20-2003, 08:15 AM
It say's drilling required and for racing only?

Rocky
06-20-2003, 09:34 AM
I think you need to drill a new hole in the upper control arm or something like that so you can attach the comber rod. The stock hole is either too small or too close to fit the rod.

speedybenz
06-20-2003, 09:41 AM
He used 1/2" rod ends and the stock holes are 12mm. So you need to open up the holes 0.040", which would be like 5mins with a small round file.

The refenece to racing is that these arm do not have any rubber bushing, so thier is some potential to have some unwanted noise. But with good rod ends the noise is nill.

Jeff

J Irwan
07-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
He used 1/2" rod ends and the stock holes are 12mm. So you need to open up the holes 0.040", which would be like 5mins with a small round file.

The refenece to racing is that these arm do not have any rubber bushing, so thier is some potential to have some unwanted noise. But with good rod ends the noise is nill.

Jeff

Jeff,

Can't he make correct size for the hole, so we don't have to anything to make the hole fit..???

Have you fitted this on your car yet...?
Also what is the update the bushing man...? :p

Regardz,

CKlasse
07-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Jeff,

any chances you have installed these on your C43 by now? How much adjustment do these rods have. Thanks

speedybenz
07-06-2003, 07:49 AM
CKlass,

I was going to put them on but decided against it. I know there would be several degrees of camber adjustment if they were on.

I am positive that you could start with -2 degrees camber and adjust the wheels to 0 camber.

But I am looking into Metric Rod ends and Metric tie rods so I could make sets of these so they will just fit right up.

I have a quote on metirc heim joint rod ends, now I just need to find the tie rods.

Jeff

Rocky
07-06-2003, 08:01 AM
Speedy, you think you can make some for sale to some of us?

speedybenz
07-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Yes, on these camber adjustment rods/links I would want to make 4 to 6 sets. The cost of the rod ends go done some and the effort on this fabrication is not too much more to make several sets.

I would like to get a list of people and then take a deposit forthe parts cost.

The cost will only be the parts cost plus the cost of any outside labor.

Rough estimate is about $200 for the two camber links, one for the left and right side of the car.

I will do my search for metric tie rods to finish up the parts list.

Jeff

CKlasse
07-06-2003, 10:19 AM
CKlass,

I was going to put them on but decided against it. I know there would be several degrees of camber adjustment if they were on.

I am positive that you could start with -2 degrees camber and adjust the wheels to 0 camber.

But I am looking into Metric Rod ends and Metric tie rods so I could make sets of these so they will just fit right up.

I have a quote on metirc heim joint rod ends, now I just need to find the tie rods.

Jeff

Jeff, if you found the metric joint rod ends.. you can combine it with the benzboy tie rod. I am sure they fit right in. BTW if you do find these metric ball joint... I am interested in replacing few of the woren out OEM ball joint. So far no luck on metric sizes.

speedybenz
07-06-2003, 04:12 PM
CKlass,

The threads on the metric rod ends would not fit into the SAE threaded Benzboy tie rods

But I think I might have found a source for both.

Jeff

714guy
07-06-2003, 04:23 PM
whats the differents between metric rods and SAE, is it just better fitment or something else??

thanks for fill me in

jason

Rocky
07-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Speedy, i'll front up some cash if you can make me a set if it works out.

speedybenz
07-06-2003, 09:05 PM

Bolts, threads here is the USA are based on a diameter of so many inches and so many threads per inch. Such a bolt could be a 3/8" bolt with 24 threads per inch.

Metric bolts, threads are based on a diameter of so many milimeters and so many milimeters per thread pitch. A common metric bolt, say your brake calipers bolts would be 12mm diameter with 1.5 milimeter per thread pitch.

Rocky,

When I find a good, dependable manufacturer of the parts we need then I will let the people interested know what the parts cost are and the time frame to get the items fabricated.

Until then I would not want any deposit for parts costs. And I know you do not know me from Adam, but what I design will be a simple bolt up item that should allow several degrees of camber adjustment.

Jeff

Jeff

Rocky
07-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Jeff, no worries, I trust most of the people on this board. Let me know if you need anything..i'll try my bestest.

J Irwan
08-01-2003, 08:06 PM

Bolts, threads here is the USA are based on a diameter of so many inches and so many threads per inch. Such a bolt could be a 3/8" bolt with 24 threads per inch.

Metric bolts, threads are based on a diameter of so many milimeters and so many milimeters per thread pitch. A common metric bolt, say your brake calipers bolts would be 12mm diameter with 1.5 milimeter per thread pitch.

Rocky,

When I find a good, dependable manufacturer of the parts we need then I will let the people interested know what the parts cost are and the time frame to get the items fabricated.

Until then I would not want any deposit for parts costs. And I know you do not know me from Adam, but what I design will be a simple bolt up item that should allow several degrees of camber adjustment.

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff, any luck with these I am just wondering ;)

Regardz,

Rocky
08-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Awesome..i'll be first in line :)

Three Point 6
08-02-2003, 07:07 AM
Sign me up too! I'm a little worried about my -2.2 out back. The hub carrier shim idea sounds like it'll work, but I want an easier solution that wont 'crush' or 'walk'.

CKlasse
08-02-2003, 08:51 AM
I never actually installed the shims on the benz as I havent found my 'desired height' on the vehicle just yet. I am raising the car back up as soon as I could get my hand on a bay.

As far as camber correction, I might got with Jeff's original plan. Get a pair of benzboy w124 kit and drilled a larger hole on the upper arm. It seems to make more sense to me.

speedybenz
08-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Alright, I just ordered the parts to make the Camber Arms.

Price will be about $250 a set and will use metric hardware, so it will not require that the stock mounts be ground larger.

The Rod Ends also are very high quality and are Teflon lined to self lubricate and reduce noise.

Please let me know if your interested in buying a set, so I know how many to make up.

Jeff

Rocky
08-06-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm interested in a set for sure.

MBATF
08-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Alright, I just ordered the parts to make the Camber Arms.

Price will be about $250 a set and will use metric hardware, so it will not require that the stock mounts be ground larger.

The Rod Ends also are very high quality and are Teflon lined to self lubricate and reduce noise.

Please let me know if your interested in buying a set, so I know how many to make up.

Jeff Is this for teh Cambers front and back??? i m interesting at it. but i need little mor edetail of how much you it actually corrct?

speedybenz
08-06-2003, 07:34 PM
MBATF,

The arms or links will be for the rear only. To do the front would require a redesign of the upper control arm and that is just a little too much work.

The rear camber links should allow adjustment of about 4 degrees both positive and negative.

So if your car now sits at a -2.2 degrees camber you would be able to adjust it to zero camber if you wanted.

The rod ends are high quality alloy steel, chrome plated with teflon bearing races to help movement and noise. To get the correct spacing to the stock mounts, stainless steel spacers will be machined to a close tolerance to provide a precision fit.

Jeff

MBATF
08-06-2003, 07:38 PM
MBATF,

The arms or links will be for the rear only. To do the front would require a redesign of the upper control arm and that is just a little too much work.

The rear camber links should allow adjustment of about 4 degrees both positive and negative.

So if your car now sits at a -2.2 degrees camber you would be able to adjust it to zero camber if you wanted.

The rod ends are high quality alloy steel, chrome plated with teflon bearing races to help movement and noise. To get the correct spacing to the stock mounts, stainless steel spacers will be machined to a close tolerance to provide a precision fit.

Jeff Thanks speedy benz, is there a limited time for us to purchas it from u? or it can be ordered any time? also, what can i do to correct teh front cambers? cuz now seem like the K-Mac kit will not correct to Zero completely...

CKlasse
08-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Jeff,

Count me in for a pair. I have a 95 C220 if that matters. Are you still interested in a trade for a pair of Carbon Fiber laminated tips? :)

speedybenz
08-07-2003, 09:01 AM
The Camber arms/links will take about 2 weeks maybe 3 to get the parts and machine the spacers-inserts.

There is no time limit now on buying these arms, but I would like a "show of hands" on how many sets to make.

Thanks,

Jeff

jnolte
08-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Jeff

I may want one. I am not sure though. is installation hard or what???? What is it exactly that makes it fix the camber?? Could it adjust it to 0.00??

regards

J nolte

moedigga
08-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Jeff,

You can count on myself wanting a set if you would put one together for me. I am putting my springs on next weekend and will take set as soon as you can have one ready. I dont want to be buying a set of tires every 3 months, Thanks-MOE

CKlasse
08-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Jeff

I may want one. I am not sure though. is installation hard or what???? What is it exactly that makes it fix the camber?? Could it adjust it to 0.00??

regards

J nolte

J Nolte,

I believe Jeff's camber kit is an adjustable upper links. If you see your rear suspension, there are 5 links. You could fix the camber angle by lengthen the upper link -- pivoting the wheel into 0 camber angle.

What I would be interested to know is what kind of joint will Jeff use in this kit. :)

Rocky
08-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Jeff, you have a list of people yet? Make sure i'm on that list please hehehehe

speedybenz
08-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Rocky,

Yes, you are on the list.

Jeff

Rocky
08-08-2003, 05:13 AM
Woo hoo...being that i'm located in Toronto Canada (best place in the world), would that be a problem? Do you accept monopoly money? hahahaha

speedybenz
08-17-2003, 05:54 AM
I am about 2 hours away from finishing up the first couple sets of cambers arms.

The only thing holding me back is installing my new brakes. More on that later.

The arms are "I must say myself, Way Bitch'in". Everything is sized to fit right in, just remove the old and slide in the new. All the spacers are Stainless Steel and will not rust or corrode.

Pics in a day or two.

Jeff

speedybenz
08-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Below is the finished Camber Arm. The rod end inserts are drilled for use of stock metric hardware. The rod ends bearing race is a Kelvar-Teflon bonded material to provide a tight fitting bearing and to reduce noise. the inserts are stainless steel. The arm is DOM steel thats Cadnium plated for rust prevention.

http://speedybenz.home.comcast.net/CamberarmApart.jpg

CKlasse
08-19-2003, 10:21 PM
That looks EXTREMELY nice.... can I change my mind about your badboyz set for these custom ones? :D :D

JRE320
08-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Looking really great. Jeff you gonna install that on your C43? ;) :)

speedybenz
08-20-2003, 07:53 AM
JRE320,

I do plan on putting a set on my C43, but I will make sets up for those who would like to have the ability to change their rear camber settings.

CKlasse, We can work on that. I think you would be much happier with these arms instead of the Benzsboy arms.

CKlasse
08-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Jeff,

Let me know how much. I sent those tips to you last week under the company's name. Make sure you dont miss it :)

JRE320
08-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Jeff,
Is that gonna be standard to all C-class like the C230, C280, C36 and the C43? Something like 1 size fits all you know.... ;) :)

speedybenz
08-20-2003, 11:06 AM
JRE320,

Yes I think all the C class cars can use these as well as the E class and CLK class. Their might be others too. There is an easy 1 to 1.5" of adjustment to the length of the arms so I would expect they could be used on many different Classes of Mercedes.

Jeff

714guy
08-20-2003, 11:43 AM
wow look really nice Jeff, what you think the price range will be on a set? Also are you planning on making anything for the front???

speedybenz
08-20-2003, 08:08 PM
To all interested in the Camber arms the price will be $250 for the set.

I will make 10 sets and so far there are 3 names one the list. Plus I will take a set. So that leaves 6 sets to sell. If you want them let me know now.

At the end of next week if the sets are not spoken for I will extend the offer to Bnzsport and MbWorld.

Thanks, I hope all the sets go to Club202 members.

Jeff

MBATF
08-20-2003, 10:49 PM
To all interested in the Camber arms the price will be $250 for the set.

I will make 10 sets and so far there are 3 names one the list. Plus I will take a set. So that leaves 6 sets to sell. If you want them let me know now.

At the end of next week if the sets are not spoken for I will extend the offer to Bnzsport and MbWorld.

Thanks, I hope all the sets go to Club202 members.

Jeff Jeff, I'm in.

Rocky
08-21-2003, 02:49 AM
They look awesome jeff.

How do we pay you?

714guy
08-21-2003, 06:50 AM
Jeff save me a set than please!!! and how do we pay???

speedybenz
08-23-2003, 08:07 PM
http://speedybenz.home.comcast.net/DSC00643.JPG

And installed on the car.
http://speedybenz.home.comcast.net/DSC00649.JPG

J Irwan
08-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Jeff,

since this new arm is straight unlike curved OEM ones,

Have you ever felt it bumping onto the swaybar when hard cornering or when you have rear passenger..???

I am also would be interested in a set...

Regardz,

speedybenz
08-23-2003, 09:28 PM
Junadi,

My Bad,

The pic I took was before I adjusted the sway bar links to raise the sway bar arm up and increased the clearance between the new camber arm the the sway bar.

So I am sure now there will be no contact between the two arms.

Jeff

J Irwan
08-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Junadi,

My Bad,

The pic I took was before I adjusted the sway bar links to raise the sway bar arm up and increased the clearance between the new camber arm the the sway bar.

So I am sure now there will be no contact between the two arms.

Jeff

oh ok..
cool..
I was just lil worried they might come in contact under hard-cornering.. :p

btw, how much would it cost for the set..
can I alsospecify the color , I want aluminum instead of the gold color :D:D:D

Regardz,

Rocky
08-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Looks awesome jeff..can't wait for them.

Do you notice any weird driving behaviors with your custom camber rods from stock?

1SIKBNZ
08-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Hey whats up. Sorry if i sound like an idiot im just really startin to get into the car/ mod scene and just wanna make sure im correct in that "camber" is when you lower the car and the wheels slant a slight bit? right? if thats correct than i have this problem and would like to see about correcting it. also Jeff if i were to just shot up to sac to purchase this from you any possibility on install help? Thanks alot guys!

toamend
08-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Speedybenz,
I've had my 99 C43 for 10k miles now and am wondering why I need new rear tires already! The previous owner had put H&R springs in and it is fairly low, with way too much camber on the rears. I think your kit is just what I'm looking for.

What is your impression now since driving on them for a few days? Do you still have any sets left?
Thanks,
WTS

speedybenz
08-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Junadi, The arms are high strength steel that is Cad Plated. I can't really change the color but they can be easily painted if you desired. I put you on the list.

toamend, I took a pretty good rip yesterday and they feel really no different than the stock links, maybe just a tad more responsive in the back, lick the rerar tracks a little better.

The sets are $250 and it is going to be two weeks to complete

Right now, this is the list:

1. MBTF
2. Rocky
3. Renn208
4. 714Guy
5. CKlasse
6. Speedybenz
7. J. Irwin
8. toamend
9. Moe
10. kodiak

Ten sets are all I am going to commit to at this point.

I hope noone is left out that wanted these right now. If so don't worry I will make more sets in the next few months. Maybe sooner if 10 more people indicate they want camber arms for their cars.

Jeff

J Irwan
08-25-2003, 02:31 PM
I thought Denlasoul also in..?

Maybe you can confirm that Denla.. :)

Regardz,

kodiak
08-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Game on - count me in Jeff. That makes 10.

~dnm

MBATF
08-25-2003, 04:39 PM
good taht i m #1 on the list cuz my tire are getting eating out pretty soon due to teh bad camber..and i just need it soon as possible to save myself some tires. LOL:D

CKlasse
08-25-2003, 09:13 PM
payment info?

Rocky
08-26-2003, 06:13 AM
Do you take Canadian Tire money? hahaha

Ok..how do we get the grub to ya jeff?