PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel noise

htfan1
12-26-2004, 02:06 PM
My steering wheel makes a rubbing noise (squeaks loudly) in cold temps. Doesn't happen when it warms up.

I'm wondering if I can do anything to quiet it down without having to remove the wheel. I can try spraying some lubricant, but I would like to hear from club202 first.

Any ideas!

jnenad16
12-26-2004, 02:16 PM
are you sure its coming from the steering wheel? i might be the steering shaft or even the gearbox.

nenad

htfan1
12-26-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the wheel. If I put pressure on different parts of the wheel it will temporarily change or even stop the noise.

jnenad16
12-26-2004, 03:40 PM
im not sure what could it be. try taking the air bag off to see it the air bag connetor wire is pinched, or take the whole wheel off, maybe other wires are pinched(like turn signal and CC wires)

nenad

htfan1
12-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Is pulling the wheel off a simple process? (I think I saw a thread on it somewhere on the site. )

What about special tool needs or generating an SRS light issue? (It's probably done with the battery disconnected.)

jnenad16
12-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by htfan1
Is pulling the wheel off a simple process? (I think I saw a thread on it somewhere on the site. )

What about special tool needs or generating an SRS light issue? (It's probably done with the battery disconnected.)

first you need to disconnect the battery.
then, you will need 4mm hex "L" wrench to remove the air bag, and for the steering wheel, you will need 10mm hex socket and a strong ratchet or better yet a breaker bar, and also you will need someone to hold the wheel tightly while you try to crack open the bolt that holds the wheel to the shaft(i recommend someone strong to do this, since the bolt is pretty tight). let me know if you encounter any problems.

nenad

htfan1
12-27-2004, 06:40 AM
Thank you nenad.

I'll give it a try.

69chevelle
12-27-2004, 06:35 PM
How do you stop the squeek coming from the center console area near the shifter? I think its the bracket around the shifter..

swank
05-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 69chevelle
How do you stop the squeek coming from the center console area near the shifter? I think its the bracket around the shifter..

Does it vibrate? I had a similar problem when letting off the gas the shifter would vibrate horribly. Forgot what it was that had to be replaced but it was near $400-600 :(

69chevelle
05-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by swank
Does it vibrate? I had a similar problem when letting off the gas the shifter would vibrate horribly. Forgot what it was that had to be replaced but it was near $400-600 :(

No its not the shifter itself..just that plastic bracket