PDA

View Full Version : Blacking out rims cost?!?

FreeStyler
12-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Anyone know roughly what a reasonable price is to black out your rims? An example would be the style that pnsji had....Black face, leaving lip polished silver.:D

KenzBenz
12-27-2004, 01:21 AM
it could cost less than 20$ if you do it in your garage

pnsji
12-27-2004, 01:25 AM
hehehe you got what you paid for. I paid more than $1K for mine.....

KenzBenz
12-27-2004, 01:40 AM
hehe yup u get what u pay for unless your reallly good

MrSpace
12-27-2004, 05:40 AM
I'm getting mine done in my friend's shop if I decide to black them out (still undecided).. he has all the powdercoat equipment :)

Etienne

FreeStyler
12-27-2004, 08:42 AM
LoL, I dont want to do it in my garage...:p

joeyskates
12-29-2004, 08:54 AM
I think powder coating would definitely be the way to go and if you can't afford it, you can get one of those Eastwood kits and do it in your moms oven :p

alboogiee
07-28-2005, 08:28 PM
hey sorry to drag an old dead thread back to life, but i need some assistance...

i am in the bay area and i need to refinish my rims, i am 100% going to powder coat them black to match my car like the ones mentioned above (minus the polished lip..cheaper), i am willing to pay the $1k, but i would like to pay less, i know of pacrims in pitsburg ca but does anyone know of any other good shops? i am taking my rims to precision wheels works in sactown to have the chrome striped off b/c pac rims cant do it, if i can find a shop that will do both that would be great! im am starting this on Wed of next week so any input on northern california wheel powdercoating shops would be needed ASAP!

holla at cha boy!

Alex

pnsji
07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
I sent my wheels to
http://www.transwheel.com/

They are located in Indiana.

BTW, how do they strip it? How is the surface of the wheel after the strip it? Will it be smooth? rough? That will affect your powdercoating.

High polished lip = not that much.

alboogiee
07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
much thanks Susanto, imma give them a call in the morning...

i dont know how the wheels will turn out after stipping, which is all the shop in sactown is going to do, no repair of rash or anything. i am assuing it will be smooth b/c they are just dipping the wheels in a chemical that will remove the chrome, but b/c of my rims condition, i.e. were submerged in water, they might need to sand to get all the chome/dirt/mold/bumps/whatever out...

i was thinking about a polished lip but after calling a few shops and being quoted DOUBLE $400+ w/the lip compared to $175+ w/o a polished lip i was leaning toward all black w/ chrom center cap.

and then i was going to powder coat the grill frame leaving the slits chrome and the side moldings that are grey painting black leaving that small chrome strip... (wifes idea actualy, not bad if you ask me)

oh the many many ways to spend money thoughtfuly...

Dr. ///AMG
07-29-2005, 01:58 AM
www.magmasters.com will do it. WAY cheaper than $1k though.

JAY4
07-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Another question for pnsji (or anyone else with expirence)--What did you do with the center caps, paint them? Just wondering the best way to get the caps to match the black wheel. I can't see them being powdercoated since they are plastic?? thanks

pnsji
07-29-2005, 09:41 AM
You got what you pay for. You want perfect match and high quality paint, then you have to pay for it.

I have a body shop to color match the center caps as well. They are not powdercoated.

aintME
08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by alboogiee
hey sorry to drag an old dead thread back to life, but i need some assistance...

i am in the bay area and i need to refinish my rims, i am 100% going to powder coat them black to match my car like the ones mentioned above (minus the polished lip..cheaper), i am willing to pay the $1k, but i would like to pay less, i know of pacrims in pitsburg ca but does anyone know of any other good shops? i am taking my rims to precision wheels works in sactown to have the chrome striped off b/c pac rims cant do it, if i can find a shop that will do both that would be great! im am starting this on Wed of next week so any input on northern california wheel powdercoating shops would be needed ASAP!

holla at cha boy!

Alex

btw, how much did they charge you to strip the chrome?

alboogiee
08-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by aintME
btw, how much did they charge you to strip the chrome?

here's an update for my shizzle...

cost of $5 a rim to remove old tires

cost of $45 a rim to remove chrome (although was quoted $35 over phone, and i do not know what the finish i.e. rough or smooth is after stripping)

cost of $200 a rim to poweder coat 040 black and machine polish lip

total $1000 no tax...because all labor

i took to precision wheel works in sacramento ca (916) 641-7454 ask for B.J.

kind of a hole in the wall shop, no web site either, but nice people and really worked with me on price... i should have the rims back in early sept, wrapped in pirelli pf zero asimmetrico 225/40 front 18x8 in rim and 265/30 rear 18x9 in rim

anyone know any local shops (davis/dixon/fairfield/vacaville areas or even sac town) that WILL NOT scratch rims when they mount and weight the rims? (cheapness is preffered, yes imma low balla) i had a bad experican at americas tire scratching ADRs

Alex

Under Pressure
08-11-2005, 07:02 PM
albooogie, unless the chrome is flaking off your monoblocks, I would leave it chrome. I think chrome is hot on red and black cars, and maybe the whole black wheels w/ polished lip thing is kind of getting played. If I was getting rims for a black Benz, it would either be high polished forged aluminum or chrome AMG wheels

alboogiee
08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
albooogie, unless the chrome is flaking off your monoblocks, I would leave it chrome. I think chrome is hot on red and black cars, and maybe the whole black wheels w/ polished lip thing is kind of getting played. If I was getting rims for a black Benz, it would either be high polished forged aluminum or chrome AMG wheels

i agree...but like you said the chrome is peeling so i gotta do something...it was sooo bad the guy i bought them from had them in his flooded basement so not only was chrome peeling but there was mold and 2 of the wheels the water damage stripped half the chrome...i would have redone them in chrome but b/c of the damage i was told rechroming would only stick for about 1/2 years then start to peel again, and perma star a patented chrome like plating by pacrims would be best but it is a darker chrome, and my other option poweder coating chrome like color, still too dark so i said fook it and go ghetto mofia black on blakc on black... ehh i know its played out (on this forum) but not to many people i know have black rims and if they do they are fake 15inchers on their diamonte or jeep cherokee... so yeah... good lookin out tho, thanks for the input

Alex

Under Pressure
08-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Alright then, be different and get them gold plated. I kid, I kid :D