PDA

View Full Version : need coil end replacement pics/procedure

Three Point 6
12-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Car is sputtering under load again so it looks like coil end time again for the M104 I-6. Problem is I hear all this and that about 'high tension leads', 'resistors', 'coil ends', 3 of this, 3 of that, .....

I just wanna know what needs to be replaced for $40 and how. Pics would be nice also since this is such a common tune on the I-6. Do I need to actually pull out the coils to get to the coil ends? or just replace something on top attached to each coil?? I heard on some posts that the part is under the coil between the spark plug & coil? search here didnt turn up much. Mercedeshop is good but not much there either?

jnenad16
12-27-2004, 12:04 AM
yeah, the coil ends are between the coil and the spark plug. I would also replace the ignition wires with the performance ones, like www.magnecor.com or www.kingsborne.com
also if you have platinum spark plugs, take them out! they will destroy your engine, go with either copper or silver spark plugs.

nenad

Three Point 6
12-27-2004, 11:35 PM
jnedad16,

Thanks. Im going to give Magnacore a call soon...

"17. Why are Magnecor ignition wires for German and some other European vehicles so different ?
We are often asked why the ignition wires we make for German and certain other European vehicles are different to the original wires. The reason is that a great number of German and other European engines are fitted with ignition wires that consist of separate solid plastic (some with metal shields or coated with silicone rubber) spark plug and distributor connectors screwed into solid copper-conductor ignition wire. These connectors contain encapsulated resistors to provide suppression, and it is these costly (to replace) resistor connectors that cause this style of ignition wires to fail.

Magnecor Race Wires for German other European engines completely eliminate the need for resistor-connectors, and owners will notice a difference in engine response with Magnecor Race Wires. Although we are always pleased to hear our wires made such a difference, particularly on Porsche, BMW and Volkswagen engines, we must admit it's not necessarily all because Magnecor Race Wires increased the engine's response and efficiency, as it's more likely some of the improvement emanated from the elimination of the original style of ignition wires that reduced the spark energy available to the spark plugs to provide suppression.

Occasionally, consumers who have their German vehicle's regular maintenance performed by the dealer are advised their Magnecor ignition wires don't have the same resistance as the original wires, and sometimes the dealer justifies the re-installation of the ridiculously expensive limited-life original style resistor-connector ignition wires with this statement. Be assured that Magnecor ignition wires do provide the resistance needed by the ignition system — and without a reduction in spark energy! Magnecor has sold tens of thousands or more wire sets over the last 21 years to replace resistor-connector style ignition wires on BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Volkswagen and other European vehicles."

Rocky
12-28-2004, 05:23 PM
The OEM wires should never need to be replaced, thier built really well. The coil ends...pop off coil, under each coil is a tube attached to it..pop that off and pop on new one. done.

Three Point 6
01-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Just replaced all three 'ends' or 'cable plugs' underneath the coils. Eeezzz. $45.00 and it idles smooth again and runs great. Gotta watch out for the now 'brittle' vacume piping for the emmissions diaphrams on the xhaust manifolds. The piping stays hidden underneath the coil cover(for looks) where the heat is and they broke like glass on me while pulling the coils out!! $3.50 got me 4ft of it in bulk from stealership. I HIGHLY recommend everyone w/ Benz go pick up a few feet of this stuff 'just in case' you working on your car afterhours or on a Sunday.. ;)

Clarifications: coilends are the (3) 5" extensions that connect the coil pak to the (3)spark plugs under them. NOT the 3 little 90deg ones on top connected to the coils. These are the only 3 that need replacing every 40K miles(avg) and are to blame 99% of time misfiring occurs. They are $15.00 each. Beru is the OEM builder.

part# is :

0117 000-159-36-42 cable plug

Rocky
01-06-2005, 04:07 PM
good to hear 3.6