PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to changing the seatbelt buckle?

mbsickness
12-28-2004, 09:29 AM
I have to change the driver's seatbelt buckle on a 94 c280 and was wondering if there were any tricks. I am assuming that the seat needs to be unbolted from the floor. Thanks.

SLAMMED_C
12-28-2004, 07:36 PM
no tricks to changing the seat belt buckle.. unbolt the seat from the floor and basically tip it to the side so you can get at the bolt for the buckle.. no need to remove the seat from the car.
the bolts for the seat to the floor are inverted torx if Im not mistaken (cant remember what size off hand) the bolt for the buckle to the seat is a regular torx (either a 40 or 45... its a big one)
good luck.

mbsickness
12-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the tip. It turns out that the seatbelt buckle is held to the seat frame by two 13mm nuts so I did not have to unbolt the seat from the body. Unfortunately the buckle was not the problem triggering my SRS light. I dropped the car off with my mechanic and we'll see what comes back as the cause. If anyone needs a good driver's seat buckle for a 94....let me know:D

Rocket
12-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by mbsickness
Thanks for the tip. It turns out that the seatbelt buckle is held to the seat frame by two 13mm nuts so I did not have to unbolt the seat from the body. Unfortunately the buckle was not the problem triggering my SRS light. I dropped the car off with my mechanic and we'll see what comes back as the cause. If anyone needs a good driver's seat buckle for a 94....let me know:D

You know even if you fixed the problem the SRS light will not go away unless reset by a diag system. Does your SRS light just come on for 2 minutes or stay on all the time?

JRE320
12-29-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by mbsickness

I can use a driver seat buckle. :D ;)

mbsickness
12-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
You know even if you fixed the problem the SRS light will not go away unless reset by a diag system. Does your SRS light just come on for 2 minutes or stay on all the time?

Well, We'll see what the shop finds out today. The SRS light comes on for the two minutes and then goes out. I checked the resistance of the new buckle and the old one and they both had the same values so I think the buckle was fine.

JRE320 I'll let you know regarding the buckle.

mbsickness
12-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
You know even if you fixed the problem the SRS light will not go away unless reset by a diag system.

I just got a call from the shop and they reset the light as it listed a bad buckle. Even though the car is fixed....is there a way to reset the SRS computer without the diag system? Just curious.

I guess this also means the old buckle is indeed bad and is heading to the trash.