PDA

View Full Version : Will my new Exhaust pass California Smog?

Jmarosi
01-05-2005, 03:32 AM
I have long lived the life of my original CAT and I am replacing the whole exhaust. I am going to go with a High flow Cat that is an OBII type cat (same as what I got) but its high flow. I don’t remember the brand its definitely name brand. Anyways will a new CAT and flowmaster muffler 40 Series, cause my car to fail smog due to emission levels?
SMOG REQUIREMENTS FOR THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA?
Thank you for any imputs.
C220 96'

CKlasse
01-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Flowmaster on a benzo? :(

marksbenz
01-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Flowmaster 40 will sound bad.

Jmarosi
01-06-2005, 02:30 AM
The 40 with a 4 Cly. engine dosent really make much noise I am not looking for noise at all I dont want to turn my car in to a Truck/rice burner. I heard it on a 98' 230 and it was so smooth. That is what I am looking for. Any other sugguestions are welcome.

CKlasse
01-06-2005, 06:58 AM
There are a lot of other 'straight through' mufflers that sounds great (very low tone at lower RPM and back to stock sound on the higher RPM). Eg: Ansa performance, Magnaflow, Remus, etc

The reason the 40 series is not highly recommended because it is NOT straight through, and it has THREE chambers. All these means -back pressure. I would keep the stock muffler instead of going w/ flowmaster.

Remember, what's popular is not always right. And what's right isn't always popular!

alboogiee
01-18-2005, 08:39 PM
i wouldnt risk the smog fail... use the stock exhaust then swap it out for the flowmaster once the smog is passed... check the site below.. you can check the history of ANYONES car that has been smogged in cali... dont really want a fail on you rec.. kinda like an aceident http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx