PDA

View Full Version : All-season Tires

NSXNOS2001
01-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi, i have a question for all you people that have AMG rims or anyone with front rim size 225/45-17 and rear rims size 245/40-17. What types of all season tires did you have with this set up. Also are the tire low profile, and good in snow?

I live in Mass, and we get all types of weather.

stox
01-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Personally, in a climate like Mass. I would recommend dedicated snow tires like Blizzak LM-22's for winter. All seasons are just too much of a compromise. I finally bit the bullet, this season, and will not look back. The difference in performance, in bad weather, is substantial.

Denlasoul
01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Shell out the money to get two sets of wheels and tires. One for winter and one for the rest of the year.

Lucky for most of us in the West, we only need "Summer" tires.

slugger
01-07-2005, 05:16 AM
I live in MA as well and I just switched this year to 225/45/17's, front and back. I don't drive the car during days of heavy snow, but I do drive it as the roads become clear. Regardless, these cars were obviously not built as snow traction vehicles, so you have to just keep in mind that no tire is going to make this car perform exceptionally well in snow, snow tires or not.

I selected Pirelli PZero Nero M & S tires. So far, so good. They are a nice all season radial, smooth, quiet ride, and certainly a lot more aggressive than the stock 15's. They handled very well in a recent rain we had, so I like them at this point.

Good luck in your selection - I would definitely go to the Tire Rack online and read reviews of all of the users for a particular tire you are interested in. I found this very helpful.

Ace
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Has anyone looked into the Toyo PRoxes 4. I have these on my staggered AMG's. They are a geat overall tire and good looking too. I had to run a 255 on the rear b/c they don't have 245 and no problems at all. Check them out here:
http://www.toyocanada.com/products/Proxes4.html

NSXNOS2001
01-07-2005, 04:39 PM
You could really change the size of the tire from 245 to 255. I was looking at the proxes 4 they look great, but couldn't buy them because they did fit on my rear rim. So I'm thinking of buying Kumho ASX all season tire. I hear their a great tire for the price. But if I could chang the size then maybe I would go with the proxes.

Ace
01-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Yah, I had the tire shop check to make sure they would fit. The 255's fit on my 17x8.5 AMG no problem. They put em on and let me drive them around to make sure there was no rubbing as well.
From my experience, i would go for the Proxes, i had no problems but just have your shop make sure for your car. I don't know much about the Kumhos, but I know the proxes have been great for me.

NSXNOS2001
01-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Are the proxes 4 good in snow??? I like the tread...

Ace
01-08-2005, 03:59 PM
It's snowing now where I am and I manage to get around ok in the snow. Still gotta be pretty cautious but i've managed to get from point a to b.

jnolte
01-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by NSXNOS2001
You could really change the size of the tire from 245 to 255. I was looking at the proxes 4 they look great, but couldn't buy them because they did fit on my rear rim. So I'm thinking of buying Kumho ASX all season tire. I hear their a great tire for the price. But if I could chang the size then maybe I would go with the proxes.

i run Kuhmo ASX on my car, no complaints, a little noisy.. great grip, but nothing ocmpared to the michilen piliot sports ASX i used to run.. :(

NSXNOS2001
01-08-2005, 05:01 PM
How are the asx in snow?

J Irwan
01-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Moved to "SUSPENSION TUNING" :)

Regardz,

MclarenPower
01-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Try to get Michelin hyperthread technology works great in snow.Best traction control. Also,check out their Pilot F1 inspired tires.

Rocky
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
There's summer, fall, spring and winter seasons. There is no such thing as all-season. That's my motto.

I have 2 sets of 19 inche AMG Mono II's, one for summer and one for winter.

I had Toyo Proxy T1s's. Total crap after a long time cause the rubber hardens, especially if you store them for the summer.

!!!!!NJ Drive
01-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
There's summer, fall, spring and winter seasons. There is no such thing as all-season. That's my motto.

I have 2 sets of 19 inche AMG Mono II's, one for summer and one for winter.

I had Toyo Proxy T1s's. Total crap after a long time cause the rubber hardens, especially if you store them for the summer. you run 19's in the winter???

Rocky
01-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
you run 19's in the winter???

Ooops i mean 17's haha my typo.