PDA

View Full Version : Made an Appointment for my car

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 08:14 AM
ever since i replaced my 130K old air filter with a K&N filter my car has been getting a check engine light. I detach my batery, and mabye a month later it comes back on..but now it came only two days after i detached the batery so i figured something must be wrong, even though the car runs A-ok. I made an appointment with the local MB stealership, and they told me that it could be bad spark plugs( which i told them that its not) or that there is a possability that its a bad Mass sensor(which im fearing is not)...Im gonna drop by tomorow so that they can check the car out...but my question is, if its the mass sensor, how much do you expect that to be ($$)

Elvir

nokia8860
06-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Depending on how much oil was on yourl filter you could be looking for a new one. Search the site for alternate places to purchase the mas. Installation is really simple.

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 08:35 AM
what places can i look for...?

the instalation, that is as simple as putting a cold air filter on to a car??

Elvir

714guy
06-18-2003, 08:56 AM
the installation is easy then me typing this info down just two clips and your're done, i heard the best deal was from benzbin or if not try mercedesshop.com. they're around 250 or so i think compared too 400+ at the dealers

714guy
06-18-2003, 08:56 AM
the installation is easy then me typing this info down just two clips and your're done, i heard the best deal was from benzbin or if not try mercedesshop.com. they're around 250 or so i think compared too 400+ at the dealers

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 09:00 AM
714 guy,

U got mail!

Elvir

pnsji
06-18-2003, 09:40 AM
a victim of K&N filter oil ........

nokia8860
06-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by pnsji

and to think i got so much crap from ppl cuz i ran the paper stuff :)

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 10:34 AM

What are you talking about pnsji....are there some cases about this

Elvir

JRE320
06-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Did u try reading my tread on AIR MASS? Get your wallet ready and I'm sure your GEO's project will be set aside... :p :D ;) :)

kodiak
06-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Places to look...

www.thebenzbin.com
www.mercedesshop.com/fastlane
www.buymbparts.com
www.autohausaz.com

~dnm

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 11:10 AM
damn man.....i jsut spent 350 to get a new clutch for my geo...plus this...whats next...

edit: plus my car is so high, and its desperatively waiting for the drop

Elvir

pnsji
06-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by C280 JR
What are you talking about pnsji....are there some cases about this

Elvir

I know some people with the same problem (including me).
Once you have K&N in your car, you will have to replace your MAF sensor. Why? Because the excessive oil on the filter stick to the MAF needle and eventually, will make the needle not so sensitive. Hence, you need a new MAF sensor.

It will cost you around $250-$400 depending on where you look at.

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 11:23 AM
so either way after i replace it, wouldnt i still have the same problem as long as i have the K&N

Elvir

pnsji
06-18-2003, 11:24 AM
so either way after i replace it, wouldnt i still have the same problem as long as i have the K&N

Elvir

yupe...
It's junk and you should get rid of it.

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
man so taht is another 42 dolars that i wasted

Elvir

JRE320
06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
damn man.....i jsut spent 350 to get a new clutch for my geo...plus this...whats next...

edit: plus my car is so high, and its desperatively waiting for the drop

Elvir

I told u man... I'll donate $3.00 for your Geo. A gallon of premium unleaded, a lighter and some change for bubble gum. :p :D ;) :)

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 11:27 AM
in that case let me have the 3 bucks and ill go looking for another job

Elvir

pnsji
06-18-2003, 11:30 AM
When some people (cough *j nolte* cough) believe that K&N actually helps, I believe that for Mercedes, it is.... fucking up your engine.
So... go back to paper and call it a day :)

JRE320
06-18-2003, 11:31 AM
in that case let me have the 3 bucks and ill go looking for another job

Elvir

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! just use your w202... :D ;) :)
if u gonna change your air mass just see my tread on air mass meter so u can see how easy it is. ;)

Renn 208
06-18-2003, 11:46 AM
wow, c280 Jr...you have like how many thousand posts on bnz and you've never run into a thread about MAS? Check around...there's actually alot of useful money saving info already on this board and the other.

Other things to start thinking about:

A/C compressor...do you run A/C at least weekly even in winter? If not watch out for the compressor going out ($2-3K replacement)

ATF...has this been changed every 60K miles? has it ever been changed? if not...tranny could go out and you'll be staring straight into a $5K repair bill

Rear Diff....has it been serviced regularly? Is it leaking? (shiny oil all over the rear end) mo $$$

Making sure all of these things are looked after will keep you from having to shell out the big bucks in repairs.

Rocky
06-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Elvir you clown hahaha

Goto autozone, get them to pull the code for free and report back.

List of what I think it could be:

1) If i had to guess...MAS (get rid of the K&N and use paper...I used K&N and it hapened to me)

2) Coil plug ends (NOT THE COIL) $15 bucks a piece times 3

3) O2 sensor maybe

4) Screw on your gas cap properly! hehehe

714guy
06-18-2003, 12:37 PM
should of bought my intake when yo had the chance, i am having no problemns with it and it works great. you could alwyas ebay that k&N i see it one there once and a while so it wont be a total loss. Stop being a clown on the forums and start using it to your advantage, these two forums have helped me save so much money on my car.

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 12:42 PM
i took out the filter, but i want to clean the snesor...This picture does not show it very well, but...the sensor on the right side of the engine, on the black air tube, i took that and blow dried it to take all the grease off of it...now, i want to clean the mass off of the oil but am not sure if all of the oil is supose to be removed or what
http://ourworld.cs.com/JRE320/airmass7.JPG
then im gonna drive my car and see if the light comes on again, if it does then im gonna go to the shop

Elvir

Rocky
06-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Elvir, Autozone man..FREE diagnostic to pull the check engine light code.

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 12:53 PM
what is pulling of the codes gonna do for me

Elvir

pnsji
06-18-2003, 01:02 PM
what is pulling of the codes gonna do for me

Elvir

errr use your LOGIC!

Rocky
06-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Whenever the check engine light turns on, a series of error codes are genereated for the OBD II. It basically tells you what triggered the check engine light to come on.

C280 JR
06-18-2003, 05:38 PM
ok....well this MB stealership wants to charge me $75 dolars just to see what the problem is...but i doubt that autozone would have a computer sufisticated enough to do the job...cause this BM stealership did not have it suphisticated enough the first time i went there..but they told me that they uptated their computer..
Another one that i go to charges 60 bucks but its hella far away

Elvir

CKlasse
06-18-2003, 05:56 PM
lmao.. by the time i reached the bottom of this thread, i am exhausted! :D :D

Elvir, all post 96 cars have a Trouble Codes and 16 PIN - Code Retriever Device that are standardized by the DOT. You'll also found that some pre 96 benz are compatible to the new standard. The main reason is of course so the BIG manufacturer sand their stealerships would not monopolize the 'how to' and kill the small independant stores.

Now, this 'standardized' diagnostic device is called OBD-II. You could go to anyone with OBD-II scanner to pull your trouble codes. Although, it is true that MB uses an inhouse scanner that has much more infos (gotta love the part # database!), the OBD2 scanner at your local autozone will do just fine!

Save the 75 bucks... for your body kit! :) :) ;)

Rocky
06-19-2003, 07:31 AM
CLOWN!

haha do some searches..many many people goto Autozone to get the OBD II codes pulled. It's not a MB exclusive service.

Hell I never seen an autozone let alone been in one cause there's no autoazones in canada and I know they offer free OBD II code pulling hehehe

BenzMeister
06-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
Depending on how much oil was on yourl filter you could be looking for a new one. Search the site for alternate places to purchase the mas. Installation is really simple.

But you got to be very careful oiling them. I've run them in all the family cars since 94 and haven't had trouble with them, Also, don't clean them too often, if you don't drive on dirt, once a year is sufficient or once the filter turns black. I just cleaned the K&N in my daughters car last nite and going to oil it today, let it sit for a hour or so and they take a paper towel and pat the filter gently to get any excess oil. Also you only put the oil between the seams.:) :bunny:

BenzMeister
06-27-2003, 01:55 PM
filter in the performance section, I think they are great, but you can't over oil them. I just cleaned my daughters K&N filter with had around 25K on it. wash it and reoiled and let it sit for a day and patted off any excess oil.

Rincewind
06-29-2003, 07:16 PM
ive had a drop in k&n on my 98 c230 for 7500 miles now... no probs with checkengine light / mas