PDA

View Full Version : Are H&R's too low for SF?

knvs
01-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, I just got a set of H&R sport springs for my c43 and I was wondering if i would have problems scraping over bumps or pot holes in SF. Guess this is more for the Bay Area, SF guys with H&Rs. Just wondering if i have to start to dodge bumps, pot holes, hills, etc. I'll be running #4 pads all around, and haven't decided weather to go with Bilisteins, or Konis. Would the konis be a lil softer then the Bilisteins, or is it the other way around? My previous car was a 98 GTI that I lowered about 60mm with Weitec cup kit and didn't have to worry bout scraping, but the H&Rs look lower than my old GTI. TIA

C280 JR
01-10-2005, 12:46 PM
no, they are not low, in fact they are not low enough, i was not satisficed with the ride height with my hr's.

Elvir

1SIKBNZ
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
im 1.5 down on vogtlands with #2 pads and i smash thru the city of frisco with no problems =) just some insight. I dont know the lowering height of h&r's

JRE320
01-10-2005, 01:14 PM
H&R got 2 part numbers. One is for 1.25 drop and the other is for 1.5 drop. If you're using pad number 4 then don't worry about the scraping. You can't compare Bilstein with Koni's. Coz Koni more on the racing side. You got that?

Denlasoul
01-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by C280 JR
no, they are not low, in fact they are not low enough, i was not satisficed with the ride height with my hr's.

Elvir
This statement is not credible or helpful to the question asked.

pnsji
01-10-2005, 03:46 PM
I live in SF and my previous car has H&R with pad#1 front and back:
http://home.comcast.net/~sirwan/Pictures/Chelsea.jpg

Potholes is more for your wheels. If you run bigger size wheels with less tire sidewall, then you risk bending your wheels on the potholes.

Scrapping, is something that can be avoided. You have to know your way around the city. For example, from the south you want to visit Marina of San Francisco, you don't want to go through Pacific Heights, instead take Park Presidio all the way, just before golden gate, exit lombard to Marina.

Renn 208
01-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
I live in SF and my previous car has H&R with pad#1 front and back:

Don't forget that you had 4 sacks of rice in your trunk at all times too :p

knvs
01-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by pnsji

Scrapping, is something that can be avoided. You have to know your way around the city. For example, from the south you want to visit Marina of San Francisco, you don't want to go through Pacific Heights, instead take Park Presidio all the way, just before golden gate, exit lombard to Marina.

Hills can't be avoided... I live in bernal heights;) . Its all hills... Did u scrape on normal roads tho? Like speed bumps? Also, how was the ride in yout car? Was the Bilisteins extremely stiff or were they just slightly more stiff then stock?

pnsji
01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by knvs
Did u scrape on normal roads tho?
NOPE

Like speed bumps?
NOPE if you go slow. Does not matter SF or not, if you go fast on speed bumps, then good luck.

Also, how was the ride in yout car? Was the Bilisteins extremely stiff or were they just slightly more stiff then stock?
Ride is fine. Bilstein sports is just fine. just a little stiffer than the stock

pnsji
01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
Don't forget that you had 4 sacks of rice in your trunk at all times too :p
Hehe that;s my secret hamsters to work on lowering the car abit more :D

knvs
01-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Do you guys think its worth it to get koni adjustable over bilistien. Is it worth it to spend $600 on adjustable shocks?

Denlasoul
01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Are those shocks the externally adjustable (you can adjust setting without taking out shock)? If so, I didnt know they ran so expensive.

I have the adjustable shocks that need to be uninstalled to adjust. I think they cost about half of what you are stating.

01-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Are those shocks the externally adjustable (you can adjust setting without taking out shock)? If so, I didnt know they ran so expensive.

I have the adjustable shocks that need to be uninstalled to adjust. I think they cost about half of what you are stating.

Koni now produce new Koni Sport externally adjustable (without taking out) they cost about 20% more than the still produced Koni Sport adjustable before installation.

I and KwIK have that. I've installed 1 mounth ago with H&R spring. Coming from elegance set up I found quite stiff but after a little used and starting with the more confortable Koni set-up, I have now appreciate them.

As far as lowering the height has been reduced of about 4 cm rear and few millimiter less in front.:) I don't know which pad I have.

Hi:)

alboogiee
01-18-2005, 07:37 PM
anything is too low for SF... man i lowered my infiniti g20.. (springs only) 1.5 all around on teins, bottomed out goin over the bay bridge... still tryin to work out the settlement w/ city.. you know those big azz metal things they put to cover bigger bumps?? one right after another, dropped off the first one and oil pan landed on second one.. man that was a biatch and embaressing to sit der on the bridge:eek: