PDA

View Full Version : Stock radio questiion

NSXNOS2001
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey, guys its me again, I have question on factory radios. I have a 99 C220 and I was wondering if I can put amps and subs on this radio.Thanks

solodough
01-11-2005, 05:59 PM
www.crutchfield.com

KenzBenz
01-11-2005, 06:27 PM
use a hi lo converter simple as that

vbrock1137
01-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I had my infinity basslink with my stock h/u for over a year, it worked great. It has high level inputs, so I just tapped into the rear speakers. Like KenzBenz said you and get a converter and tap into the rear speakers. The problem with subs and the stock h/u is that it adjusts the eq as you turn up the volume which can result in overpowering bass at low volumes. You can either constantly fiddle with the eq or use a remote gain control for the amp.

unHookt
01-14-2005, 03:29 PM
hey vbrock -

I just pulled a basslink out of my integra, where I thought it sounded awesome, and I'm thinking of dropping it into my 202. Bunch of questions:

1) Do you have the bose or non-bose system?

2) Did the volume of the sub adjust with the line level inputs, as it would with the RCA (potentially stupid question)

3) Where did you tap into the rear speakers - at the amp or at the speakers themselves?

4) Lots of people say that a sub in the trunk of a 202 causes a lot of rattling - how did yours sound? Was the bass overpowering?

Thanks in advance! If all good, I'd like to get this done this weekend...

btw, Crutchfield is useless for the 202. They have no info on my 99 C230 Kompressor sedan.

vbrock1137
01-14-2005, 06:04 PM
unHookt:
1)I have the non-Bose
2)Volume adjusts the same with high and low level inputs
3)I tapped into the speaker wires just before the speakers themselves. As I recall you can see the speaker wires from inside the trunk. I just used a wire stripper to seperate the outer part of the wire a foot or so from the speaker without actually cutting the wire, then wrapped the new wire around it a couple times and taped it up.
4)I've definatly had problems with the first aid hatch rattling. It rattled initially, but it got worse when I removed the kit and the inner plastic tray to try to get more airflow. Some 3M double sided tape worked well for awhile, but it eventually came unstuck. I shoved a towel in there for now, works pretty well. Rattling outside has not been an issue, you can barely hear the bass at all from outside.

Also, I mounted the sub under the rear deck on the passenger side so that it fires through the empty speaker hole (might not be an empty hole with the bose setup), I don't think it's technically the best location, but it doesn't interfere with my trunkspace much. Also, I noticed a HUGE difference with the switch flipped to 180 degrees (I almost tried to return the sub untill I figured that out).

unHookt
01-14-2005, 11:22 PM
dude, I think with the non bose you can just replace the HU for a unit with a sub output and you would be good to go. I don't think the speaker impedence is an issue with the non-bose...

unfortunately, the bose system doesn't have any open holes in the rear deck. hmmm...do you think this is an absolute necessity?

also, did you mean that it sounded better when you switched the subwoofer phase to 180, or worse?

thanks man

vbrock1137
01-15-2005, 08:19 AM
With the non-bose you can definatly just replace the head unit and use low-level inputs, I just did it a few weeks ago, pretty easy.

As far as the holes in the rear deck, they definately help alot but aren't absolutely necessary. I had a third speaker back there on the drivers side that didn't do anything, I was told it was part of the factory car phone option. After removing it I definately noticed a difference. You'll be able to hear the sub without the holes, just not as loud. I'd say it'd still be worth doing though.

Sorry I wasn't clear, it sounded better with the phase on 180.