PDA

View Full Version : Help! Won't start

stox
01-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Grrrr! Why do these things always happen on Sundays or Holidays? Anyway, I tried to start my '96 C36 this morning and was greeted with nothing. The symptoms are as follows:

1) Turning the key to on results in the normal lighting of all the instrument lights, but they then do not go off after a few seconds like they are supposed to.

2) Turning the key to start does nothing.

The car was running fine yesterday with no indications of any trouble. The temperature did dip below zero last night. Is my ECU toast? I have checked the battery, and it seems fine, ie. proper voltage and the headlights come on strong. The car is completely stock. Any ideas?

Renn 208
01-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Just to get the doh! factor out of our equation: I don't suppose you happened to leave the car in gear when you shut down last?

stox
01-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Nope, the car is in park. Thanks for the suggestion, though, Sunday mornings tend to have more D'oh moments than other times. I suspect that something is failing to initialize correctly. All the instrument panel lights stay on. They do not turn off after a few seconds like they are supposed to.

smartkey
01-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Stox the problem may be the ignition switch they tend to fail with out warning.

When the ignition switch fails the symptoms are usually the dash lights will come on but the starter will not kick in when you turn the switch to the start position.

If this is the case you will have to get it to a dealer or an independent mechanic that has changed and ignition switch before.

I hope this is not the problem.

Good luck.

stox
01-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the replies! The car now starts. No clue as to what the problem was/is. I guess I will just have to wait to see if it reappears.

jnenad16
01-16-2005, 03:37 PM
yeah, sounds like the ignition switch is failing, but I'm also thinking the neutral safety switch as well. next time this happens, try to move the shifter from park to drive, then from drive to neutral, than from neutral back to drive, then from drive back to park. you can also try starting it in the neutral position. and if the car starts, then the neutral safety switch is failing as well.

nenad

Rocky
01-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Don't you have to press the brake pedal down to start the car?

smartkey
01-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Rocky, your foot does not have to be on the brake, I do know my 98 will not start if the E-Brake is not engaged though.

FreeStyler
01-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by smartkey
I do know my 98 will not start if the E-Brake is not engaged though.

thats weird...

stox
01-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Golly Gee! Guess what happened again this morning? Sub-zero again. However, this time, I was able to play with it some more and have come to the conclusion that, in fact, the neutral safety switch is the culprit. Ice must be condensing on the switch. I went through the suggested process of shiting through the gears, and after two laps, the car started fine.

Again, my humble thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, you do not need to depress the brake to start the car, you do need to depress the brake to shift out of park, though.