PDA

View Full Version : can i adjust shocks without getting out of the car?

vladk
01-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Right now i am r&d'ing an airspring for my car. So "hopefully" by summer i can adjust my ride height from 3'' to about 6'' without getting out of my car (digital height sensors on all four corners). Now i need to find shocks that can adjust from my cockpit. So, lets say i am traveling 35mph on the local ave. riding about 6'' off the ground then i decide to go to canada, i jump on I-5 push a button and my car slowly adjusts to about 3'' ride height, i will need to stiffen up my shocks at the same time.
Ive seen shocks that have internal dc motors that adjust rebound/stiffnes with the push of a button, which company does it? i dont know... maybe there is more then one company.
I need all the input i can get as this might change what we can all do for our w202's. Also, if someone knows who makes a shock that adjusts digitally and doesnt make them for w202, let me know as it might be easy to implement that in to our suspensions.

Thanks to all

Denlasoul
01-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Rancho makes an adjustable shock system for SUV's. Maybe there is a way to make them work with a 202.

SLAMMED_C
01-16-2005, 07:28 PM
I know Tein makes a sick ass electronically adjustable suspension.
Tein (http://www.tein.com/edfc.html)

98c43amg
01-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
I know Tein makes a sick ass electronically adjustable suspension.
Tein (http://www.tein.com/edfc.html)
coil-over only I believe :(

vladk
01-18-2005, 11:20 AM
From what i researched i didnt find much that would fit w202. What i am thinking about is taking an adjustable shock made by (i think Kony), and installing a stepper/servo/actuator that would have at least 5 positions, mounting the servo to the adjustable valve.
So, if anyone knows other companies that makes adjustable shocks for w202 please let me know.

Renn 208
01-18-2005, 01:06 PM
this project seems to be growing in ambition as time passes. However, getting back to basic needs, what is the purpose of this system?

As I understand it, you need a large range of adjustability in ride height (3"-6"). Why? I'm aware of those who have airbags so that they can drop their cars for car shows, hit switches, etc. That does not seem like your reason, but I'm not quite clear as to why you need such a large adjustable range

Given the need for a large height adjustment range, why the need for differing compression and rebound rates? Are you looking to improve road holding under greater compression loads? Often progressive rate springs take care of that already.

In the end, it's possible that you may just be trying to make the car too many things at once... SUV height soft cruiser with one button and race car carver with another button. The goals may inherently conflict.

But getting back to the original problem statement, I've only seen a few applications of digitally adjustable shock valving:

1. was for a humvee to travel over large obstacles

2. in racing applications (F1, and WRC) where the shocks dynamically adjust for a corner, grip levels, etc. (which I don't think is worth the effort on a road car.

If you really want to pursue the topic Steve Millen, and the Subaru WRC team have some experience in electronically controlled dynamic damping, but I'm thinking that it might be outside of your scope.

Anyway, just my random thoughts, take them with a grain of salt. After all, if you do make it work, and it trumps other suspension setups...you'll be onto something.

vladk
01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Renn, i think youre right.
I want to add, i love the look of a lowered car but i also want the cornering performance to go with it. The reason why i want a good height range is i dont want to bottom out on rough streets or speedbumps. Besides, a bolt on kit (if they made one) wouldnt be as fun for me to install. I am sure its not going to be a weekend or even a one month project, i just like the adventure of making it work. Ofcourse there are shops that can manufacture a bag kit, but theyre used to doing it for people that just want to slam their rides on the pavement so it looks great for the show. What i want to do is make a one of a kind setup where my functionality is equal or maybe outperforms what comes on rangerovers/s500's out of the factory. Automakers spend millions on researching and i am trying to do this on a much smaller budget with the help of a couple friends/engineers and ofcourse this site.

Renn 208
01-18-2005, 08:09 PM
well then good luck with the project, it's a serious undertaking, and mad props will come for getting it done.