PDA

View Full Version : 99 unit in 96 n i hate the antenna

c280steve
01-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey guys i searched n didnt find much im open to all opinons n what not
I have a like new mercedes head unit like those in newest models ( all the number buttons are in the right, with flip down screen hides tape deck) The car came like that when i bought it.
I can barely hear the speakers in the front and theres no fader in the menu, theres balance n treb n bass but no fader?! Also i pluged in a regular cd changer (not fiber optic in the trunk), with the exsiting plug, n nothing happens, it doenst recognize it. That being said should i run a fiber optic cable to the trunk. Also how do i fix the fader problem. I half think that the old unit ran an amp to the front speakers n the new one doesnt, but the amp in the trunk powers the rears? am i wrong i dont kno?

One more thing, the antenaa sucks, is it worth it to run a roof antenna, I kno the 98s dont have ne visble antenna i think there built in to the window?

Any responces are cool i dont care. Thanks

Steve

Kswiss
01-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I also get bad reception and i also have a "hidden" antenna. From what i was told on this forum, the antenna isn't in the window (which i thought also) but its in the rear bumper....

I upgraded my headunit to a flip out monitor type unit. Is it possible to hook the stock antenna to the headunit or will we have to buy new antennas?

I used to have the same headunit you have...the flip out tape deck one.....i have a alpine cd player i had hooked up to it that worked fine. If you are interested in buying this cd player let meknow..its a 6 cd changer...

c280steve
01-23-2005, 11:01 AM
my mercedes 6 disc changer works cause i tryed it in my moms e class.... i just wanna get my unit to work right some how, n i wonder if i should get a bumper antenna im not really worried about reception i just hate the long one that sticks out.

c280steve
01-23-2005, 12:34 PM

Denlasoul
01-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Your 99 headunit is a fiber optic output and your changer is a non-fiber one. They are not compatible. I am guessing your mom's car is a 98+?

There should be a fader control, even my old 94 had one. Do you have a manual for the headunit?

c280steve
01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
i gotta just get the head unit out but i dont have any keys, ill see if mercedes has keys or can pop it out, then see what i can do with it