View Full Version : The dangers of bad spring compressors.

mayagman
01-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, I just figgured I'd do a heads-up post on a job that lots of people try to do here on club202, myself included. A spring job seems easy enough, but if not performed correctly, with the right tools, it can be catastrophic. I just tried the job with a set of o'reilleys spring compressors at the weekend and found it absolutely impossible, upon investigating further, I see that I need a $700+ tool to get them off! If youre going to try this yourself, either have the right tool, or use the jack-stand method described here on Club202. Use your friend the 'search' button.

Heres a fun pic to show my point. Note the curvature of those hardened steel shafts. If the pressure will do that to steel, imagine what it'll do to your face!

P.S. Does anyone have a klann unit I can borrow? :P

http://misc.articles.mbz.org/compressor/spring_compressor1.jpg

Denlasoul
01-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Much different than the single tightener. Looks like because you have to alternate which side to tighten, the pressure is too much and the bolt bends.

The Klann and the other OEM-like compressors only have one bolt to compress the spring. It is central and the pressure of the spring is distributed over a larger surface area.

At least you didnt hurt yourself or your car. :)

misterblack
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
hey.....that's what I used to lower my car.
I even made them myself. :)

mayagman
01-24-2005, 04:04 PM
lol, just to clarify, thats NOT my car, I gave up when I realized how sketchy the whole thing is. I just pleaded with the stealership to lend me theirs or tell me who has one :P maybe ill even get a response some day

CKlasse
01-24-2005, 04:58 PM
You could've just compressed it with those and tie the springs down with mechanic wire. Take off the compressors and simply cut the wire after you place the springs in place. That's how most people do springs on most cars.

r2d2
01-25-2005, 04:45 AM
Please Please do not tie your springs up with anything. You are likely to end up in hospital or dead. Use proper spring compressors as discussed. I have fitted Sachs Super Touring suspension to my car at home but the springs were compressed by someone who knew what they were doing using the right tools. The energy in a compressed spring, that otherwise holds up 1400kg car, is massive.

Rocky
01-25-2005, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by r2d2
Please Please do not tie your springs up with anything. You are likely to end up in hospital or dead. Use proper spring compressors as discussed. I have fitted Sachs Super Touring suspension to my car at home but the springs were compressed by someone who knew what they were doing using the right tools. The energy in a compressed spring, that otherwise holds up 1400kg car, is massive.

:werd:

Don't become a nominee for the darwin award. I use to work in a shop and of the nocvice mechs use the wall mounted compressor for shock stru type suspension and shot the spring right up into the roof. Lucky his hands or head was not near the top of the compressor.

r2d2
01-25-2005, 05:27 AM
and had his head been in the line of fire?? BTW whats thedarwin award?

CKlasse
01-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Mainly, use common sense! Tying down springs w/ mech wires are extremely common on some of the top suspension shops. Make sure you use plenty of wires, usually most tech would simply torch them off once the springs are in.

I am not sugesting anyone to do this. I simply showing another way to do it without the internal type compressor (MB, BMW, Audi). Keep in mind, when you put your lowering springs, they are lowered already. It doesn't take much compression to fit them in.

... but again, if you haven't done enough suspension, you should simply leave it to the PRO. :)

stox
01-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by r2d2
BTW whats thedarwin award?

The Darwin award is granted to those who have done humanity the great favor of leaving the gene pool.

r2d2
01-25-2005, 06:01 AM
...........friendly place this isn't it............

mayagman
01-25-2005, 06:14 AM
mecha wire, eh. We'll see about that. I think I'll just go quote the local shops.

martattack
01-25-2005, 09:36 AM
I found the easiest way to do it was the Floor-Jack method where you put the car on stands and slowly let the jack down as the spring decompresses. I have installed numerous lowering springs on many different cars, and honestly, I felt safest using this method on my car (as opposed to spring compressors on other cars).

If you have any questions, let me know

Martin

allirroz
01-25-2005, 09:59 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4521691642&category=35625

Rocky
01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
You wouldn't let Dr. Nick Riviera preform heart surgery on you would you?

Hehehe

Compressing springs are more dangerous as most people would think it is.

1SIKBNZ
01-25-2005, 11:11 AM
ok, well from my xperience i used the same exact unit pictured (mine was a lil thicker) and they were also used to remove the sprrngs on my friends f350 v10 dulley. with zero problems.... this clamp used with an impact gun and wham bam thank you mam'.... *shrug. there was no bending/warping/problems.

1SIKBNZ
01-25-2005, 11:13 AM
o just loked at the pic again..it shows only one bolt per clamp. the ones i usedc had 2 bolts per clap and the clamp was wider with 2 rungs on it to fit the spring. so maybe that was the diff.

jnenad16
01-25-2005, 11:37 AM
what happened to old skool spring changing, when you would have jack up the lower arm, unhook the upper arm and the shock,remove the caliper, then slowly release the jack and remove the spring. it takes about 30min per side for novice mech, and about 15-20min for pros. and its much, much safer, too.

nenad

mayagman
01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
The only reason I would avoid the jack 'n drop method is because it involves dismantling a lot of suspension components. I'm not comfortable with my skills enough to rip apart my running gear and put it all back together correctly. I dont even really know the names of the components down there, I just know how they work and why they're there

Anyone have any photos of this procedure?

jnenad16
01-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by mayagman
The only reason I would avoid the jack 'n drop method is because it involves dismantling a lot of suspension components. I'm not comfortable with my skills enough to rip apart my running gear and put it all back together correctly. I dont even really know the names of the components down there, I just know how they work and why they're there

Anyone have any photos of this procedure?

like I said in my previous post, its not that hard at all. all you need to do is disconnect a few parts, and pull down on the lower arm, and the spring will be loose and ready to take out. dont worry it wont spring out and hurt you or your car. if you are not sure you can do it, just ask one of your friends to help you out, I'm sure one of them knows how to do it.

nenad

RacerXofFL
01-28-2005, 05:17 AM
You should NEVER use an impact with the MB compressor, the correct way is to use some form of breaker bar with continous movement...