PDA

View Full Version : CF "B" pillar

mis-u-jerr
06-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Damn, I was with everyone tonight and forgot to ask about this. (Had a GREAT time at the gtg btw :D )
I saw CF B pillars on E-bay. (Thanks to 99SlvrC43 over at MBWorld for the heads up) I think these are the same ones Marcus has on his car. Since they are stick on, they do stick out a bit, but not overly noticeable. I hate looking at that fake ass faux CF and have wanted to do some, what do y'all think about these? Any info or feedback?

Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2419401919)

Pic
http://jc-motorconcept.com/msispeed/mercedespillars.jpg

Renn 208
06-18-2003, 10:38 PM
homeboy...rip off the pillars you have and get them fabbed into real CF...if yer gonna go, go all the way!

dwang
06-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
homeboy...rip off the pillars you have and get them fabbed into real CF...if yer gonna go, go all the way!

:werd: :werd: I would be so interested in a set when and if they are fabbed into real CF!! Let's do a group buy!!!

Dave

SLK Boy
06-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Hey Dave, i'll overlay yours in cf tape! :)

Vollstrom has CF replacements, but they are MAD loot...maybe Kuhl's hookup can help us out...

dwang
06-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by SLK Boy
Hey Dave, i'll overlay yours in cf tape! :)

Vollstrom has CF replacements, but they are MAD loot...maybe Kuhl's hookup can help us out...

If you overlay, will it look bulky? I just don't want that bulky look.

I would think that we could drive down the cost if we could get a group buy together. I would be only one that notices anyway...

My wife didn't even notice the color coded door handles that I swapped onto the car... *sigh*

Why even bother anymore... She'll say something like this, "Xenons, what are xenons, they look exactly like our old lights."

Dave

SLK Boy
06-19-2003, 11:14 AM
No, she'll notice the xenon's...esp when it fire's up...did you install the bi-level's on the ML yet? Cause after she sees them on that car, she'll want them on the C! :)

But yeah, the handles are pretty subtle...

CKlasse
06-19-2003, 01:23 PM
http://members.aol.com/denvervw/Img_1601.jpg

It looks much better in person. It surely beats the 'CF patterned Plastic' on the sport models.

mis-u-jerr
06-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
It surely beats the 'CF patterned Plastic' on the sport models.
Zzzzzzactly...thanks for the pic!

Dwang, it is real CF with the epoxy laminate that sticks on top of the existing pillar.

Yeah, I agree... That is what I originally planned to do and is certainly preferable. But then I saw these and though hmm...
I could skin my own pillars but... know anybody with an autoclave? Need one to do it properly...

Slk boy wrote:

Vollstrom has CF replacements, but they are MAD loot
Just wondering HOW mad?

I just checked their site Vollstrom (http://www.vollstrom.co.jp/english/engindex.htm)

$304US, and the weave didn't even look that good.

Hmm, just pulled one off the car, it’s very thin plastic, I’m not sure skinning it would work. It would probably be better to fab a new one, like Renn said. (Renn saying no duh now...) I'm sure that the Feather Carbon guy could do it too...

Thanks again!

nokia8860
06-19-2003, 02:35 PM
naw you wouldnt need an autoclave for something like this. you could get away with one sheet of carbonfiber and pour on the expoxy. as long as its in a dust free enviroment to cure yould be all set with your own cf b pillar trim.

visit your local tapsplastic they sell cf sheets there and the required expoxy for you to mess around with.

Renn 208
06-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
naw you wouldnt need an autoclave for something like this. you could get away with one sheet of carbonfiber and pour on the expoxy. as long as its in a dust free enviroment to cure yould be all set with your own cf b pillar trim.

visit your local tapsplastic they sell cf sheets there and the required expoxy for you to mess around with.

Just don't light the CF fabric and smoke it, or you'll end up like East coast paul!

SLK Boy
06-19-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860

Is this like Fry's? Something we don't have in the east coast? :)

nokia8860
06-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Taps is a plastic store chain we have here. They sell... plastic. I used to go to them in the early 90s when ppl would want me to build sub box with acrylic for that plastic effect or whatever.

They were just down the street from me and I could order 1" thick of that stuff to make sure it wouldnt resonate.

They were also the place i would go for fiber glass help. And they have black fiberglass which looks like carbon fiber when resin is applied so heheheh cheap carbon fiber still which looks real.

But they also carry carbon fiber by the spool so thats cool too. Ive been talking to paul about this and will try my hand in laminating stuff soon.

So if you have any plastic places in your area try them out.

Taps Website (http://www.tapplastics.com)

CKlasse
06-19-2003, 04:06 PM
You don't have to go through that much hassle for this. I was amazed at the quality of this CF Pillars when I got it. It's platic laminated carbon fiber. Nothing fakey here. :)

Renn 208
06-19-2003, 04:10 PM
You don't have to go through that much hassle for this. I was amazed at the quality of this CF Pillars when I got it. It's platic laminated carbon fiber. Nothing fakey here. :)

unless you consider CF laminates fake;)

nokia8860
06-19-2003, 04:18 PM
unless you consider CF laminates fake;)

Someone just needs to bust out with Brass!

speedybenz
06-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Thats the stuff my wife bought for me. And it looks pretty damn good once it's on the car. I was worried about it sticking out. But again once it is on the car you do not notice that and it looks really good.

It appears to be CF epoxied with a flexible epoxy. It is very 3-D in appearance.

One caution. The adhesive is some really sticky stuff and once the piece touches the piller you can't pull it off. So really be carefull and line it up perfectly or you will be screwed.

Jeff

CKlasse
06-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Thats the stuff my wife bought for me. And it looks pretty damn good once it's on the car. I was worried about it sticking out. But again once it is on the car you do not notice that and it looks really good.

It appears to be CF epoxied with a flexible epoxy. It is very 3-D in appearance.

EXACTLY :p :p :p :p :p :p

nokia8860
06-19-2003, 07:40 PM
EXACTLY

Hey dont look at me. I said Brass. :)

mis-u-jerr
06-19-2003, 09:06 PM
One caution. The adhesive is some really sticky stuff and once the piece touches the piller you can't pull it off. So really be carefull and line it up perfectly or you will be screwed.
Jeff
Thanks (again) Jeff,
I thought it might have been this one that was on your car.
Any tips on how to get it on there without F'ing it up? Like spray water on first so it is not as sticky, etc?

speedybenz
06-19-2003, 09:27 PM
No real tips. Just line it up real well. You can take a very sharp razor blade and cut it a little bit if your off on the placement.

Just be very CAREFULL

Jeff

mis-u-jerr
06-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Just be very CAREFULL
Jeff
That's me, detail oriented...:p
Think maybe I will take off the pillars before I go for the big stick, can get a better angle that way...
Thanks, Greg.