PDA

View Full Version : Debadge

macaroni
01-29-2005, 10:05 AM
How does one go about de-badging? Tools? solvents? etc?

Renn 208
01-29-2005, 10:14 AM
real simple...get some dental floss to get behind the badges...then use goo-gone and an old cotton t-shirt with very light pressure to get the residue. Then wash and wax to protect.

djdoughboy
01-29-2005, 01:41 PM
macaroni... come over to my house and we will do it together... i have a special rubbing compound that we can put on after we de-badge it just to make sure that there in so discoloration after the badge has been removed... you know like how you can some times see the out line of the badge after it has been removed? hit me up on aim...

714guy
01-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Floss it like it hott. then goo gone , then clay and was it.

Superpnoy
01-29-2005, 02:25 PM
to make it a little easier, get a hair blow dryer and pass it over the badge so the rubber adhesive is soft enough for you to pass the dental floss through, than use goo gone to remove the left over adhesive

albanianbenz
01-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by djdoughboy
macaroni... come over to my house and we will do it together... i have a special rubbing compound that we can put on after we de-badge it just to make sure that there in so discoloration after the badge has been removed... you know like how you can some times see the out line of the badge after it has been removed? hit me up on aim...

What is this special rubbing compaound and where can I get it

djdoughboy
01-29-2005, 04:36 PM
you can buy it at an auto parts store... its called rubbing compound or polishing compound... its made for use with a buffer... the one i have is made by meguiars

Renn 208
01-29-2005, 09:47 PM
just be careful with rubbing compound, it'll take down your clear coat, so use it lightly...if you even have to in the first place. Clay, as 714 mentioned would be gentler.

When I did it to the 210, I used a hair dryer (not a heat gun), goo gone, and didn't need any clay or rubbing compound.

djdoughboy
01-30-2005, 09:57 AM
koo koo... mine is actually polishing compound... not as harsh as rubbing compound... but youre right... rubbing compound will take the clear coat off...

JDoggery
02-04-2005, 03:45 PM
where do you buy goo gone?

ja2k
02-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by JDoggery

Groccery Stores ususally have it.

Superpnoy
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JDoggery

Home Depot

BLKc230
02-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I just de-badged my c230, with floss and goo gone. The goo-gone sucks. I had to put it on over five times, it took me an hour to get all the residue off, i thought it would have worked better then that. Dont waste your money on the goo-gone, im sure there are better compounds out there.

Superpnoy
02-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by BLKc230
I just de-badged my c230, with floss and goo gone. The goo-gone sucks. I had to put it on over five times, it took me an hour to get all the residue off, i thought it would have worked better then that. Dont waste your money on the goo-gone, im sure there are better compounds out there.

if you notice goo gone is not that expensive so practically the saying goes...you get what you pay for

Renn 208
02-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BLKc230

Strange, my experience was the complete opposite...

Did you happen to use a hair dryer to loosen up the adhesive first?

Another option, would be to try lighter fluid...(careful with the hair dryer though!)

JDoggery
02-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I ended up using 3M Adhesive Cleaner. Says it's ok for automotive paint. Got it at Napa.

htfan1
05-19-2005, 11:39 AM
I went the...

1) heat
2) floss
3) goo gone & T shirt
4) polish

route!

Worked like a charm! Looks clean! This is a great post!

Thanks!!

djdoughboy
05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
when i did macaroni's we used goo gone and a blow drier... took about an hour... but the goo gone does work... i also used another solution i have called "oops" that is supposed to remove weird stuff like that... and i was more impressed with the "oops" stuff then the goo gone...

Sean

audiophile
06-12-2005, 10:15 PM
i also used another solution i have called "oops" that is supposed to remove weird stuff like that... and i was more impressed with the "oops" stuff then the goo gone...
i have some of that stuff, but mine is called "ahh shit".:)