PDA

View Full Version : Headliner Removal

smartkey
01-30-2005, 09:48 AM
The healiner on my '98 C280 is falling down both the interior and the sunroof headliner. I check on the prices for replacing both of them and the pricing is 1000.00 dollars not including shipping to me.

So whether I recover them or replace them I need to remove the old one I already know how to remove the moonroof headliner.

The two area I am having questions with are the removal for the rear view mirror and the C pillar panels I want to remove these parts with out damaging them.

albanianbenz
01-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Here is some instructions hopefully it will help u. This is for complete headliner removal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/habib19/headliner.gif

smartkey
01-31-2005, 04:43 AM
I appreciate the attempt but I was looking for some instructions that were a little more specific.

Like how do I remove the rearview mirror without damaging it?

How do I remove the C pillars without breaking any clips.

I basically have all the other items stripped off the headliner already I just don't want to proceed in haste and break something. Plastics in Mercedes tend to get pretty brittle and my car is black which is the reason the headliner is falling down now, the extreme heat for most of the day and then the condesation at night

Do I pull unit it pops off or do I lift and pull in a certain direction?

Mechanical parts are cheap compared to trim parts if you get my meaning.

I have had plenty of fun with my 202 and I want to sell it without having to invest any large amount of cash into it before I let it go.

I don't know whether I will sell it outright or do a trade in but I don't want it looking raggedy because I try to keep it looking as good as I can.

smartkey
01-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Update I got all the pillar trim panel off

I am still striking out with the rear view mirror.

martattack
01-31-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the rear view mirror just pops out by yanking on it. That's how it is done on my 202.. It is usually like that for safety purposes (i.e. you don't break your head if you hit the mirror in an accident)

smartkey
02-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I think you are right I saw a big spring on top, and I saw My mechanic change one in my brother's W201 190 2.6 and it had the same spring thingy. So I will be gentle and pry slowly with a screwdriver.

SLAMMED_C
02-04-2005, 10:03 PM
just give the mirror a pull down and kinda pull it with more force on one side.
be careful.. but it does just pull down.

dono
07-31-2005, 03:57 AM
My headliner is also beginning to come down, starting at the rear dome light. can this be repaired, or do I have to replace it?
I tried applying 3M super adhesive just around the inside of the rear dome light cut-out, but there was no adhesion. any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

dono.

crsh2
08-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by dono
My headliner is also beginning to come down, starting at the rear dome light. can this be repaired, or do I have to replace it?
I tried applying 3M super adhesive just around the inside of the rear dome light cut-out, but there was no adhesion. any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

dono.

I just did this
heres the tread
http://club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7347

I think this job would have been alot easier if there is 2 more people helping you. if its not available, i suggest you buy a really very thin foam for headliners.
1) 3 cans of 3M Super Trim adhesive 08090
2)stick the fabric or whatever stuff you want on top of the foam
(put enough glue to make sure it sticks well.
3) spray glue on the headliner and the foam and stick it together
this would eliminate the crease that i had with mine.

feel free to email me i'll help out as much as i could.
goodluck

dono
08-02-2005, 05:57 PM
what type of foam?

crsh2
08-02-2005, 07:36 PM
what type of foam?

Try to search google for headliner foam or padding a really thin one.
i'll try and search for you and post tommorow okay.
if you are prepared to do this work its trial an error
and you will have a hard time taking the headliner out the car.
i had to manuver the seat slightly bend the headliner in half to get it out. dont worry the headliner is pretty stiff.
i've bent it 4 times and it was still intact

i'll post tommorow

dono
08-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Hello<

I appreciate all of you help. However, I am a little confused; it sounds like what you are explaining to me is to remove the headliner (with it's rigid backing) out of the car and then peel off the grey liner itself and re-apply it over new foam onto the rigid backing, is this correct?

crsh2
08-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Hello<

I appreciate all of you help. However, I am a little confused; it sounds like what you are explaining to me is to remove the headliner (with it's rigid backing) out of the car and then peel off the grey liner itself and re-apply it over new foam onto the rigid backing, is this correct?

email me so we dont tie up the board
crsh2@excite.com