PDA

View Full Version : custom subs in rear deck 8 or 10 inch?

alphanumeric
01-31-2005, 07:49 AM
hey all.. well I am deciding on subs now that I got pretty much everything else installed.. right now I have a 10inch bazooka that I have had in 3 difference cars iv owned in the past 5 years :D but it does not have the original 10inch sub in it anymore..it was prelaced with a polk audio? I dont like hard core bass.. err.. I do! but not the kind where you go driving around showing off .. just something you can hear in the car!!

anyways I find the tube always in the way in the trunk.. and a box can get pretty expensive.. so I am thinking of installing two 8inch subs in the rear rack.. what size are in there now? 6.5 or 5.25? this is on a 00 230k NON BOSE!! it has no stock AMP.. anyways their is lots of room in that area for a 6x9 possibly..but I am wondering if any of you guys seen this before (installing 8 or 10inch subs..

powering it with an alpine 5ch amp.. ratings are 50watts x4 and 200watts x1 @ 14.4 volts.. and my car running puts out like 13.8volts... any ideas? thx

oh ya sorry if I sound a bit confusing I just woke up and trying to type this as fast as I can..:bored:

martattack
01-31-2005, 10:20 AM
It's possible, but will require some cutting. Also, you will either need to build a box underneat the subwoofers, or buy "Free-Air" subwoofers that don't need any type of cabinet.

Building a box doesn't have to be expensive if you do it yourself.

Here's what I did in my garage with a circular saw, jigsaw, drills and a belt sander. It sure did take a while, but sure beats the $1500+ in labor that a shop said it would cost for them to do it.

http://blauschwarz.home.comcast.net/subs.jpg
http://blauschwarz.home.comcast.net/crossovers.jpg

Martin

alphanumeric
01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
I cant see the pix..not loading...

I would prolly go with teh free air subs... do you know who makes some that are good? I always wanted to get some JL audio subs.. I took a closer look at my rear deck and I think only 8's would fit.. im not trying to go all hard core with subs.. just something that I can hear strong inside the car..

also.. holy crap the rear door speakers are small in my car.. they are only 4inch!! haha.. I might as well not even use them! I wanted to put 6x9 in my rear deck.. but I would love to not have a box in my trunk..

hmmmmmmmmm

martattack
01-31-2005, 06:23 PM
You clicked the links and the pics aren't loading??

Anyway.. I'm not too familiar with free-air subs because i've never used them or known anyone with them.

I have 5.25" speakers in my rear doors... It shouldn't be a problem to fit them in there. I think some people have even done 6.5". I think there may be a plastic ring that needs to be either modified or removed to fit the larger speakers

pnsji
02-01-2005, 10:19 AM
free air subwoofer will not perform as good as sealed-box subwoofer. But if you are concern about the space and would really like free-air sub, then go for it.

As you might already know, free air sub is using the whole trunk as the enclosure. The enclosure will function as the suspension for the subwoofer. This means you have to completely seal the room between cabin and trunk. You would need to put a piece of 3/4" MDF and seal the deck. Once you did this, then you can install the subwoofer on the MDF.
To further help the sound, sound dampenning is needed for the whole trunk liner to further seal the trunk.

As far as which sub is good, what kind of music you listen to? you like sound quality or sound preasure level?

sleek_benzo
02-01-2005, 11:59 AM
IB.. i was considering something similar..

image dynamics make some great IB woofer.. i would stay away from JL for free air.. i haven't heard any that i like so far.. maybe its just me..

i say (2) id8 would be cool..

rear door.. ehh... i say the hell with it.. get a good set of component and you'll be happy..