PDA

View Full Version : Rear ball joint replacement...

Pagz
02-02-2005, 10:04 AM
while doin the usual suspension upgrade I noticed the rear bottom suspension joint was really not in great condition....
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_31.jpg
So has anyone replaced this part?,if so please dont tell me you need a special tool!!!!:D
any help on the most practical way to replace it would be much appreciated....

Regards,
Paul

pnsji
02-02-2005, 10:39 AM
You need a ball joint puller to do this.

manny
02-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
You need a ball joint puller to do this.

I don't think this is called a balljoint.
Looks like a controlarm bushing to me.

Pagz
02-02-2005, 02:45 PM
hey,
yeh its a type of ball joint,it just has a pin right through the middle of the ball....
Iv just been told i can purchase another from MB but i need to remove the casting and have it pressed out...
i really didnt want to remove all the rear componts and drive shafts just to replace this but its looking that way...
thanks guys

Regards,
Paul

benzfan
02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
This is one of those jobs that is best left to the dealer. They can do it on the car in far less time than you think.

martattack
02-02-2005, 04:14 PM
pretty sure you need a press or small puller of some sort.. You might be able to rent one that fits taht size at an auto parts store, but I make no guarantees. I did my bushings on my old car and made my own puller with some long bolts and milled steel pipe.. It worked great, but takes some fabrication.

Pagz
02-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by benzfan
This is one of those jobs that is best left to the dealer. They can do it on the car in far less time than you think.

damn:D.....was worried someone might say that!,MB charges $100 and hour here,and it will take them at least 3 hours even if it takes 15 mins!!!... i might just give it a go first....a few washers,a piece of pipe,two nuts and a threaded rod should pull it out...lol sounds a little dodgy but it should work....
thanks

Regards,
Paul

Pagz
02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
pretty sure you need a press or small puller of some sort.. You might be able to rent one that fits taht size at an auto parts store, but I make no guarantees. I did my bushings on my old car and made my own puller with some long bolts and milled steel pipe.. It worked great, but takes some fabrication.

hey thanks man im on a mission to save money an this sounds like the best way to go...

Regards,
Paul

benzfan
02-02-2005, 05:26 PM
You're on the right track with the right type of rig. It just isn't possible with anything else, as drawing the new joint in is impossible without the pipe rig. It isn't an easy task, which is why I suggested the dealer. I'm always amazed at the comments I see on discussion boards about the dealers in the States. The ones I have dealt with up here (with the exception of one in North Vancouver years ago who didn't even want to work on my car at all, which prompted me to take it apart and find the problem in less than 20min) have been superb, occasionally not charging me at all for unsuccessful work and being very fast with jobs like these bushings. Best of luck, and let us know how you make out. Thanks

Pagz
02-02-2005, 05:36 PM
You're on the right track with the right type of rig. It just isn't possible with anything else, as drawing the new joint in is impossible without the pipe rig. It isn't an easy task, which is why I suggested the dealer. I'm always amazed at the comments I see on discussion boards about the dealers in the States. The ones I have dealt with up here (with the exception of one in North Vancouver years ago who didn't even want to work on my car at all, which prompted me to take it apart and find the problem in less than 20min) have been superb, occasionally not charging me at all for unsuccessful work and being very fast with jobs like these bushings. Best of luck, and let us know how you make out. Thanks

Hey thanks benzfan,
il give it a shot,if it goes bad il head for the dealers man...
problem is last time i took it to the dealers for a sqeek in the engine bay they tried to charge me $550 to replace the tensioner and belts....so i went and saw an old MB mechanic and he said it was all fine,and it turns out the sqeek was from my thrust bearing....lol

Regards,
Paul

benzfan
02-02-2005, 05:52 PM
The more you work on your own car, the more you'll learn about it and be confident about doing. The problem is that you never seem to finish buying tools. I have about $25,000 in tools including my air tools and welders, and it seems that every time I do a job, I need to go buy another tool. No problem with me, but my wife...:mad:

Pagz
02-02-2005, 06:19 PM
The more you work on your own car, the more you'll learn about it and be confident about doing. The problem is that you never seem to finish buying tools. I have about $25,000 in tools including my air tools and welders, and it seems that every time I do a job, I need to go buy another tool. No problem with me, but my wife...:mad:

Hahahah.....I know EXACTLY where you coming from!!!
I was giving mine a hard time about buying $60 shampoo...
then she turned and bloo me away with the"well i didnt just spend 12K on parts for the car!!"..........Dang:rolleyes: ..

Regards,
Paul

jnenad16
02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
you will need a appropriate size cylinder and a C clamp to drive it out, reverse prosedure to install. thats how I did mine.

nenad

Pagz
02-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
you will need a appropriate size cylinder and a C clamp to drive it out, reverse prosedure to install. thats how I did mine.

nenad

hey jnenad16,
did they slide out easy??,im goin to attempt this tonight,using a very similar method..

Regards,
Paul

jnenad16
02-03-2005, 10:29 AM
yes they came out quite easily, but you will need the right tools for the job.

nenad

Pagz
02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
thanks man...
yeh iv got c-clamps and various tube lying around everywhere so ill try it out...

Regards,
Paul