PDA

View Full Version : worth buying?

macaroni
02-03-2005, 08:39 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=7951570018&rd=1

Is it worth buying at that price? Will it help me at all? Anybody with the same or similar systems got a review?

mayagman
02-03-2005, 08:50 AM
I'd be a bit weary. My friend threw one of these on his Sentra, not this one particularly, but one of those 'ebay specials' you see everywhere. It looked nice at first and even livend up the throttle response, but shortly after the metal mesh around the cotton filter element started to rust, and it looked like ass. Make sure its a stainless filter!

vbrock1137
02-03-2005, 09:20 AM
It's drawing hot air though, how could that improve performance? Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

jnenad16
02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
no, its not worth it.

nenad

mayagman
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Thats a good point, I didnt see the image on my text-only browser :P
The nice little tube that jutts up to your grille has an optimal stream of cold air running over it at stock location. It's a pretty good design, and I havent messed with it yet. After having to sawzall my friends 3000gt wheel well to drop his CAI down into the empty space there, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to either. A nice K&N drop-in box filter is good enough for me.

audiophile
02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by mayagman
Thats a good point, I didnt see the image on my text-only browser :P
The nice little tube that jutts up to your grille has an optimal stream of cold air running over it at stock location. It's a pretty good design, and I havent messed with it yet. After having to sawzall my friends 3000gt wheel well to drop his CAI down into the empty space there, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to either. A nice K&N drop-in box filter is good enough for me.
No K&N either, your just asking for a maf with that combo :mad: keep the stock filter.

vbrock1137
02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
:werd:

SLAMMED_C
02-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Id say stay away from that kit.. your stock airbox would work much better then that crap!.. its pulling in hot air from the engine bay.
better off making one yourself and running 3" intake pipe down to behind the bumper and use a K&N cone filter...
I have heard many people with problems of overoiling the air filter and messing up MAS's... but I have noticed the K&N filters now come pre-oiled.
just have to be careful I guess.

and you wont gain any HP from an air filer.. just better throttle response.

manny
02-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by audiophile
No K&N either, your just asking for a maf with that combo :mad:

You have any PROOF of that?:rolleyes:

manny
02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
but I have noticed the K&N filters now come pre-oiled.

Hmmmm, I've been buying K&N filters for 20 years.
They have ALWAYS come pre-oiled. ;)

mayagman
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Chances are you wont have any MAS problems if you follow simple maintenance procedures. This topic has been discussed at least 10 times, and everyone has a different answer. If you follow simple maintenance procedures with regards to your MAS, and the filter, you have a very small, if any, increase in chance of a failed MAS. Same with anything on your car, preventative maintenance and a dose of common sence (a rather hard to find part, whatever you do, DONT ask a dealer) will really decrease your chance of having problems down the road.

audiophile
02-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by manny
You have any PROOF of that?:rolleyes:
ask any of the members that have had k&n in their cars. i personally went through 2 mafs in less than a year.

mayagman
02-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Coming up on a year with this benz, and more than 5 with the others, and I've never had a problem. I think it depends on the oiling mostly, that seems to be what builds up on most ppls MAS and causes it to croak. I wash mine out when I do my plugs with 91% Isopropyl alchohol, let it dry out, make sure theres no big buildup, and check the filter, if it leaves a grease spot on a paper towel after about 10 minutes, its too oily.

manny
02-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by audiophile
ask any of the members that have had k&n in their cars. i personally went through 2 mafs in less than a year.

First of all, I've had mine on for 3 years without any problems.
Secondly, I've had MANY vehicles over the last few years, a lot of them with MAF's....absolutely NO problems.
Also talked to the K&N engineers at last years SEMA show & received solid prove that this is nothing more than an old wives tale. ;)

audiophile
02-04-2005, 04:00 PM
other cars i've never had trouble either, but when i got the benz is when i started to have problems. and no its not because i never maintained it. always have taken care of any matinence issues with the car.

sleek_benzo
02-23-2005, 02:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7956479421&category=38634

another new intake on ebay.. wow..:confused:

jnenad16
02-23-2005, 04:54 PM
they wont show how it looks underneat the cover. probably sponge, which in my opinion is worse than cotton gauze.

nenad

sleek_benzo
02-24-2005, 07:04 AM
hahaha.. thats probably true :D

vbrock1137
02-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Someone on the forum sold one of these awhile back, it had a sponge filter. Also, the price is way too high if you ask me.

alboogiee
02-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by macaroni
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=7951570018&rd=1

Is it worth buying at that price? Will it help me at all? Anybody with the same or similar systems got a review?

in short no...will make noise, not power