PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when your shocks are shot?

kameraguy
06-19-2003, 08:24 PM
I'm still running the OEM AMG bilsteins and am wondering when will I need to change them.

Generally speaking, what problems do you notice that are consistent with worn shocks?

I think my ride is somewhat harsh, but i'm not sure if that's due to the wheel/tire/sport suspension set-up, or if it's due to worn suspension components.

Any info is appreciated!

714guy
06-19-2003, 08:37 PM
i think if you push down on the shock, and it doesnt go back up immediately or goes up slowly then they might be worned out. Also see if there is any fluilds or oil on the shock maybe they are leaking.

When my shocks were leaking the ride was harsh and my car ans steering wheel vibrated like a motha.

nokia8860
06-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
i think if you push down on the shock, and it doesnt go back up immediately or goes up slowly then they might be worned out.

But that would require removing to test?

I generally keep my own weird replacement guide. I replace shocks every 60k simply because shocks wear out over time and you sorta get use to how the ride gets. Its all just part of regular maintence for me.

So unless jeff has some good ideas on some new shocks for my ride I'll be getting the h&r cup kit.

oh found this on the carguy site

click me for a good time (http://www.thecarguy.com/articles/shocks.htm)

kameraguy
06-19-2003, 09:16 PM
I can understand replacement after x amount of time, and 60K does sound like a lot of time on one set. Since i'm almost @ 100k, i'd better just replace mine to be safe.

With that said, what do you guys recommend as replacements? I have H&R springs, so this would be a good time to get suitable shocks to match better than what I have.

Bilstein sports?

Where is the best place (ie: price) to get them?

714guy
06-19-2003, 09:37 PM
check out the sista site i think elvir found a place that was very cheap.

William420
06-20-2003, 01:06 AM
I replace my shocks when my car start to ride like a boat... My last replacement was when the shocks were on the car for 60K miles.

Sander has very good price on Bilstein sport. You can probably find cheaper prices from other internet shops if you look hard enough, but I guess you need to make sure they are reputable before placing orders.

SLK Boy
06-20-2003, 08:44 AM
I also heard 60k is a good time to replace the shocks...maybe earlier if you lowered (unless you got sport shocks). But nokia is right...since the change in handling is so gradual, you might not even notice...

hey Kam, what rims you got on your car now? looks nice!

C280 JR
06-20-2003, 09:17 AM
i got my shocks at bimmerparts.com. They were only $66.67 for blistain sports. They are usually between 72-78 bucks each

When i bought them they had a sale, so hopefully they still have the sale going on...check them out quick

Elvir

speedybenz
06-20-2003, 01:06 PM
"How do you know when your shock are shot?"

Answer: When you have close to 100,000 miles on them. Shame on you.

Jeff

kameraguy
06-20-2003, 01:19 PM
yea, ok...so i GUESS i need to change mine now :p

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. The prices on the bilsteins sound reasonable.....but now nokia is suggesting a cup kit which i know is the best all-around way to go.....

So I may need to save some pennies to go that route.

Anyone have experience with the H&R cup kit btw? In the past i read it was the best combo to go with as it is a matched spring/shock setup....

Jimmy, thanks! I am now using 17" AMG splitspokes from a C32. I like them. They are lighter than the oem monoblocks, and allow good brake cooling. And they do allow a nice peep into the brakes...although I have nothing to show just yet.....but maybe next year. Also, they are staggered!!! :D

William420
06-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Chris, my bro is using that cup kit on his 202. I heard some ppl saying it's soft but on my bro's car it's pretty darn stiff and I like it. I think it lowers the car more than H&R spring... My bro's front is lower than my 210 (no gap) and rear is half finger gap (on 19", no clue what# of pad).. If I remember correctly, I think OOSIX is selling his cup-kit!

kameraguy
06-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info Will! Maybe i'll hit-up oosix and see what's up with his kit :)

c36ryder
06-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Hey Kam,
I was in the same situation as you a couple of months ago. I had H&R springs installed with my stock shocks and the ride was okay for a while. My mechanic told me previously that I should probably start thinking about replacing my shocks because they were leaking. After I replaced them with Bilstein Sports Shocks, the difference was pretty noticeable. The ride was a little stiffer but definitely smoother. I don't feel all the little bumps that I used to when I had the old shocks. Even my wife noticed it!
Good Luck.

speedybenz
06-21-2003, 10:35 AM
WE should talk to the QA1 shock company. They apeear to offer a well built shock that is rebuildable and adjustable externally.

Here is the link:
http://www.qa1.net/shocks/genf.html

Jeff

Renn 208
06-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
WE should talk to the QA1 shock company. They apeear to offer a well built shock that is rebuildable and adjustable externally.

Here is the link:
http://www.qa1.net/shocks/genf.html

Jeff

Jeff, could you explain some of the key difference in the types of shocks available? Oval vs. drag shock. What general types of shocks would have appropriate applications in our cars? We know about your penske setup, but what's worth considering from qa1, ohlins, etc? Do all of them have double adjustable shocks that warrant a closer look? Would an Ohlins STJ series shock be similar to your setup?

speedybenz
06-21-2003, 11:26 AM
AJ,

The main difference between drag shocks, race shocks, etc. is the valving that controls the damping of the shock. A drag racing shock would be setup to have little compression to load the rear tires and then lots of rebound damping to keep the shock and suspension compressed.

Yes the Ohlins STJ shock would be very similar to my shock in the way it performs.

The QA1 shocks may be able to have valving installed at the company to work very well with our cars and still have the option of externak adjustment for damping.

Another advantage is that it is rebuildable so if your not real happy with the ride of your car and want the damping of the shock to be changed, it can be done. Revalving is very simple on these shocks.

Or if you buy a different car you can just change a few parts and still have your QA1 shocks fit and work with your new car.

Jeff

nokia8860
06-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Jeff,

What is the process in getting shocks from this company? Would one just call up and say they have x car and would like a shock?

Im interested but just dont know how to go about it.

Rocky
06-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Generally speaking, what problems do you notice that are consistent with worn shocks?

You know, when I have this really hot date, and we run out of gas, and we started moving to the back seat...and the car hops higher then a snoop doggy dog car.

nokia8860
06-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
You know, when I have this really hot date, and we run out of gas, and we started moving to the bad seat...and the car hops higher then a snoop doggy dog car.

hahaha dork :p

Rocky
06-23-2003, 03:16 PM
haha who knows? it could happen. :rolleyes:

kameraguy
06-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
You know, when I have this really hot date, and we run out of gas, and we started moving to the back seat...and the car hops higher then a snoop doggy dog car.

EXACTLY!!!

So I guess I DO need new shocks :p

nokia8860
06-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
EXACTLY!!!

So I guess I DO need new shocks :p

No rocky was saying in real life not in your dreams :p

kameraguy
06-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Damn! Clowned yet again!!! :( :p

Rocky