PDA

View Full Version : Body Moulding clips

ladd
02-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Anyone know where I can get some of those small clips that retain the chrome strips inside the body side mouldings?

Had mine painted today at the body shopm, but we broke several of these clips and the dealer does not sell them independent of the moulding.

Thanks

JRE320
02-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Dealers!

714guy
02-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by ladd
Anyone know where I can get some of those small clips that retain the chrome strips inside the body side mouldings?

Had mine painted today at the body shopm, but we broke several of these clips and the dealer does not sell them independent of the moulding.

Thanks

You can't get those, you have to buy the entire molding, Dealers don't sell those clips.

I f you brok only a couple, compensate, space then out a little further. thats one i did.

!!!!!NJ Drive
02-15-2005, 01:03 PM
i plan on doing this in the next couple of weeks, got any advice/technique to avoid breaking the clips

202rules
02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
i plan on doing this in the next coupleof weeks, got any advice/technique to avoid breaking the clips

My advice,

take a flat head screwdriver and drimmel it in the middle to make a fork out of it, then use that to twist these clips and take them out, it worked like a dream for me and i still have that screwdriver, it's become my special tool for this job. Too bad I only did this after breaking several of these clips, but I spaced them out like 714guy said.

So dealers don't sell these separately? That really sucks!!!

ladd
02-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Best to do exactly as previously posted, dremel the middle of a screw driver head.

As far as breaking some, it will happen - they are fragile.

Tip for removing the rear quarter panel very short moulding, this clip is pretty strong, so use prize up with care slowly. They do sell this clip, I broke one of mine. Same thing with front fender moulding, it has three equally spaced barrel type clips - it's easy compared to the small rear piece.

The door moulding after removing the screw from the inside of the door, just slide the molding toward the rear of the car - it's that easy. Mercedes design remains the best!

Got the car back together today after painting both bumpers and mouldings - it looks great! All for less than $275. I performed the labor.

714guy
02-16-2005, 07:34 AM
this is what i did, I took some small twessers and put them in the small two holes on the outside and then squeezed it together and then took pliers and gripped the tip of the twesser good and turned it. After i did that didn't brake a single clip. I did my cousins car too after my car.

!!!!!NJ Drive
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
how long does all this take to do...seems kinda frustrating & are the clips really that fragile :confused:

why didnt MB jus color match the molding???

c280steve
05-23-2005, 10:48 AM
i used a hanger with pliers