PDA

View Full Version : What bushings do i need

C280 JR
06-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Sista site was not able to help me out much..but i want to know, when you drop your car, what is the primary bushings that everybody replaces on their cars?

Elvir

Renn 208
06-20-2003, 09:49 AM
look at any that are cracked, or look like they've gone brittle and replace them.

No bushings should be automatically replaced just because you drop your car.

OT: I will just laugh if this turns into another huge multipage thread

714guy
06-20-2003, 09:52 AM
but should just change them when there old since they've gone soft and all, or should you wait till they get cracked, I was goin to buy a press and do all of mine in august.

I think there only the one in the upper and lower control arms for the front and the in the back . . . i dont know i have to look at it again

C280 JR
06-20-2003, 09:52 AM
hahah yea i do ask a lot of questions!!! But u have to realize..the more i ask the more i know...Now for my next question

Are tehre any pictures that show all the locations of bushings for the front and back so that i can go look

Elvir

Recaro18
06-20-2003, 10:06 AM
I have 59k miles on my car...i had just replaced my lower control arm bushings....my tires wore out on the inside, so i looked at the bushings and they're cracked/worn out...replaced them, they're about $60 each side for bushing kit....

If your tires wear out unevenly, just check your bushings for cracks... you dont have to change them just because you're lowering your car...

pnsji
06-20-2003, 10:19 AM
ask and you shall receive

front

pnsji
06-20-2003, 10:20 AM
rear

C280 JR
06-20-2003, 10:47 AM
is "A" in the front and "B" in the back where the pring pads go...i ordred my pads..and they look like huge donuts....is taht the way theyre supose to look

Where are the upper and lower control arm bushing located

Elvir

Recaro18
06-20-2003, 11:04 AM
the lower control arm bushing is on the first picture (FRONT)...if you look at the letter "B", go straight down...you'll see 2 bushings on the A-arm...those are the 2 i just replaced...

C280 JR
06-20-2003, 11:16 AM
pnsji, the pictures are gone, can u bring them back up

EDIT:nevermind

form the way that you descrpibed it, its right below the spring!

Elvir

nokia8860
06-20-2003, 11:19 AM
spring pads sit on top fo the spring. on each picture look for the donut thing on top of the spring.

C280 JR
06-20-2003, 11:24 AM
ok well this is what ill do....as soon as i get my springs im gonna put them and the shocks on, in the process i will check up on all of my bushings...and if they need replacing then ill take it to the shop, and have them do it, cause everybody is telling me that they need special tools

Elvir

C280 JR
06-21-2003, 08:14 AM
i took my car to the dealer, and he showed me that i need, new lower control arm bushings for my car, cause they are torn up...but the good thing is that those are the only bushings i need!!

Elvir

Rocky
06-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Awesome Elvir, saves you time and money to replace the bushings while your doing the suspension.

You might want to get the alignment bolts to replace the stock lower control arm bushing bolt so you can get at least .5 a degree of camber back.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278&highlight=bolt

*****REMEMBER TO TIGHTEN THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHING WHENT HE CAR IS SITTING CURB HEIGHT. IF YOU TIGHTEN IT WHILE IT'S IN THE AIR, IT'LL WEAR THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS OUT IN LIKE A FEW MONTHS.

d3Code
07-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Just serviced my car and mercedes and they told me that I need some lower control arm bushings. They quoted me a price of $711.00. That seems excessive. Whats the deal?

Thanks,

99 C280 Sport

MBATF
07-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Sounds about right from teh dealership, and other MB shop might charge you around $600

MBATF
07-11-2003, 11:55 AM
My question is... Can I replace teh bushing myself? or do i need special tools for it??? should i might as well replace teh ball joints too???!

CKlasse
07-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by MBATF
My question is... Can I replace teh bushing myself? or do i need special tools for it??? should i might as well replace teh ball joints too???!

Suspension is all about labor! Nothing tricky to it. Bushings are nothing more than pieces of rubbers placed between bolt and nut to ease impact & noise.

You could always loan out the tools from AUTOZONE for FREE. Ive seen their advertisement -- gotta find out the details one of these days.

If this is your first time, work on one corner with someone who has the experience... then finish the rest yourself.

Remember to ALWAYS torque everything down.

oops..just found the link for autozone...
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/steering_suspension/steering_suspension.jsp

Rocky
07-11-2003, 02:35 PM
The tool to remove and put back the bushings is a special tool. It took me 3 hours to find and fabricate a custom tool just to push them in and take them out.

It might be easier and cheaper just to buy a whole new control arm....they come with the bushings already on it.

CKlasse
07-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
The tool to remove and put back the bushings is a special tool. It took me 3 hours to find and fabricate a custom tool just to push them in and take them out.

It might be easier and cheaper just to buy a whole new control arm....they come with the bushings already on it.

I believe you are talking about Puller.. It's pretty common tool. You'll find it in almost all autopart stores.

Rocky
07-12-2003, 06:16 AM
I had to 'press' the bushing out and the thing that pushes the bushing out is some weird size. Remember the bushing is weirdly designed, it's not a solid piece in the middle.

CKlasse
07-12-2003, 08:48 AM
I have always used PULLER for Mercedes Bushings. It's a claw looking tool with a rod/bold in the middle. Mercedes has their own special tools that looks similiar too.

MBATF
07-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Is this the bushing tool you r talking about? http://assets.performanceproducts.com/assets/product/105960/105960_200_1.jpg

C280 JR
07-12-2003, 06:47 PM
are you guyz talking about lower control arm bushings?

ELvir

JRE320
07-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by d3Code
Just serviced my car and mercedes and they told me that I need some lower control arm bushings. They quoted me a price of $711.00. That seems excessive. Whats the deal?

Thanks,

99 C280 Sport

Are they gonna replace the entire control arm for you? If they are going to replace just the bushing for $711 then u are definitely inside a coral of rapist. :rolleyes: :mad: :p ;) :) Hate those people who like to take advantage of others.. :mad: