PDA

View Full Version : Snap cracle pop sounds!

c_lee
02-15-2005, 10:21 PM
I just lowered my 202 with eibach prokits and bilstein sport shocks, mounted 19x8.5 carlsson 1/6 all around on 235/35 toyo proxes 4.

I hav sounds coming where there should be no sounds....

when i make turns while moving in conjunction with the breaks, (mostly forward, but somethimes backwards), I hear this pop/clank sound coming from the the front. Sounds like something is loose or or something is being strained. But it only comes when i'm moving and turn with the brakes applied. If i just do turns w/o the brakes, even really sharp, no sound

Anyone know why?

do worn brake pads cuz these sounds????

or is it something else? I check the bolts, and they all seem to be tight, and there were no apparent ware or scratch marks anywhere.

Thanks

jnenad16
02-15-2005, 11:33 PM
maybe the coil spring didnt seat properly. I had that problem on my C280 last year when I did some suspension work which included removal of the springs. basically, if the spring end does not seat all the way in the control arm groove, it will squeak until it seats completely, so you can either wait for a week of two for this to self adjust or take down the spring and reinstall it properly. I just waited and the noise went away after a week.

nenad

c_lee
02-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the input, but its not a squeeking noize, more of like metal heating metal type of sound

Originally posted by jnenad16
maybe the coil spring didnt seat properly. I had that problem on my C280 last year when I did some suspension work which included removal of the springs. basically, if the spring end does not seat all the way in the control arm groove, it will squeak until it seats completely, so you can either wait for a week of two for this to self adjust or take down the spring and reinstall it properly. I just waited and the noise went away after a week.

nenad

CKlasse
02-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Check your upper strut/shocks' bolts.

714guy
02-16-2005, 07:37 AM
check the fender inner wall coverings, and all the bolts and make sure its all torqued to specs. Also are you rubbing and the tire might be hitting the top of the fender at full turns.

Brakes usually make a nasty sound all the time not only when you turn and you can smell the brakes.

solodough
02-16-2005, 07:55 AM
your lug bolts may be too long in the rear - hittin on e-brake. same ish happened to me.

c_lee
02-16-2005, 08:35 AM
I think the brakes are somehow involved, but don't know how.

Here is the situation of the problem:

I turn sharply without brakes @ 5-10mph, no noise.

I turn using brakes -- depedent on the amount of motion there is on the car, thud or clank type of sound.

This morning, i braked a bit hard just going straight and i heard the same sound. But this isn't consistent when going straight - very sporadic, when turning its more consistent

In parked position, move the wheels, no sound

go super slow and turn with light brake application - no sounds.

grrr.....

Originally posted by solodough
your lug bolts may be too long in the rear - hittin on e-brake. same ish happened to me.

nukblazi
02-16-2005, 10:21 AM
This is why you should do mods one at a time.

Back the right rear wheel bolts out one by one and check them for strike marks. When I changed mine, they would only strike at speed and when making a right hand turn with the brakes applied.

If you don't see strike marks, start re-torquing your suspension.

solodough
02-16-2005, 07:10 PM
whats the offset on your rims? are you using spacers? are you using stock lug bolts or longer ones?

c_lee
02-16-2005, 09:42 PM
The problem is not the wheels.

I just took off the 19s and put back on my stock sport rims with the stock lugs, and i still have the sound. It only comes when i
m making a turn and applying the brakes.

i don't get it....

Originally posted by solodough
whats the offset on your rims? are you using spacers? are you using stock lug bolts or longer ones?

c_lee
02-16-2005, 10:06 PM
btw, anyone know of any link that has step by step instructions on how to install springs on a w202?

rman
09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
i have this same noise/problem....very similar. anyone have any ideas? one of the techs at my shop rode with me and said it sounds like the spring making the loud pop and clank. too loud for a ball joint or tie rod....

davis449
09-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16

nenad

I'd be about 90% sure that this is what your problem is. I'm sure cause the same thing you're describing happened to me. It's that "clang" sound isn't it? It's your spring not settling properly. Take it back to the place you had it installed and they'll have you in and out in no time.

NEA-4311
09-12-2006, 01:15 PM
This is a 2005 thread, only read posts written in it in 2006.

rman
09-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by davis449
I'd be about 90% sure that this is what your problem is. I'm sure cause the same thing you're describing happened to me. It's that "clang" sound isn't it? It's your spring not settling properly. Take it back to the place you had it installed and they'll have you in and out in no time.

guess i got to bring it back home :rolleyes:

i have access to a lift, and i was under there yesterday. I noticed the side that makes the noise, the spring is right in there snug with the groove of the LCA.
On the other side, there is about 1/8-1/4" gap between the spring end and the groove in the LCA. I was thinking the one making noise doesn't have room to shift around, etc.

This is a good excuse to trim a little off the front to get some rake in my stance :D

rman
09-23-2006, 10:36 AM
okay so 2 weeks ago i yanked the front springs and trimmed them....still made the noise.

couldn't figure it out, so i brought it to my old shop - SEARS.

slight wheel bearing play, but the biggest thing, which fixed it was - THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLTS WERE LOOSE!!!!

i didn't replace them after removing them (single use) so they backed themselves out....Now that they are snug there is no more noise. I will be replacing them when I get around to it....or at least putting a dab of lok tite on them...