PDA

View Full Version : In bad shape, some quirks...

mr. gatsbury
02-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, you guys have always seemed to help in the past. I have come across 3 problems in the last few months or so...

First, My engine is making way too much noise at idle. Not engine noise exactly but things moving in the engine bay. When I got the car a year ago I would have to check the RPM's to make sure it was running. It was that quiet. Now it seems like the fan spins faster and just a lot of noise in general in there. I think the belts could use replasing. They are clicking and whining a bit. Weird how I just had an oil change and they didn't say anything about the belts needing to be replaced. Anyone had this problem? I want my engine bay quiet again...

Second, I noticed a very subtle vibration when the car is at idle. I can feel it in the pedals, steering wheel and I can even see the passenger seat vibrating a bit when no one is sitting there. Any clues? Not the gas or anything. I have gone through several tanks and its been there all the while...

Third, Sometimes when I go to start my car it just chirps and nothing happens. I took it to my mechanic that said something needed to be lubricated. I was hoping it was the starter cause it would be covered under warranty. But something about this thing needs to be lubricated so it doesn't pick up electrical current or some garbage like that. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't but when it does happen it usually takes several attempts waiting in between starts to get it to turn. I have also noticed that if I turn the steering wheel a bit while I start (if it is acting up) it seems to start right up. WTF???

Any help you guys can give me is much appreciated...

Thanks

FreeStyler
02-16-2005, 06:15 AM
My car vibrates and the engine is loud. I think it is a c class thing.

mr. gatsbury
02-16-2005, 10:12 AM
yeah but it wasn't always this way...

JRE320
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Try cleaning your fan belt with w40 and check out any loose parts
in your engine bay.

BLKc230
02-16-2005, 03:44 PM
When im chillin at a stop light my w202 will also randomly vibrate. I can feel it in the pedel and my seat. Only last for a couple seconds, then its gone. Kinda wierd. Dosnt happen all the time, just every once in a while.

ja2k
02-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by FreeStyler
My car vibrates and the engine is loud. I think it is a c class thing.

This happens to me as well.:( :(

mr. gatsbury
02-17-2005, 05:48 PM
how bout the other things?

SLAMMED_C
02-17-2005, 07:34 PM
For the first problem.. its hard to diagnose without being there to see it or hear it.. but belts rarely go bad and start squeaking.. just wear out and crack a lot! maybe check your belt tensioner shock and belt tensioner. the shock bushing goes bad and makes a nice noise in the engine bay.. at idle and while driving.

second problem.. could be a slight missfire at idle.. possibly really bad and worn engine mounts.. but the most common thing is a slight missfire intermittently.. I have that happen too.. the W202 isnt a very quiet car!

Third thing... could be a few items.. what year is your car? if it has an EIS, it or a key could be faulty, when the key is turned to start.. it sends a coded signal into the EIS to verify this is the right key for the car.. and lets you start. it may be intermittanly not sending the code? could be the ring gear needs to be lubed with ring gear paste. when the car starts a signal is sent to the starter to release the hold in winding and stop cranking the starter.. but sometimes if the ring gear is dragging too much the dragging can be interpreted as the signal for the car being started and running.. while cranking check your rpm gauge and if the gauge reads over 500rpm while trying to crank and shuts itself off.. it need to be lubed.. this was a problem ont he W208.. could be a possibility on your car.
if you say it takes several starts with waiting in between the starts.. it may be a faulty crank sensor.. this will not set off any codes if it is faulty.. only a code is set as it happens.. then goes away, so oyu would have to have a computer hooked up to read codes while you are cranking the car over..

hope this helps out a bit.. maybe give you some direction to look into..

mr. gatsbury
02-18-2005, 10:54 AM
thanks, for the info. I'll get some things looked and let you guys know for future refrence. If anyone else has any imput keep it comming...

thanks again

mr. gatsbury
02-23-2005, 07:48 AM
under closer observation. I've found that there is a slight tapping or clicking comming from what appears to be the block. What could this be?