PDA

View Full Version : Mounting amp upside down...?

vbrock1137
02-16-2005, 07:40 PM
I recently purchased some subs and an amp real cheap from a friend, and am deciding where to mount the amp. The top of the sub box is too narrow and mounting on the back of the box would push it too far out from the back of my trunk. I'm thinking about mounting the amp upside down under the rear deck.

I was warned however, that in this position the heat sink would not be as effective and the amp could overheat easily.

Questions: Since the air inside the amp isn't moving, the heat would not rise because there would be no colder, more dense air, so wouldn't the heat sink be just as effective on the bottom as on the top? It's an alpine V12 amp, any chance it has an auto shutoff if it gets too hot?

stox
02-16-2005, 08:04 PM
What about mounting it where a Bose amp is normally mounted?

714guy
02-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I heard its not good b/c it can't disapate heat, since heat rises and the heat will then reheat the amp instead of goin away if you had it mounted the right way and heat will rise away from the amp.

I 've seen many people mount it upside down with no problem so i dont know.

vbrock1137
02-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Where is the Bose amp normally mounted?

neema12
02-16-2005, 09:28 PM
What amp is this, some dont run as hot. Also, why dont you put it in the rear dash near the first aid kit, you can pop that out and put the amp their. Also, near the spare, or around the tool kit. As far as mounting it upsidedown, I dont think that will be a problem.

Renn 208
02-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by vbrock1137
Where is the Bose amp normally mounted?

on the side wall, underneath the trunk liner....

actually, that might not be right. Someone please holla!

vbrock1137
02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Hmm, surprised I didn't think of mounting it in the first aid kit area. Since I already took my kit and tray out, that'll be a snap. Good suggestion.

Maruzo
02-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
on the side wall, underneath the trunk liner....

actually, that might not be right. Someone please holla!

Yeah, that's where my 98 E320's oem amp is hiding. It's not the best place to get to, but there's enough room for a 6X10" device.

That's probably the biggest amp you can fit in.

714guy
02-17-2005, 09:28 AM
the stock amp is mounting side ways, behind the trunk coverings on the driver side.

pnsji
02-17-2005, 10:53 AM
What kind of amp is this? are you running 4 ohm? 2 ohm? 1 ohm?

The bose stock amp is located on the left side:
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/misc/left%20cavity.jpg

Depending on the brand of the amp, you might be able to mount it upside down.
Jason is right, the heat always go up and if the heatsink is facing down, the heat till go back to the amp.

I have mounted several amps upsidedown. After testing, if the amp runs pretty hot(for example because of running low impedance), you can install a small 12volts fan on top of the amp.

vbrock1137
02-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Solved, realized there was enough space on the back of the sub box. Thanks.