PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations in the morning

Eiknujrac
02-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Every morning when I go to start my car, and back out of the driveway, my car shakes pretty violently. It only happens when the car is in Drive, it doesn't happen when in park, reverse, or neutral.

However, after about 15-20 minutes through my commute, the vibrations stop. After that, when I pull up to a stoplight, I can barely tell the car is even running.

The car is a 1998 C280 sport, with 84,000 miles, and the orignal harmonic balancer, with the part number 00-00. Would this have anything to do with the vibrations? I have watched the pulley at idle, and there is no wobble. It runs straight and has no cracks in the rubber.

I plan to get the pulley replaced next week, do you think this will cure my idle problem? Or should I still have them look at it while its in the shop?

Thanks in advance

jnenad16
02-20-2005, 12:43 PM
have you checked the engine and transmission mounts?

TexasCharlie
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I know this is an old post but I have a very similar problem on my 99 230 kompressor:

When the vehicle is started from cold, it starts ok and the engine runs ok in “Park”. However, when I put my foot on the brake and change to “Drive” there is a lot of vibration from the engine and the dashboard. The noise and vibration disappear when my foot is lifted off the brake and the accelerator is pressed. Also, once the vehicle is warmed up and driven for 30 minutes, this does not happen.

I have heard that this might be worn motor mounts. How can I check if they are the culprit? Are there visible signs of wear on these things? (and any pointers to where they are would be helpful!)

any suggestions welcome.

thanks

TC

Proven Guilty
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
for both instances, it sounds to me like its a vaccuum problem under the hood. check all the lines to make sure everything is still properly connected.

greenphant
09-28-2006, 11:46 AM
If the vibration goes away, it doesn't sound like motor mounts. If the mounts are bad, the car will always vibrate when at idle, and more so when in drive at idle.

TexasCharlie
09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
thanks for these replies.

I have been told by an indepandant mechanic that the motor mounts have silicone inside. This goes hard after a few years, and so I get the vibration when cold, but as the motor warms up, the silcone also warms up and the vibration goes away.

Does this make sense?

Also, i will check under the bonnet tonight for the vacuum lines/condition/cracks etc. Apologies for being such a novice but what do they look like? where are they?

regards

tc

shandy
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
I agree with your mechanic ,this is normal when the hydraulic motor mounts as fitted to the C-class get older , replace them and your vibrations will disappear.
Geo.

TexasCharlie
10-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Just wanted to let ya'll know how this turned out.

I had the motor mounts replaced at a local independant garage last week and all the vibration has gone. Also the car is now much quiter when accelerating.

regards

tc