PDA

View Full Version : my car is having problems

mbw202
02-24-2005, 06:50 PM
I have a 1995 c220 and there are some problems with it. when i first start it up in the morning when its cold im guessing.. this has been happening lately since its been cold there is a squeeking noise coming from the engine. I thought it was the drive belt so i changed that. but the sound went away for about a few days. Maybe its the tenchener? Then when it sets out in the sun or like is turned on and driven somewhere and off then again and again for like 4 to 5 times about the 6th times it has truoble starting. It starts then shuts off. sometimes i can be lucky and it will start oin the second try sometimes it takes like 5 tries. it all depends. any idea anyone.. I dont think tis the mass air flow or sensors.. bc if it was would the check engine light be on?

nokia8860
02-24-2005, 07:39 PM
does it crank or when you turn the key all you hear is a click.

J Irwan
02-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Does the engine cranck pretty strong but it never turned-over (engage)?
If the engine cranck strong, then the Battery is good, and the starter is good which leave another possiblity in mind -- fuel pump regulator.

Let me ask you this.

How is your habit in re-fueling..?

Do you always re-fuel the moment the needle reach 1/4 mark, do you always wait till the light is lid and the needle almost reach the bottom..

If you always have a habit refueling everytime the needle almost empty..

then there is a high possibility that your fuel pump regulator is acting up (you'd need to replace this).

W202(and many other Benz model) fuel pump regulator is inside the fuel tank. And that it uses the fuel itself as part of the cooling system (to dissipate heat).

So if you run fuel on low level most of the time chance are this fuel pump regulator will fail prematurely.

Regardz,

SLAMMED_C
02-24-2005, 08:13 PM
the squeaking noise could either be the tensioner or the tensioner shock.. common problem.. but kinda pricey repair.

the starting problem is difficult to diagnose without seeing the car and testing it..
but I have seen crank sensors go faulty and cause the enigne to shut off.. more so usually after driving and the engine has reached operating temp.. then it wont restart, after waiting say 10-30 mins it may start up ok.. but again will stall out after warmed up again.
this will not set off the check engine light as the crank sensor will only set a fault off as it happens, it will not be stored. so it will have to be hooked up to a MB hht and tested that way.. hoping the car stalls out with the tester hooked up to see the code appear.
another possibility is the ECU.. maybe losing a voltage feed then shutting off the car.. but that would for sure set off the check engine light.

I dont think its anything to do with the fuel sending units in the tank... might be a good idea to have it scanned for codes.. if nothing, Id say crank sensor is a good possibility.

mbw202
02-26-2005, 01:00 PM
today was prteey cold and my car stayed up fine in the morning. Then the sun was beating down on it todya and it was fine to. Driving it for about 5 mins the squeeking noise came back. I dont let my fuel tank run to empty or even close to it. Well there maybe sometimes but rarely. Went i am coasting along and not touching the gas that is when it squeeks. Then when i give it some gas it stops. Gets a little bit annoying. Anyone up in central ohio that knows about stuff want to help me look at it or something. The car is getting old but i love the car to death and i want to keep it. Hopefully i dont have to spend major bucks to fix anything. I may think that it is something to do with the tensioner. How much will that price me at to get it fix you think.. like at dealership. Think i can do it myself. I got the tools to do it. And got a tech that can help me do it too.

mbw202
02-26-2005, 01:11 PM
What do you think about this. Think i should get it for my 95 c220
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7956714384&category=38634

SLAMMED_C
02-26-2005, 09:59 PM
dont even bother with that.. waste of money.
your stock intake is much better then that, either just get a K&N style panel filter replacement or make a custom intake with the cone filter located behind the bumper.

the whole point of an intake it so get outside air (colder then engine bay air) in the engine.
by buying these so called "cold air intake" kits off ebay you are actually getting hot engine bay air.. it defeats the whole purpose.