PDA

View Full Version : To better the 202 Driving Experience...

AWD_Dan
02-28-2005, 07:07 PM
I've done a bit of searching on this board and there doesn't seem to be too many people attacking the 'response' issue, more shock-and-spring solutions. I've owned my 202 for a short time now, the steering is light, but accurate, body roll is abundant, even with springs! I'd assume a sway bar upgrade, especially in the tail end, would help with weight transfer. (I can't even IMAGINE how much worse it is with the V8) But hey, The brakes are great!

What about upgraded bushings? What about chassis stiff'nin parts? Torque converters even? Rear diffs? I haven't had an automatic for a while, but it would be AWESOME to get the engine/drivetrain to respond quicker?!?

I can get my C36 to transition nicely in the twisties, but the cornering feels rubberband-ish. I'd like to be able to feel the road and control the car with smoother inputs at the limit. The bilstein's, while softer than some, have a great feel and are quite predictable. I can tell many of the instabilities could be addressed with a more aggresive alignment and the upgrades I mentioned. But where are they? Do they exist, and no one is sharing?

Regarding the shocks and spring issue -- Next to the $5000 Penske's, what would be the second, most killer setup out there?

AWD_Dan
02-28-2005, 07:11 PM
If you take the time to post and tell me to search, show me what posts or weblinks. I'm looking for the goods, not the APC's of Benz tuning.

-- Some might say I enjoy the drive a bit too much... I live to pilot myself with efficiency :D

stox
02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
If you are driving a C36 and body roll is abundant, there is something wrong with your car. The V8 should be better than the I6, in terms of weight distribution, as it weighs less. On the other hand, I have never driven a C43.

martattack
02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
It seems to be the consensus that H&R Sport springs and Bilstein or Koni Shocks seem to be the next best.

AWD_Dan
02-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Maybe 'abundant' was a bit too harsh... The handling of the car is superb, but I want legendary. ;)

97Brabus
02-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I was wondering the same. Still waiting to hear about the urethene bushings but are there other things? Tie bars n' stuff like that?

speedybenz
02-28-2005, 10:07 PM
I have a really advanced suspension set-up on my W202 and it works very, very good. Almost no body roll and cornering speeds that will make a E46, M3 take notice and most likely get left behind in the corners. I made all the stuff myself and that includes working with Penske shocks to arrive at a very good shock valving package. I have 8100 Penske shocks with the low speed compression adjuster valving on the remote resivour. A 1.25" front swaybar and a 19mm swaybar in the rear. Custom Camber Links for the rear and heim jionted links for the rear swaybar. I also have built some spring perches that allow me to run race spec Eibach 2.5" diameter springs on adjustable ride ht. spring perches. These perches are separate from the shocks, so it is not a coilover set-up, which would not work on the W202 anyhow.

I hope that helps. Search on stuff with speedybenz in the title.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5953

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5809

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
speeyds camber arms, polyurethane bushings, speedys sway bars, and Delrin Bushings would that fix the issue?

sleek_benzo
03-01-2005, 07:04 AM
<------- would like to meet speedbenz :D

Dr.Drew
03-01-2005, 09:40 AM
actually the C43 V8 is almost identical weight as the cast iron Inline-6 in the C280 and C36

i was thinking yesterday about upgrading the sway bars i when under the car to look for them they are under tones of parts has anyone upgraded to thicker sway bars how involved is it i would like to do it my self if at all possible.

C43 is 200lbs lighter then the C280

jnolte
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
It all matter which engines you are talking about. The 1994-1997 engine are all cast iron blocks. The 1998+ are aluminum blocks for the c43s, i am not sure for the c280s but i think they are too.

The w202 handling does suck, start with lowering your car with some H&Rs and getting some Koni shocks. Then get some polyurethane bushings and camber arms. Bigger wheels with wider rubber will help too, weichers sport makes a front and rear strut bars (wont work with C43 due to throttle cable in the way) and Eibach makes bigger sway bars.

Ashkan's C280
03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
well besides what you said and the derlin stuff, what else can you do?

Ashkan's C280
03-01-2005, 09:45 PM
ot is there anyone in socal area that can put on camber arms, bushing shocks springs and all that stuff, sway bars? I hate going to stealership? please

97Brabus
03-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Custom Camber Links for the rear and heim jionted links for the rear swaybar. Jeff

Can you provide more detail on this? What exactly is heim jointed? What's the advantage? Better effect of the sway bar on lowered cars?

Thanks!

AWD_Dan
03-02-2005, 07:42 AM
yes yes yes! Now we're talking. Speedybenz. I want Delrin, I want Polyurathane, I want camber links and sway bar links!

We need a "Buy it NOW" button... ;)

I know it will be a bit noisey, but its still a Luxury Sedan in my heart and I'm not really willing to go full race in this car, even tho I do miss hosing E46's on the mountain passes. :p Decisions, decisions.

I'll most likely be rolling through Sac on the 12th or 13th of this month. Interested in meeting up somewhere for beers and Benz B.S.?? --or whatever floats your boat. And if you have some of these parts to distribute, I'd be interested in those as well.

sleek_benzo
03-02-2005, 08:01 AM
interesting...

<---- sacramento :D

speedybenz
03-02-2005, 11:35 AM
sleek- We will have to meet up and I will give you a ride in my C43.

AWD Dan, The changes really do not add much noise it just lets the car do what it is supposed to do. Extra noise maybe from the standpoint of more contact with the road and more feedback on what the car is doing.

Jeff

sleek_benzo
03-02-2005, 12:09 PM
anytime :D

AWD_Dan
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
And thats EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Email me your voice # to arrange a time for me to swing through and check out the goods. Plus I'm interested in discussing penske shocks for another special application.

And I'm sure I'll be sharing with the rest of the 202 community my enthusiasm with improved vehicular feedback.

To better the Driving experience,
-Dan