PDA

View Full Version : I want to make Carbon Fiber for your benz!

Dan Rotigel
02-28-2005, 07:22 PM
I've been interested in CF/glass/kevlar for a year now, and stumbled over the 'CF hood' thread(s) on your site a few days ago. I just got some samples and am ready to put in an order to the manufacturer for some resin and CF. Now all i need is some ideas from you guys of what parts to make.

Airboxes? Spoilers? Interior trim? C-pillar vents? Valve covers? Engine trim? Trunk lids? Grill surrounds? Shifter-knobs? Fenders? What do you guys want made-it all depends on the level of interest/pre orders you can get going.

If there is enough interest, i'll make a prototype of the part. If you guys like the looks, and i get enough pre-orders to cover my butt financially, i'll make a run of the parts.

This will be a hobby for me, so i'm not going to be interested in making el-cheapo parts, on the other hand, if you guys decide you want a short run of CF airdams made, well, its gonna cost you.

Check out my page at Jack Glass Carbon fiber (http://www.people.iup.edu/hlwf/jackglass.html) . Any requests can be submitted directly to me through the site, and i'm also setting up an e-mail list to keep people update. Go ahead and register because this will be the best way to keep current on what i'm making!

Moderators- Leave a link in this forum to get interest up, I'll move any and all correspondance about prices and such to the sales/group buy forum-after I have enough posts
:D

cheers,
Dan Rotigel
Jack Glass Carbon fiber

Denlasoul
02-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Dan,

You know what I'm looking to find! I'll be in touch. :D

sleek_benzo
03-01-2005, 06:56 AM
is this guy reputable??

i would love an airbox carbon fiber... umm.. shift knob.. umm... engine cover..

let me think some more...

Dan Rotigel
03-01-2005, 07:25 AM
SleekBenzo-Good question! The proof will be in the pudding as I just started this whole deal about a month ago. My home forum is www.mercedesshop.com-you can do a search for me there if you'd like. Trust me though-this thing is too much of a hassle for a scam.

Dennis- Looks like you guys have a pretty active community here. Am getting numerous requests for a high-performance hood :D

Cheers,
Dan Rotigel
Jack Glass Carbon Fiber

sleek_benzo
03-01-2005, 07:30 AM
link no show...

but as again.. i'm very interested in a carbon fiber engine cover to replace my stock one..

i still want the lettering and emblem on it.. more like an overlay or something..

and an airbox to replace my oem one..

that would be nice :)

Dan Rotigel
03-01-2005, 08:23 AM
www.mercedesshop.com should get you there. Copy and paste it if you need to. Take a picture of the engine cover you want done and send it to hlwf@iup.edu. include the part number if you can and i'll see what i come up with.

Cheers,

Dan Rotigel
Jack Glass Carbon Fiber

Superpnoy
03-01-2005, 09:32 AM
whats up Dan,

welcome to the boards...

this sounds great!

im interested in CF trimming interior for my car, shift knob, and maybe the center box Cover (its like an armrest but its the center of the driver and passenger seat where you store stuff inside)...

sleek_benzo
03-01-2005, 09:33 AM
quick question... where are you from anyways??

Dan Rotigel
03-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Superpnoy,

I'm making a count of who needs what-the group with the most demand gets their parts made! So if you want a interior package, convince as many others to tell me, or go ahead and organize a group buy.

Sleek-I'm based just east of Pittsburgh. It would be great if you guys could located a w202 member in the area for me to take a look at their car.

cheers,
Dan Rotigel
Jack Glass Carbon fiber

sleek_benzo
03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Calling all PA members!!! please pay mr rotigel a visit..

don't everyone want a "carbon fiber engine cover" instead of their stock black plain and simple.. :D :D

Denlasoul
03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sleek_benzo
Calling all PA members!!! please pay mr rotigel a visit..
Click me :) (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6200)

sleek_benzo
03-01-2005, 12:12 PM
<--- newbie

ShollyC220
03-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Dan, I'm located in Harrisburg, PA- how far am I from you? I could make a trip out there on a weekend to let everyone know what your place is like, plus I'm interested in a few carbon parts myself.

-sholly

Dan Rotigel
03-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Its about three hours I think-the area code is 15601. If we get some confirmed interest in the engine cover or other parts, it might be an option.

Sleek-you'd better let everybody know what type of engine you have if you want them to be interested-I don't think your engine cover would work for all engines.

Dan

Tump43
03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm interested in the engine cover and air box for my C43. The chrome star on my front engine cover just disintegrated.

I don't want to spend $200 on a new AMG piece just for the cheap platic chrome star.

Anyone have a metal star that would fit? I'd use it until the C/F engine covers are ready.

Thanks

jnolte
03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Tump43
I'm interested in the engine cover and air box for my C43. The chrome star on my front engine cover just disintegrated.

I don't want to spend $200 on a new AMG piece just for the cheap platic chrome star.

Anyone have a metal star that would fit? I'd use it until the C/F engine covers are ready.

Thanks

i would be intrested in this as well, my star is also gone. Hoiw much and how long would this take? I know there is other members with c43,c55s that would problay want this

jstrat85
03-01-2005, 08:08 PM
hi there i was thinking about a hood like this but the only differences would be that grove in the middle of this hood "euro r hood" i want the slk groves on this with those two side scoops so the engeine can cool down! can you do this and how much do you want for it!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=4532084295&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Denlasoul
03-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
i would be intrested in this as well, my star is also gone. Hoiw much and how long would this take? I know there is other members with c43,c55s that would problay want this
I do have a spare piece without the emblem that could be used to make the mold. I was lucky to find a new piece with emblem for really cheap! :)

Dan Rotigel
03-02-2005, 06:32 AM
The time factor is highly dependant on how long it would take to get a group buy together and how long it would take to get a cover to me so i can take a mold.

I won't know how much untill I know how many buyers have signed up and I have the part in my hands to calculate material/cost.

I cannot/will not reproduce copywritten symbols, i.e. stars! Of course, what you do with the part after it is in your hands is your own business...

Dennis-You have a engine cover for the c43, correct? Does it fit the c55? If there is a demand, lets get a group buy together.

Cheers,
Dan Rotigel
Jack Glass Carbon Fiber

sleek_benzo
03-02-2005, 07:15 AM
oppps.... vehicle: 99 c280 sport

come on guys.. don't you want a carbon fiber cover!!!!

i'll take photos of it tonight.. damn.. i forgot to get part number also!!:(

Denlasoul
03-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Dan Rotigel

Dennis-You have a engine cover for the c43, correct? Does it fit the c55? If there is a demand, lets get a group buy together.
To my understanding, the engine cover will fit the C43, CLK55, and E55 (W202, W208, W210 respectively). I think they also fit the 430 engines of the same cars.

mayagman
03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
More than just the plastic cover, I'd be interested in the valve cover itself. From what I understand, it doesnt need to be a metallic piece, just a piece that can withstand engine heat. In addition, replacing the stock intake would definetly be a plus, maybe with something that mates up to the inlet in the front grille. These two things im definetly in the market for, a few other things like the bonnet/boot lid I would probably be in for too. Anything you make, I'll buy. (within reason)

Denlasoul
03-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by mayagman
it doesnt need to be a metallic piece, just a piece that can withstand engine heat.
You could also just cover the underside with some type of Thermowrap.

Dan Rotigel
03-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi all,

The survey is complete and the list of parts that will go into production by summer is on the new webpage. Always looking for new ideas though!

Dennis keeps teasing me about sending me a w202 hood-I'm looking at mid-summer for that project :cool:

Dan Rotigel
Jack Glass Carbon Fiber
http://www.people.iup.edu/hlwf/jackglass.html

Tump43
03-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Guys --

Let's get a group together. What I really want for the C43 is a CF hood and CF front fenders (these parts will work for any W202). That should even up the weight between front and back, vastly improving handling and we could even specify some flaring to accept wider front tires.

I see W202 fenders on eBay for $55.00 and I hope some one has an extra hood to lend to Dan Rotigel.

With the CF hood, however, I believe that I would want it to be built on an aluminum frame so we can still use our OE hinges, not worry about shattering the hood when closing it and not need hood pins. I am sure that if it the CF hood is a OE copy then we can simply install the OE hood pad.

Let me know!

Dan Rotigel
03-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Tump,

I'd be interested in making the fenders, but i'd have to have one in my hands before I give a quote for a group buy. Let me know if somebody has a spare fender they could send me so I could work up a quote-i can't wait to try out the 'group buy' section of the website :D

I have some ideas in mind for your hood. A aluminum frame really shouldn't be necessary, but small reinforcements might. If a CF hood "shatters", there was something seriously wrong with the design/materials, even though CF 'flexes' less than steel, it shouldn't just 'shatter'. That being said, I don't 'slam' my own steel hood.

cheers,
dan rotigel
jack glass carbon fiber

mayagman
03-18-2005, 01:41 PM
more intriguing than just OE fenders... good lord, get someone with widebody/rolled/flared fenders! Why pay a bajillion dollars for some pre-fabbed or custom widebody kit when we can source it within club202... in CF! If I snag this beater I'm looking at I can mothball my C for a few weeks and send you all the stock pieces you can handle.

!!!!!NJ Drive
03-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by mayagman
more intriguing than just OE fenders... good lord, get someone with widebody/rolled/flared fenders! Why pay a bajillion dollars for some pre-fabbed or custom widebody kit when we can source it within club202... in CF! If I snag this beater I'm looking at I can mothball my C for a few weeks and send you all the stock pieces you can handle. thats the spirit....give this man the member of the week award for such a sacrifice, for the greater good of the board:D

Dan Rotigel
03-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Mayagman-

Rockin! Some fenders would be excellent. If you guys want the rolled style, you'll have to send a pair to me that are exactly the shape you want-I won't be able to roll them once they are off the car.

Just priced out the airbox for the c43-its around 230 from the dealer. Anybody got a spare? I could give them a CF one at cost in exchange. Also, sleek_benzo, if you still are interested in that 280 cover, drop me a line here or from my webpage (see link in my sig).

cheers,
dan

Brabus
03-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Dan, so since you're making full fab pieces rather than just an overlay?

Dan Rotigel
03-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Brabus,

Absolutely. Overlay has its place when a customer wants a 'look' on a part that cannot be made from CF (somebody wanted CF rollbars for his slk!), but my parts are not overlays.

cheers,

dan

Renn 208
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Brabus,

Absolutely. Overlay has its place when a customer wants a 'look' on a part that cannot be made from CF (somebody wanted CF rollbars for his slk!), but my parts are not overlays.

cheers,

dan

Dan,

Will you be using a vacuum/autoclave process for your parts? or will these be closer to a fiberglass wet layup process?

mayagman
03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Well I dont have the beater, but its almost getting warm enough to roll my aprilia out of storage. I can start doing one piece at a time (ie: hood, fender, whatever) pretty soon. I need to start considering the shipping arrangements too... the only problem I forsee is the trunk, I kind of want to avoid things that will leave my interior exposed to the outside air. Lots of harsh stuff from aircraft exhaust flying overhead.

Also, front-left fender panel has a small crease about 2" long diagonally over the fender hump. Easily work-aroundable. The fenders are bone stock, not rolled, or flared. The hood is the same. I have my stock bumpers and skirts due to an unfortunate accident involving a sinkhole.

kauaiC36AMG
03-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Interested in cf air box (top only), engine cover w/ AMG raised and if possible cf cross over tube with raised 3.6. Have a 1997 C36 AMG. Thought I'd just respond just in case other are interested in same parts.

Dan Rotigel
03-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Renn-

I'd friggen love to have an autoclave! For now im using vaccum with a post-cure in an oven on stressed parts. With the epoxies i'm using, this should get me close to what a clave would.

My dream setup is doing hoods with vaccum infusion-but we'll see what Jack Glass can afford after I get the current product list done.

Maya-Let me know when you can start sending parts-I'll work up quotes and start group buys on my page so i can start pressing fiber asap :D

Kauai- What is the engine designation for the C36? I'm working on a cover/airbox for the m113 c43, it might fit yours. give my aloha to pele-i miss her bad

cheers,
dan

Renn 208
03-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Kauai- What is the engine designation for the C36? I'm working on a cover/airbox for the m113 c43, it might fit yours.

cheers,
dan

Dan, the C36 (as well as earlier C280s) use the M104 Inline 6 engine, and a different airbox design from the m113s. That should be a different product altogether.

And thanks for the info on your mfg process. I'll venture that people will be seeing some very high-quality parts from you in the near future.

MrSpace
03-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Renn-

I'd friggen love to have an autoclave! For now im using vaccum with a post-cure in an oven on stressed parts. With the epoxies i'm using, this should get me close to what a clave would.

My dream setup is doing hoods with vaccum infusion-but we'll see what Jack Glass can afford after I get the current product list done.

I did not follow the thread, but we are also using this for our carbon fiber parts.

Altough for now no time to do automotive parts, we're doing a carbon fiber wheelchair.

It's great to have someone that is willing to make parts for the W202!

Etienne

MrSpace
03-21-2005, 04:07 PM
which resins are you using?

we are using miapoxy eposy resins and they rock!

Etienne

kauaiC36AMG
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Renn-

Kauai- What is the engine designation for the C36? I'm working on a cover/airbox for the m113 c43, it might fit yours. give my aloha to pele-i miss her bad

cheers,
dan :bunny:

Engine is 104. Inline 6 - cylinder. U can find a good photo at: www.geocities.com/c36sportsedan/enginedrivetrain.htm
This will give you an idea what the engine it looks like. The C43 is a V8, so it wouldn't work.

Aloha ....

benzdude280
03-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Hey Dan,

You ever been to Steubenville Ohio?

Cheers

Cschilderink
03-22-2005, 10:17 AM
What is this air box that everyone keeps talking about?

Dr. ///AMG
03-22-2005, 01:07 PM
me wants airbox cover whatever it's called, in CF for my '00 E55 :)

Renn 208
03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Cschilderink
What is this air box that everyone keeps talking about?

It's the plastic box that contains your air filter and cleans the air before it gets to your engine.

knvs
03-22-2005, 02:12 PM
im interested in a cf air box for a C43 too.

Dan Rotigel
03-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Benzdude-

Yeah, I think i've been to stubenville once or twice actually, for a fair. Why?

Dr. AMG, KVNS- would either one of you be interested in trading the top cover of your old airbox for a CF one from me at cost? I'm in need of a plug to take a mold from, and don't want to pay MBZ for one.

cheers,
dan

MrSpace
03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
I could send you my airbox, I'm putting a cone air filter in it. but it's for C230k

Etienne

Dr. ///AMG
03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Benzdude-

Dr. AMG, KVNS- would either one of you be interested in trading the top cover of your old airbox for a CF one from me at cost? I'm in need of a plug to take a mold from, and don't want to pay MBZ for one.

cheers,
dan
If "cost" means free, then why not. But won't I need it to properly run my car? I haven't taken it off so I have no idea how the hell it looks in there. My car will be at the bodyshop for a good week next week or so, so if you want, that would be then. I would however (until I check your references w/ mbshop.com) requiere a deposit from you, which would be refunded upon return receipt of my air box, just in case. Simple business transaction. I got screwed too many times to trust anyone :) Anyway, let's talk. Email me mikeone@ charter.net

mayagman
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey. Drop me a reply on this thread or an e-mail if you seriously want these parts to strike molds from. I dont care about deposits or anything. As I said, fenders, bumpers, hood are game, doors and trunk will require a little coaxing.

Edit:
-Oh yeah, and miscellaneous interior parts/gizmos/engine pieces/etc are all game too. Anything I can take off in a day and have back a month later is fine.

benzdude280
03-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Dan,

Just wondering because that's where I went to school. I go back there to visit my family. I'm actually interested in a CF hood for a W202.

Dan Rotigel
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Maya-

Yes! I am very interested in a supply of C class parts, but don't think I'll be ready for them untill late July as I have already announced a product list up to that point. Can you wait untill then? If not, I imagine we can work something out so let me know. What model is your C?

Dr///Amg-

The car will run w/out the airbox, but you should not as air might get past the air filter or otherwise goof the engine controls. "At Cost" means the cost of materials, no labor costs or profit to me.

Mr. Space-

Drop me an e-mail at hlwf@iup.edu, i might be interested in your airbox.

kauaiC36AMG

I'll keep a look out for a m104 airbox.

cheers,
dan Rotigel

knvs
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Benzdude-

cheers,
dan

Dan i'd be interested, but the thing is that I need my air box. I don't have one to spare, and my C43 is my everyday car. email me at djkev28@sbcglobal.net and maybe we can work something out. I may be storing the car for a while so I may be able to loan you mine in a month or two.

SLAMMED_C
03-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I will have my stock airbox.. actually entire intake from back of supercharger to the airbox!! to sell or donate to the cause if you are interested.. 1999 C230 Kompressor.. but not for a week or two, still making my custom intake for my car.. should be installing it next week.

and I have the crossover tube for the intake on a M104 (inline 6) if anyone is interested.. perfect condition.. never used.

Dr. ///AMG
03-25-2005, 09:12 PM
ok Dan be getting my E55 box. Just letting you guys know. :)

kauaiC36AMG
03-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
I will have my stock airbox.. actually entire intake from back of supercharger to the airbox!! to sell or donate to the cause if you are interested.. 1999 C230 Kompressor.. but not for a week or two, still making my custom intake for my car.. should be installing it next week.

and I have the crossover tube for the intake on a M104 (inline 6) if anyone is interested.. perfect condition.. never used. :cool:

Do you know if that cross over tube is the same for a 97 C36? The plastic screw holes on mine have cracked. Made a stainless steel bracket to wrap around for reinforcement. Might be interested in it if it's the same. Hope that Dan can make a carbon fiber one as a replacement, would look awesome.....

SLAMMED_C
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Do you know if that cross over tube is the same for a 97 C36? The plastic screw holes on mine have cracked. Made a stainless steel bracket to wrap around for reinforcement. Might be interested in it if it's the same. Hope that Dan can make a carbon fiber one as a replacement, would look awesome.....

Im pretty sure the C36 one is the same except for the fact it says 'C36" on the amg piece. the one I have for a regular M104 motor says nothing on the crossover.

jnolte
03-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
Im pretty sure the C36 one is the same except for the fact it says 'C36" on the amg piece. the one I have for a regular M104 motor says nothing on the crossover.

The AMG one is diffrent, bigger for more air flow...

SLAMMED_C
03-26-2005, 03:13 PM
he AMG one is diffrent, bigger for more air flow..
bigger by very much?..
oh well.. so it will only work properly on the M104 non amg motors..

mayagman
03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
lol, im in no rush to tear my car apart. Just let me know when you need the parts. Not a big deal at all. This gives me time to get my beater sorted out.

Edit: P.S. Model's in the sig ^^;

Dan Rotigel
03-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Maya-good deal! I'll let you know. Saw the sig after I send the message...d'oh!

Slammed-drop me a note on my e-mail when you have the system off of your car, I might be interested.

Dr. AMG- I just replied to your e-mail.

Kvns-thanks for the offer man, Dr. AMG is sending me the airbox top.

cheers,

Dan Rotigel

jstrat85
03-28-2005, 05:19 PM
are they going to make a carbon fiber motor cover for the 1996 4cyl? if so how much for it!

Denlasoul
03-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jstrat85
are they going to make a carbon fiber motor cover for the 1996 4cyl? if so how much for it!

I won't know how much untill I know how many buyers have signed up and I have the part in my hands to calculate material/cost.

Dan Rotigel
03-30-2005, 09:44 AM
jstrat-

drop me an e-mail if you'd like to set up a group buy for a 4 cylinder engine cover. i'm doing some testing next week of materials for under-hood tempretures. if they work out well i'm sure i could put together a cover for you.

cheers,
dan

JDoggery
03-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by MrSpace
I could send you my airbox, I'm putting a cone air filter in it. but it's for C230k

Etienne

I second this.

kauaiC36AMG
05-10-2005, 07:32 PM
jstrat-

drop me an e-mail if you'd like to set up a group buy for a 4 cylinder engine cover. i'm doing some testing next week of materials for under-hood tempretures. if they work out well i'm sure i could put together a cover for you.

cheers,
dan :bunny:

Hi, Dan...any luck with a C36 air box cover yet? Haven't kept track of what's going on. Sure would look good under my hood in carbon fiber..waiting patiently.....

Aloha

swank
05-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by kauaiC36AMG
:cool:

Yea they are notorious for breaking. I dont have a single clip left on mine so its just got that red paste and a few jerry rigged things ive done keeping it in place. It would be nice to get something aluminum and heat resistant or carbon fiber, painted etc, anything but the plain jane black. If this is the same intake project i remember seeing i am VERY much interested in finding out more and purchasing it also. I just dont have the time anymore to do anything that nice. You know what they say.. "work before play".

Ashkan's C280
05-21-2005, 10:32 PM
any chance engine parts for c280 i6 will be made?

98c43amg
06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
yo, your FormMail.exe CGI program is broke on your website. What I would have sent you was:

Do you do Silver Carbon Fiber? (sorry if someone asked already and it was answered). Otherwise, I believe it can be painted... Would you recommend it?

I'm wondering about getting a CF hood and maybe CF fenders or trunk. What would each piece cost and how much weight would they save over the steel pieces.

..OH, almost forgot. 1998 C43 AMG.

Thanx,
Steve

(you can either post here or PM me)

jnolte
03-16-2006, 04:36 PM
So what ever happend to this guy? And all this work he said he was going to do?

Ashkan's C280
03-16-2006, 04:51 PM
did anyone actually get stuff from him?

kauaiC36AMG
03-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Carbon fiber intake box, cross-over tube, engine covers would be nice mod but never heard anything after last contact. Guess he just abandoned the idea. Anybody hear anything else.....

Ashkan's C280
03-17-2006, 11:18 AM
he got a write up as member of the month too... lol, but would agree cf would be nice, would there be any weight savings compared to the plastic? better to keep out heat? or just for looks?

tpliquid
03-18-2006, 02:59 PM
looking for a CF airbox heat shield

Highhpta
03-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I would be down for a cf engine cover for my c280 V6, along with cf intake if possible.

Ashkan's C280
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I would like a cf ram intake system for an i6, engine cover, tubing, and hood/trunk, and maybe even fenders, depending if it had nice vents, but is this guy long gone or what? was this real cf the miltary kind with the many layers? or just market cf?

SDR
03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Can't believe I read through this whole dang thread only to see that he hasn't replied in a year. Why do so many people pop up with these grand plans and then disappear?
BTW: I'm gonna build turbo's for all 202's. They'll be almost free and will add 200 RWHP. Really. Just tell me if you're interested and then I'll start building ;)

Ashkan's C280
03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
i'll take 7

Renn 208
03-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SDR
Can't believe I read through this whole dang thread only to see that he hasn't replied in a year. Why do so many people pop up with these grand plans and then disappear?
BTW: I'm gonna build turbo's for all 202's. They'll be almost free and will add 200 RWHP. Really. Just tell me if you're interested and then I'll start building ;)

Sadly, that's the Internet for you...super projects disappear all the time, people quote gains that aren't real, people make up "facts" and so on. Put on a healthy dose of skepecisim and you start to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Lensolo
10-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by SDR

Damnit. I just did the same thing and felt very cheated at the end!! Just like watching "Mulholland Dr."

rollinrealbig
10-23-2006, 08:08 PM
I want CF pistons and rims so I can shave off all that extra weight!!!

Lensolo
10-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
I want CF pistons and rims so I can shave off all that extra weight!!!

CF pistons.. Hmm.. maybe not, but the rims will probably come out in late '08. The company I work for is getting closer to developing them. But, don't get too excited, because they probably won't be made for passenger cars. Probably.
There is a company right now making carbon fiber wheels for semi-truck trailers. But, they're then painted with a silver erosion coating. COOOOL!

OCKlasse
10-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Lensolo
CF pistons.. Hmm.. maybe not, but the rims will probably come out in late '08. The company I work for is getting closer to developing them. But, don't get too excited, because they probably won't be made for passenger cars. Probably.
There is a company right now making carbon fiber wheels for semi-truck trailers. But, they're then painted with a silver erosion coating. COOOOL!

I believe there is a guy in Hawaii who makes CF wheels...I will find the link later...

kevinzorz
10-25-2006, 02:37 PM
what happened to that other guy who wanted to make CF for everyone?

Dr. ///AMG
10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
In the meantime, good thing I didn't wait for that CF airbox...

http://thegodfatherinc.com/rotm/DSCF0516.jpg

I got it used from evosport. It was made by rbtech.

Lensolo
10-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr. ///AMG
In the meantime, good thing I didn't wait for that CF airbox...

http://thegodfatherinc.com/rotm/DSCF0516.jpg

I got it used from evosport. It was made by rbtech.

Very nice! Any gains with this box on your car?

Dr. ///AMG
10-25-2006, 08:09 PM
nada.

97C28O
10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
He gains weight! :D

ncd
10-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by 97C28O
He gains weight! :D
hah.. I wouldnt of minded a cf airbox .. even just a lid for it to kept her != FATTY, and a CF front engine cover and a "Kompressor lid"

ajacks76
11-12-2006, 11:30 PM
just came across a vendor that has amg replicas for the w202 models, amg designs. retailing for USD 500 excluding shipping & handling in malaysia