PDA

View Full Version : C220 1st or 2nd gear start.??

Perinchery
03-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Gents,

My 96 C220 always starts in the first gear...I can feel three more gear shifts after the car is in motion....I heard that the C220 always starts in the 2nd gear...is this true..?? If so wots wrong with my car...
The gear shifts are not smooth and the car shifts with a jerk....
Pls advise...

Renn 208
03-01-2005, 03:07 PM
I can't address whether or not your car typically starts in 2nd gear, but as for the jerks..are they very strong jerks? do they occur only on particualr shifts (e.g. 2-3) or on every shift?

Perinchery
03-01-2005, 03:14 PM
The shifts are strong on all the gears....on the upshifts...
When I brake I do not feel the trans downshifting at all...its only when I accelerate and the trans upshifts...

96 C220

fastmayte
03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
my 95 c220 always starts in first. i've seen 190 2.6's start in secondn not the 2.3's. maybe it's the same for the 220/280? i think 220's got 4spd trannys. i'm pretty sure mine starts in 1'st

mines' also been jerking., did a fluid change almost 2 years ago. a lil better. unsure of prob.

jnolte
03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
i am not sure if the c220 is supposed to start in 2nd or not, this could be true beacuse if you start in second the car is going to have more traction due to the ratio. This is y the 5 spd elect trannys have the W/S selector switch next to the shifter. W (winter) is for wet or icy condition so it starts in second so you dont spin the tires. S (summer) starts in 1st for a faster 1st gear start.

as for the uncomforting shift. i am unsure, my C36 had smooth shifts but my c43 has more ubrupt shifts, they are strong but change, this is due to the Smart shift module that learns your driving style

stox
03-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by fastmayte
i've seen 190 2.6's start in secondn not the 2.3's.

I can tell you that the '86 190E 2.3's started in 2nd unless set by the kickdown switch or the shifter. So did my '74 280.

fastmayte
03-01-2005, 07:10 PM
oh really. my friend had a 89 or something. some 190 2.3. he also had a 2.6. his 2.6 started in second, 2.3 in first. weird

mr. gatsbury
03-02-2005, 08:36 AM
[i] as for the uncomforting shift. i am unsure, my C36 had smooth shifts but my c43 has more ubrupt shifts, they are strong but change, this is due to the Smart shift module that learns your driving style [/B]

not sure how it is with mercedes but with many other cars the tranny only adjusts with the initial break-in period (first couple thousand miles) after that I'm not sure if it can be reset but I know with honda, nissan etc. the smart shift just adjust within the first couple thousand miles. My trans shifts a little strong when up shifting. Haven't had the fluid checked though...

jnolte
03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
not sure how it is with mercedes but with many other cars the tranny only adjusts with the initial break-in period (first couple thousand miles) after that I'm not sure if it can be reset but I know with honda, nissan etc. the smart shift just adjust within the first couple thousand miles. My trans shifts a little strong when up shifting. Haven't had the fluid checked though...

it seemt he mercedes tranny is constanly trying to learn my driving style. If i open her up on a few runs the tranny will then shift more aggresive. If i drive like a old man, the tranny shifts earlier like say at 2k instead of 3 or 4 k

Perinchery
03-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Would adjusting the modulator do any good for the hard shifts...would it make it any softer....Also would a transmission fluid change do any good...?? Apart fm draining the trans I believe the torque converter should also be drained right...
If so how does one refill it..??

sleek_benzo
03-02-2005, 12:16 PM
i have 5 speed .. W/S switch.. ASR.. sport suspension..

is that good or bad?

i need C55 motor :D

jnolte
03-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Perinchery
Would adjusting the modulator do any good for the hard shifts...would it make it any softer....Also would a transmission fluid change do any good...?? Apart fm draining the trans I believe the torque converter should also be drained right...
If so how does one refill it..??

the 1994-1996 trannys are vaccum operated and do not learn the driving style, they are 4 spds.

Yes trannsmission service is reccomended. You also need to change the tranny filter. You refill it through the dip stick spout. use MB ATF fluid!

fastmayte
03-02-2005, 06:49 PM
true, if u drive around 2k, tranny don't really jerk. especailly after it's warmed up.

Perinchery
03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Believe the torque convertor does not sit inside the tranny box or does it...I mean does one hv to drop the pan to drain the torque convertor? ..If not, and if the torque convertor is drained will filling the tranny thru' the dipstick also fill the torque convertor?
I had got the filter and the oil in the tranny changed, around 5000 miles back....Not sure whether the mechanic who did it drained the torque convertor....and he is not around any more for me to chk with him....
Can I drain the torque converter without dropping the pan and refill it thru' the dip stick?

davis449
03-04-2005, 09:51 AM
I had really hard upshifts for a long time and I finally took it to the dealer in August 2004 to get it looked out. Turns out it was a valve in the tranny that needed to be adjusted (and eventually replaced). Now my 95 C 280 shift silky smooth, except for when I romp on it at high speed, but that's to be expected. I would have it looked at and see if that's the problem.