PDA

View Full Version : C43 needs new valve job at 70k?!?!

knvs
03-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Well like some of u know already, my car needs a new valve job done at only 70k miles. Thought the car would last a lot longer than it has. Basically there is no compression in one of the cylinders due to a bent valve and the shop reccomends to do a whole valve job, both sides left and right. ITs gonna cost me $5k :( . Luckly I bought the car with an exteded warranty so they should cover most of it.

My question is, does anyone know what would ahve casued something like this. bending a valve or some sort. Also there was no indication or warning that there was anythign wrong. All the maintanence have been up to date. We drove the car to napa and back (bout 2 hours total) with no problem There were 4 of us in the car too. Got something to eat and then it just went bad.

pnsji
03-02-2005, 04:10 PM
bent valve? did you overrev it? Was it overheated?

This is not a common problem.

knvs
03-02-2005, 04:15 PM
I never overreved it. I mean car is stock and i do drive it somewhat hard, but i havent hit the limiter yet and it shifts smoothly all the way up to 5.8k revs. But i haven't held it in gear n reved the crap out of it if thats what u're asking. Just really bummed. I've been without my car now for almost 2 weeks waiting for the stupid warranty people to give the shop an answer if they're gonna cover it.

pnsji
03-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Overrev can happend when rev limiter can't handle it. For example you are cruising at 75 mph at 4th gear and suddenly you shift down(manualy) to 2nd gear.

That way, you will definitely fry the valve.

knvs
03-02-2005, 04:27 PM
well I haven't downshifted like that. I ususally leave the car in D n not really play with the transmission. My dad actually drove the car that day and he was very tame the whole day. No hard romps or what not just really cruising speed. What really puzzles me is that it just happend all of a sudden. Could this be from wear and tear or just abuse? i mean from it driving perfectly normal for 2 hours to just limping within 40 mins is kinda strange. BTW I really appreciate your imput. Also when I get my car back im thinking of lowering it and noticed your offering that service. I'll be contacting u about intalling them later on when i get shocks if u don't mind. :)

jnenad16
03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
has anyone messed with cam timing on your car?

knvs
03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
not to my knowledge.

knvs
03-10-2005, 08:48 AM
ok well i just found out that warranty people are not gonna cover it becasue there is lack of service history which is bs!!!:mad: The car was serviced at 52k and then I bought the car at 63k and at the time the FSS said there was still 10k miles to go til next servicing. So i dind't bring it in til 72k. Now I did do an oil change myself at 65k, but there is no record of it bc I did it myself. Also check the manual for the car and it states that the FSS is FLEXABLE, anywhere from 10k-20k. So I'm gonna go birth to the warranty people that there was not neglagence on my part as far as maintanence. Stupid warranty people.

Whis me luck in getting some money out of them

Denlasoul
03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Can't you get a Service History from the place you brought it in? I would think at a dealer they should have those available from their computing system.

knvs
03-10-2005, 10:19 AM
I have all the records. I have all the service records from the previous owner too. The reason why they are denying my claim is because there is no service records between 52k and 72k. Which there was none bc the FSS did not indicate that I needed service done during that time period. I did change oil myself at 65k so I have no record of that bc i did it myself. so basically I have to show them proof of an oil change around 60k which i cant :mad: . I'm thinking of just forging one and sending it to them I"m so mad. :mad: manual states that service can range from 10k-20k and it was only one time that it was about 20k

knvs
03-22-2005, 02:10 PM
ok..... so its been 4 weeks now and I still don't have my car!!! Now my service advisor told me the warranty people are only covering $2200, but I talk to the warranty people and they have told me that they are covering $3800. so thats a difference of $1600. Is the dealership trying to pocket the difference? I'm going to have all the heads redone ($4400-4800) and the warranty is only covering the side that is broken. So what can I do so that I get the full coverage that the warranty people told me and not get raped by the dealer? Should I have the dealer give me a written estimate to do redo all the heads and then bring up the fact that the warranty is covering more than what he says?

LV202
03-24-2005, 10:31 PM
This is really strange.

Did the dealer tell you that you needed all this done? Who told you this?

What happened when the car died?

Smells like BS.....