PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bolts Siezed? Stuck?

ricerokets4life
03-05-2005, 07:35 AM
weird.. i was trying to rotate my wheels today and I got all three wheels except the rear passenger side one off. I used a torque wrench, breaker bar, and even an impact wrench to try to move the bolts but they didn't budge one bit.

the last time I touched the bolts was when I first put the wheels on back in September -- they were torqued properly and everything was fine

so, how else can I get my bolts off? I already ordered replacements because I don't think the ones that are on are going to be able to be salvaged.

JRE320
03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Spray some w40 and wait for a while.

nokia8860
03-05-2005, 01:43 PM
heat up the bolt first before undoing it.

ricerokets4life
03-05-2005, 03:07 PM
deleted

ricerokets4life
03-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by JRE320

where is the best place to spray the wd40? between the hub and the wheel? or through the front of the wheel by the heads of the bolts?

Originally posted by Nokia8860
heat up the bolt first before undoing it.

heat gun? drive the car around?

CKlasse
03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life

heat gun? drive the car around?

Torch :)

ricerokets4life
03-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Torch :)

u serious??

nokia8860
03-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
u serious??

yep

jnenad16
03-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
thats how I remove seized bolts and it works.

nenad

Dr.Drew
03-06-2005, 02:48 PM
you should only use a torch on steel wheels, if you have aluminum rims I would sugest getting some proper penitrating lube and putting it in the bolt holes and leting it sit overnight be carefull some penitrating lube could possibley eat away at the paint, I would not recomend using a torch on aluminum rims i would think it would burn the paint and weeken the aluminum if not melt it, what kinda impact gun did u use, just curious because mine has enough force to snap the bolts right off if they dont come in what lenght breaker bar did u use, I had bolts once on a tractor that where stuck the only way off was to heat them, someone cross threaded them.

some one correct me if am wrong about torch and aluminum rims.

speedybenz
03-07-2005, 09:18 AM
To help loosen the bolt take a flat drive punch or other item that you can put on the lug nut head and strike it hard several times with a 3 to 4 pound hammer. This will help break down and loosen the corrosion between the threads.

Jeff

CKlasse
03-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
To help loosen the bolt take a flat drive punch or other item that you can put on the lug nut head and strike it hard several times with a 3 to 4 pound hammer. This will help break down and loosen the corrosion between the threads.

Jeff

Off the topic, how's it going Jeff? I hope you received the goods.

ricerokets4life
03-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Drew
you should only use a torch on steel wheels, if you have aluminum rims I would sugest getting some proper penitrating lube and putting it in the bolt holes and leting it sit overnight be carefull some penitrating lube could possibley eat away at the paint, I would not recomend using a torch on aluminum rims i would think it would burn the paint and weeken the aluminum if not melt it, what kinda impact gun did u use, just curious because mine has enough force to snap the bolts right off if they dont come in what lenght breaker bar did u use, I had bolts once on a tractor that where stuck the only way off was to heat them, someone cross threaded them.

some one correct me if am wrong about torch and aluminum rims.

i went to a car garage and they used whatever impact wrench they had connected to an air compressor

my breaker bar was about 2.5 feet long and i was standing on the end at one point but to no avail

if the bolts break off like you said, would they break off inside the hub?

NYC202
03-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I just put new AMG's on my car and came across the same problem. All ten bolts in the front where seized. My impact gun moved them, but it was a slow process. I put new lug bolts on and they went in slow, as if the threads were ruined?

I came to the conclusion that my previous set of rims must have been thinner at the bolt entries therefore leting the bolts go to far? But that is just a guess.
Has anyone else experienced this??
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/788000-788999/788119_5_full.jpg

I was going to go 18 but NewYork potholes and smooth roads kept me at 17.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/788000-788999/788119_4_full.jpg

NYC202
03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Hey whats up with the pics? These are not the pics asociated with the http's. Do they need time to reset? Paste the address from the properties of the pics and you'll see what I mean.

They updated, I guess it takes a few hours to update.