PDA

View Full Version : locking/unlocking/trunk distance...

IamJanuar
03-07-2005, 04:19 PM
What is the furthest distance you can go from your car for you to be able to lock/unlock/open the trunk ???

I think there is something wrong with my keys.... sometimes 3m sometimes 5m....
:confused:

audiophile
03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
not very far for me either. it' s normal Infrared doesn't travel very far as compared to a RF remote.;)

alphanumeric
03-07-2005, 04:34 PM
mine does not go that far either.. even unlocking or locking my doors.. maybe 8ft at the most.

Eiknujrac
03-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Actually the keys are RF too, at least my 98 is, just a really low range RF I guess.

Kswiss
03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
The secret is to put the key under your chin and then unlock or lock. I used to only be 5 feet away till the alarm doesn't work. With the key under the chin, i can be at least 20.
One thing someone told me was that the "waves" get transmitted to your brain when you do that but i'm sure it's a bunch of bs.

Denlasoul
03-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Kswiss
The secret is to put the key under your chin and then unlock or lock. I used to only be 5 feet away till the alarm doesn't work. With the key under the chin, i can be at least 20.
One thing someone told me was that the "waves" get transmitted to your brain when you do that but i'm sure it's a bunch of bs.
No its for real. I cannot explain it, but something along the lines that yuo head serves as an antenna. I never used to believe either until one day I tried it out. I kept walking away from my car (had a Viper alarm) until I could not use my remote anymore. I stood there and tried multiple times and it never activated. Then in the same spot, I put the remote to the bottom of my chin and it freaking worked!!! Must be the metal plate in my head. ;)

oh yeah, as for my 43, I can use my remote up to about 10 feet away.

Eiknujrac
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Oh I've used the "body antenna" method plenty of times. Friends always ask me what the hell im doing jamming my remote under my chin. Then I have to take 10 minutes to explain to them i get bad range etc....

But I'm sure things like cell phones put worse radio waves through your head.

IamJanuar
03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Kswiss

Yes thats a pretty old I trick I learned a couple of years ago....
Unfortunately that also dont work in my case...
Actually I get a better reach if I point my keys towards my car.
Hope something can be done about this matter sigh :bored:

mr. gatsbury
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
lol. That's crazy shit. Don't go messing up your brain:D

Cschilderink
03-08-2005, 04:33 AM
I have heard that if you hold your key up to your chin that it uses your body as an antenna and you can acheive a greater wireless range. Then again thats what I was told by an Acura dealer for a 2004 TSX so I don't know if that will work for your keys.

sleek_benzo
03-08-2005, 07:19 AM
"chin" trick does work.. i think for aftermarket alarms only though..

range: 5-10 feet max

69chevelle
03-08-2005, 09:39 AM
My friend lost his remote for his 99 clk. The dealer gave him a newer updated key remote like on the 2004's. That remote works real good!

Sometimes when I stand behind the vehicle near the trunk area, my remote wont work. I guess the sensors are on the door handles. My Ford Excursion remote works almost 5 fricken houses away...and while I'm inside the house with the windows shut!! I wish my Mercedes remote would do this :bored:

1SIKBNZ
03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
new smart keys go alot further out....

coolin
03-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I have the new smart key. Range is 10 feet or so.

Really makes you consider the usefulness of the panic button.

IamJanuar
03-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Hemm.... I am taking an extra attention to my keys nowadays.
Does the panic button buzz when you press them itentionally?
I pressed and presseddddddd the panic button while the car is locked and unlocked.......................................... ...NUTHING.....
Arghhhhh I will get my ass raped anytime soon!!!

chulomex3
03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
The human body acts like a good resonator...not an efficient one but good enough to get you a few more feet from your remote. And no it will not harm your brain. The EM Immisions are very low on car remotes...Federal Law.

!!!!!NJ Drive
03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
is really real....i dont want to look like an ass standing in parking lot trying to unlock my car...i thought it was jus some big joke but i'm somewhat convinced enough to try it

Eiknujrac
03-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
is really real....i dont want to look like an ass standing in parking lot trying to unlock my car...i thought it was jus some big joke but i'm somewhat convinced enough to try it

I thought exactly the same thing until I actually tried it. It's not amazing by any means but it does get you a little extra juice out of the remote when your JUST out of range. It's pretty cool, try it. (at home if you want, so no one sees you :) )