PDA

View Full Version : Flex Disc Risk

coolin
03-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey everyone,

So, I was over at a local shop for an alignment and they noticed that my front flex disk is on its way out. Now, I looked at it and it doesn't appear too bad. There is a small lip that surrounds the heads of the bolts, which is gone, but the disk does not appear to be loose.

I also have not noticed any vibration while driving or a delay when shifting into reverse or drive.

Now, I've never been to this shop before, so I don't really know if these guys are hosing me on how serious a problem this is. The one guy there was saying that it's really dangerous. Something about the driveshaft flying around like crazy and damaging the transmission when it goes. Is this true?

Also, anyone ever changed one of these themselves? Of course, the one that had to go was the front one. The mechanic estimated 3-4 hours @ $80 plus $190 for the OEM part.

misterblack
03-08-2005, 10:06 AM
I changed that part on my bimmer not too long ago. Took me about 3 hours to do it.
Takes some time because you have to move eveything that's in the way of the drive shaft....like the exhaust system.

The best way to tell if you need a new part is if you can see cracks in the rubber. Eventualy they get worse and the whole peice will start to fall apart. By then you will get some vibration.

If you have an avarage mechanical skill level.....you can do this job yourself.....if not.....pay a mechanic to do it.

manny
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I would change it asap.
Worst thing that can happen, front of the driveshaft drops................you'll be pole vaulting into the ditch. ;)

Metromoto202
03-08-2005, 03:57 PM
That doesn't sound too bad. Our labor rate is 104$, consider yourself lucky

jnenad16
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM
the replacement time is about 2-3hrs and the part you can get for about $70 or less(sasch which is OEM) at any online store that sells mb parts.

nenad

benzaddict
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
MB book time to replace a front flexdisc is 1.4 hrs. If the flexdisc is starting to crack, which is very normal, I would replace it soon. I have seen a few cars where the flexdisc has broken, the driveshaft has rattled around in the tunnel and damaged the transmission tunnel and broken the rear of the transmission, but the worst is that the SRS control unit/sensor is mounted as we all know right above the trans tunnel and deploys the airbags when the driveshaft comes loose! Not a comforting feeling I'm sure at 60mph.

Take it to a different shop to have it inspected if you don't trust them. A second opinion never hurts.

estrellajon
03-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Metromoto202
That doesn't sound too bad. Our labor rate is 104$, consider yourself lucky

Hmmm, must be American Service Center