PDA

View Full Version : Radio stops working

SpEeDy230
03-12-2005, 09:32 PM
One day going home from work my radio just stopped working. The Deck would come on but no sound would come out. I checked all the fuses in the box and the factory amp. When I played around with the amp it started to work. But a day later it stopped working totally. My car has the factory BOSE system. What do you guys think whats wrong? Could it be my amp? Any feed back is appreciated. Tried search but came out with nothing.

jnenad16
03-12-2005, 10:53 PM
it might be the amp, but also check your alternator output voltage. I had a similar problem in my C280 where the head unit would keep turning off after I started the car, and it turned out my alternator was pumping out 16V. I replaced it and everything was fine.

nenad

davis449
03-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a Bose amp issue to me. I've been through hell with a Bose system before and so I've done a lot of research on what problems tend to occure with Bose systems. I find it odd that I haven't seen many complaints about Mercedes Bose problems either on this board or Mbworld.org. I used to belong over at Maxima.org when I had my 93 SE and I had to get both a head unit repair and replace the rear 6X9's (amp problem on those requires you rip them out and get a refurbed pair back from Nissan) . Pain in the ass! There are other options than the dealer though. Check out http://www.davescoolstuff.com/, he has new Bose amps, not rebuilt ones. I sent my Maxima's deck to him to be fixed and I had NO problems with him at all and the deck worked beautifully after we was done with it. Fast turn arond time too. Also check out http://www.carstereohelp.com/mercedes.htm, this has could be a helpful site too.

SLAMMED_C
03-13-2005, 02:36 PM
speedy: what year is your car?.. if 99 and newer its fiber optic. so Id say you have a problem either with the fiber optics or the bose amp itself.
any telephone installed in the car (factory phone)?
if 98 and older.. then most likely the amp itself or a loose connector? (since you say you moved the connector around and it started to work again)

SpEeDy230
03-13-2005, 10:02 PM
jnenad - The headunit stays on but no sounds come out.

Davis - Ill give them a look, thanks for the link

SlammedC - My car is a 98 im starting to think its my amp. I tried to play with the connection again but came up with nothnig

davis449
03-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Just glad I could help.:)