PDA

View Full Version : Cluster Questions

Kswiss
03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
If I take out my cluster to add chrome rings, will I have to have the cluster "flashed" after reconnecting since it will have to be disconnected? Do i disconnect the battery before doing this?
Also, am i able to replace just the needles on my non sport cluster to the sport needles while keeping the gauges black? I think this will require recalibrating.. if it does, am i able to switch the sport gauges w/ needles with my black one's without having any trouble? Thanks guys

nokia8860
03-14-2005, 06:09 PM
It is best to disconnect the negitive terminal of the battery before doing any electronic work. Its just a good habit to do.

You will not need to have your instrument cluster flashed when you reconnect it. Just plug it back in and go.

You can replace the needles. Visit on of the numerous sites that sale replacement cluster faces. They have instructions on how to remove the needle. Basically, you can use some plastic spoons to pop out the needle.

If you note the placement of the needles prior to taking it apart and intalling it back in the correct location you will not need to do anything further.

*Tip: After you put the needles in place do not put on the front cover yet. Connect the cluster to your car and start it up. See if the gas/coolant/speed/rpm are correct. If not note the difference then pull the needle off and readjust. It makes it easier this way if you have to adjust.

Kswiss
03-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Thank you...
If i were to switch the gauges and needles, same thing? plug and play? I think it would be much easier doing this then just doing the needles?

nokia8860
03-14-2005, 07:03 PM
The gauges are held on by adhesives. Take care while removing them. The adhesive is not that strong but strong enough that it will try to stay behind and take part of the backing of the gauge with it. If this happens you will notice hotspots in the illumination at night. This is because the adhesive is not longer uniform.

So if you choose to do this make sure you take your time removing it. If you notice adhesive coming apart stop and rethink your approach before moving forward.

Kswiss
03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
odale , gracias

Kswiss
03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
http://white-gauge-faces.com/kmteil1.AVI
In that video, the guy does something to the needles prior to taking them out with the spoon. What's he doing to the needles with his hands first and then what's he doing with the plyers after?

http://www.white-face-gauges.com/0km.AVI
In that video he doesn't use spoons, plyers, or hands when taking them out. Looks like he just simply takes them out by going the opposite direction??
So i guess my questions are, how do you know which one i'm supposed to use plyers/spoons with and which one to just twist out? Thanks Nokia

Kswiss
03-16-2005, 02:42 PM
nm got it...use the spoons lol...

jstrat85
03-24-2005, 08:04 PM
make shure that when you remove your cluster DONT PLACE IT ON ANYTHING THATS MADE OUT OF METAL!!!! there are magnets in the cluster that when it touches metal they repel!! and it fucks up your cluster nedel! thats wheat happened to me!:mad:

SLAMMED_C
03-25-2005, 08:50 PM
you do not need to worry about anything when removing the cluster from your car.. no data will be lost.. its all stored in the cluster and will not be lost.

and disconnecting the battery is a good habit to get into.. dont forget to wait a few mins too after disconnecting.. let any charges disapate. if you really want to get crazy.. you should also ground oyurself when touching any electronics.. like control modules.. dont touch the contacts with your fingers.. you could actually damage electronic components.

and it would be so much easier to just transfer over the entire individual gauge from cluster to cluster.. they are held in by 3 torx screws.. very easy to remove and install.. plus no need for calibrations.
what year car is the white face cluster you have from? just as a heads up.. the 2000 white face cluster has an extra window that displays what gear your in.. I dont know if its compatible with the 99 and older W202's.

Kswiss
03-25-2005, 11:53 PM
thanks,
I was reading the post on how to take off the cluster, and they said that you have to turn on the car and turn the steering wheel to take out the cluster without having to remove the steering wheel. I always thought you guys were talking about squeezing the cluster through the steering wheel. Well if the battery is off, how can the car turn on?

SLAMMED_C
03-26-2005, 10:35 AM
you can remove the cluster without moving the steering wheel.. as you said.. just squeeze it in between the dash and steering wheel.. tricky but can be done.