PDA

View Full Version : gonna lower my car, what should I replace?

knvs
03-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Ok so I'm gonna lower my car which surrently has 77k miles on it. What should I replace as far as suspension goes? I'm going with H&R springs and probably bilistein shocks. Should I replace any bushings, contol arms, etc? I know I"ve read before that around 60-80k lower control arms should be replaced. Is that correct? I basically want to lower my car and have everything done while I'm at I don't have to replace them later on. TIA

Cschilderink
03-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I have been wondering that same thing. I have 41k on my 95 C280. Ya I know its kind of ridiculous but I got it from my grandma and she never drove. How long does the stock suspension last?

pnsji
03-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Not the control arm, but the control arm bushing.

Basically it all depends on your driving habbit. The easiest way is to look under your car and inspect any worn bushing.

AaronRCheng
03-18-2005, 09:48 AM
When i got my 1999 C280 sport brand new, I immediatelydropped the car with H&R springs and adjusted the camber. Its been almost 5 1/2 years and 54,000 miles and I haven't had any probelms yet. However, I have noticed that the rear is sinking a bit... its almost tucked when before I could fit 2 fingers between the well and the tire. Any input?

jnolte
03-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by AaronRCheng
When i got my 1999 C280 sport brand new, I immediatelydropped the car with H&R springs and adjusted the camber. Its been almost 5 1/2 years and 54,000 miles and I haven't had any probelms yet. However, I have noticed that the rear is sinking a bit... its almost tucked when before I could fit 2 fingers between the well and the tire. Any input?

rear shocks

AaronRCheng
03-18-2005, 02:51 PM
replace my rear shocks? How much should that cost me? Any particular brand that I should go with?

jnolte
03-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by AaronRCheng
replace my rear shocks? How much should that cost me? Any particular brand that I should go with?

you should problay get all shocks replaced. do a search

Brabus
03-21-2005, 11:34 AM
I would replace all shocks and most of the bushings... it'll be very costly later on if you have to get under there again and realign, etc. Unless you plan to DIY.

knvs
03-21-2005, 05:14 PM
so to play it safe I should just replace the bushings? I don't want to have to replace something and have to take everything apart again. what are the signs of bad bushings (drive feel wise) I can't really just check under the car right now (its in the shop). Basically whenever I go over bumps or a dip it kinda shakes side to side as well as up and down. Ionno if that makes sense. But like my brothers STi feels really solid over the bump and i don't feel like I'm gonna loose control whereas in my car the same bump is not so solid and im not completely confident in the cars footing. It seems like there is a lot of flex in the car and in the suspension.

Kswiss
03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
bilstein shocks