PDA

View Full Version : Damn illuminated door sills

bazfella
06-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Hi

Ive just got some illuminated door sills, they look nice and simple 1 black wire and 1 red wire on the sill. I have looked at the back of my door switch and there are 2 connectors. (1 with 2 wires connected and the other connector with 1 wire) ..

I connected the wires and can get the sill lit but only when the door switch button is pressed in (In english when i shut the door the interior lights go out as normal but the sill lights up, when i open the door the interior light comes on and the sill goes out)

I have tried swapping the wires about but it doesnt light at all the other way round.

Can anyone shed the light, i did a search but no joy.

Cheers

nokia8860
06-24-2003, 12:04 PM
I believe there is actually a harness under the carpet that you can tap off for this. But since I dont know exactly where it is I will tell you how I did it on a 124. Should be almost if not the same.

Pop the 2 door pins out. The lower one contains the power, I forget which one you will have to experiment with a meter, the top is the on off switch (for the on off switch dont use the ground (brown) use the other wire.

Thats how I ended up doing it on a 124 as he wanted underdash neons so I hooked up just like you would door sills.

Hope that helps some.

bazfella
06-24-2003, 01:06 PM
HI

Sorry i might be being thick. I have got the wires at the back of the door switch which someone told me was the best way to get at the wires.

The block has 2 connectors.1 with 2 seperate brown/grey wires coming out and the other with just a single brown.

Which do i connect the red and black wires from my sill set...???

nokia8860
06-24-2003, 01:13 PM
the red is the + end for you sills and the - is the ground.

connect the red end to the lower door pin wire (not the brown wire the other one)

connect the black end of the sills to the top pin wire (not the brown wire the other one)

this is how i did it with neons on a 124 i am figuring it could be similar. again you may want to check voltage with a multimeter.

bazfella
06-24-2003, 01:18 PM
cheers for your help matey.

Too dark now so i'll see if i can sort tmoz, half day at work i think, will let u know tmoz

dumpsta
06-25-2003, 04:38 AM
Hello,

I have got the door sills installed by tapping into the wires beneath the stock sills.

I was told to contruct a simple circuit to prevent feedback into the computer so I threw in a couple of relays and backtoback diodes. I have also known people getting the sills to work without this extra circuit. I just wanted to be safe.

Rocky
06-25-2003, 05:34 AM
I thought you had to conenct the wires via the dome light?

bazfella
06-25-2003, 10:11 AM
still no joy with this, ive looked on the switch and there is no lower wires. The switch has 2 wires coming out of the same point and a single brown wire coming out of the other ???

Weird this i thought it would be a nice simple tap into a couple of wires....

bazfella
06-25-2003, 10:47 AM
thanks...ive tested the switch and the connector with 2 wires coming from it goes live when the switch is depressed the other single connector is always neutral..But i still dnt know which wires to connect to what ????

think i will set fire to them, at least i would get to see them light up nicely

Recaro18
06-25-2003, 10:59 AM
when i hooked up my doorsills...i tapped the black wire on one of the wires on the door switch...the wires on the doorswitch are both negative..(Mercedes Benz is Negative/Ground switching, not like japanese cars, w/c is positive switch)you can't just use any of the two because of how the current travels...its pretty hard to explain without illustration....(try it with a test light if you dont have a multimeter..tap one end of the test light to one wire on the door switch and the other end of the test light to 12V thats always on without keys on the ignition, then push the doorswitch, if the test light turns off when doorswitch is pushed, then thats the right one, if it doesnt turn off, then use the other brown wire..it should work..do the same for the other side..) so if you get it working, tap the red wire from the sill to the 12V battery power..

so basically the red wire on the door sill is tapped on 12V battery power thats always on, and the black wire from the door sill is tapped on one of the brown wires on the doorswitch.

hope that helps you...thats how i did mine, and it works fine..i have the OEM doorsills...

goodluck,

-Ricky-

nokia8860
06-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Recaro18
i have the OEM doorsills...

-Ricky-

Where did you purchase these. And what is the partnumber. I was not aware that MB made OEM sills for the W202. I can not locate them on a parts CD.

Please let us know as these should be better than the aftermarket ones being sold.

dumpsta
06-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Dealership does sell OEM sills for the W202, but they have to dig hard.

I found that out when I asked dealership ppl for advice on how to install my aftermarket ones. They too suggested if you simply tap wires it may create feedback into the circuit.

The OEM ones do not have the shiny 'bling' the aftermarket ones have...they are brushed silver color with a plastic looking seal thing on each end. But they can be had in Yellow or Blue when lit.
OEM one also have three wires...positive, negative, and switch.

bazfella
06-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Cheers Ricky..Job done..Work perfectly and look superb.

Thanks for the info also Nokia

nokia8860
06-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by dumpsta
Dealership does sell OEM sills for the W202, but they have to dig hard.

I found that out when I asked dealership ppl for advice on how to install my aftermarket ones. They too suggested if you simply tap wires it may create feedback into the circuit.

The OEM ones do not have the shiny 'bling' the aftermarket ones have...they are brushed silver color with a plastic looking seal thing on each end. But they can be had in Yellow or Blue when lit.
OEM one also have three wires...positive, negative, and switch.

Cool!!! Ok will post a request in the parts number forum! Thanks!!!!

J Irwan
06-25-2003, 02:38 PM
If Iam not mistaken

the OEM illuminated door sill , only have the front sill illuminated..not all four..

Is this true..?

Regardz,

J Irwan

Recaro18
06-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
If Iam not mistaken

the OEM illuminated door sill , only have the front sill illuminated..not all four..

Is this true..?

Regardz,

J Irwan

Yup, only my front ones are illuminated...

cool bazfella, glad i can help....;)

-Ricky-

Deepchord
06-26-2003, 09:01 AM
wow, do I even have back doors? I don't think I have ever even opened them more than like once.

J Irwan
06-26-2003, 10:40 AM
I know what you mean.

but I always like to see the face of the rear passenger when they open the door..

they like "aww so kewl"...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADVAtYU9dhwMxyxZG9Sp40zasooB!AthOKhMPk8Rf0hwLBCY lQ*Y7kOZvJyONYP2VILHSUbkhJ!q5hw6brxm8v8uuIWSpXKSgq wweZsIzhCAAAAkXJaAg/RCA_0053.JPG

I don't really carw about OEM door sill, as long as I can have all four of them lit-up..

btw, door sill is wired for each individual door sensor..
so when the rear left door opened, only that side lighted up ;)

Regardz,

J Irwan

CKlasse
06-26-2003, 10:50 AM
aww.. i see Winnie the Pooh!

J Irwan
06-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Here is the rear sill

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAD3AdMUONhwMxyxZG9Spx1UAzQ3FeRb6xKnuZ6V!vRKWJQhZ QwahP0o!6!pxJPmclvRIQgFPMa2EfNCxXPDogZdqPwXToG16Ug RZYq0nZdEAC4AwXb9dA/RCA_0050.JPG

btw CKlasse good eyes on the Winnie the pooh :p;)

Regardz,

J Irwan

Andrew C280
12-26-2003, 05:11 PM
hello

I would like to get some light up door sills for my W202 are they plug and play or do i have to cut wires ?

what is the install process?

slk320
12-26-2003, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J Irwan
[B]Here is the rear sill

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAD3AdMUONhwMxyxZG9Spx1UAzQ3FeRb6xKnuZ6V!vRKWJQhZ QwahP0o!6!pxJPmclvRIQgFPMa2EfNCxXPDogZdqPwXToG16Ug RZYq0nZdEAC4AwXb9dA/RCA_0050.JPG

btw CKlasse good eyes on the Winnie the pooh :p;)

Regardz,

Yeah J, obviously I don't care about OEM sill eitehr, as BRABUS didn't see it fit to make illuminated sills for the R170
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So had to come up with my own solution to the problem :
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/211000-211999/211341_55_full.jpg

And I also used a relay for elimination of feedback, Red and black wire in the same connection as previously stated.

JDoggery
07-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
I know what you mean.

but I always like to see the face of the rear passenger when they open the door..

they like "aww so kewl"...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADVAtYU9dhwMxyxZG9Sp40zasooB!AthOKhMPk8Rf0hwLBCY lQ*Y7kOZvJyONYP2VILHSUbkhJ!q5hw6brxm8v8uuIWSpXKSgq wweZsIzhCAAAAkXJaAg/RCA_0053.JPG

I don't really carw about OEM door sill, as long as I can have all four of them lit-up..

btw, door sill is wired for each individual door sensor..
so when the rear left door opened, only that side lighted up ;)

Regardz,

J Irwan

I know this is a hella old thread, but I was wondering if you had any more pictures of your install or final product, or if you could post instructions on how to wire it to each door sensor. I think it's time to get this mod underway. Thanks.

aruba
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM
www.formymercedes.com