PDA

View Full Version : which tires to choose

MrSpace
03-15-2005, 04:24 PM
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=255&ar=35&rd=18

I had P Zero Nero

I tough they were melting fats, but after checking the treadwear seems the pirelli has 400 ans falken or khumos have 280.. bf has 300. I don't know if it'S really meaningfull

Anyways, what is your choice and why?

I like a tire that has not too much the tendency to move sideways when you get into an imperfection on the road. so a comfortable tire.

Etienne

MrSpace
03-15-2005, 04:36 PM
holy s___!!

1010tires sells the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 341.99$
and same tire at Discount Tire Direct at 222$

That's total crazy price difference.

tirerack seems to have good prices too.

Etienne

manny
03-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Are you sure 1010's prices are not in CDN dollars, vs. discounttire's US dollars?
As far as treadwear ratings beware!
If you had, as an example Pirellis rated at 400, that means it is rated against THEIR OWN tire of 100.
You can not compare treadwear ratings between different tire manufacturers & get a " true " picture. ;)

MrSpace
03-15-2005, 05:08 PM
ok thanks for that input

and no it was really in $USD

but I found even more info on tirerack and I think my choice is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

tirerack has so much tests, reviews, rating, it's really the best site by far

Etienne

manny
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
I know Luke @ Tire Rack really likes these tires.
He always rates them in the top 3.
Along with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 & Bridgestone SO 3's.
Personally I love my Michelins. ;)

ShollyC220
03-15-2005, 07:09 PM
SpeedyBenz, the master of suspension recommended the Eagle F-1's to me- said they were a great tire for the $. I'd trust Jeff, he's definitely a knowledgeable guy when it comes to anything related to handling.

-sholly

98c43amg
03-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ShollyC220
SpeedyBenz, the master of suspension recommended the Eagle F-1's to me- said they were a great tire for the $. I'd trust Jeff, he's definitely a knowledgeable guy when it comes to anything related to handling.
-sholly

true ...but I'll add I was mentioning to him that he should try the Bridgestone Potenza SO3's during the ride I took with him when I went to visit before putting down the money for a complete speedybenz suspension. ;) I felt its grip "ripple" slighly when the tires were still cold; an uncomfortable feel I'm used to with mine, and mentioned it to Jeff when I felt it. Didn't feel it later in the ride, so am attributing it to the tire temperature.

The SO3's were my last pair before the Eagle F1 GSD3's I'm running now. Harder sidewall so a harder ride, but I found them to be even grippier and consistent then the F1s. Wore faster & were louder too. But as far as overall consistency of grip is concerned, my vote is for the SO3's. The SO3s were also pretty unfazed by sand in the road. Michelins? ... forget it! F1s are good, but will lose grip sooner then the SO3s. Wet grip is pretty close between the F1s and SO3s with my nod still going slightly to the SO3s.

Oh, and I will add something important if you don't live in a warmer climate. The F1s start losing grip below 50 degrees! And get worse the colder it gets. I was recommending them to Tump43 until it started getting cold. Then once it started getting cold, I felt obligated to send him an e-mail with the warning. :o

Also, note. Jeff runs 255mm width up front. I'll bet you'll be running 225mm up front just like I do. He also runs a =far= superior custom suspension that does an incredible job at keeping the tires fused to the ground ... something the Stock AMG or even lowered springs and Konis can't do as well. Something I'm also very happy to say I'll be able to capitalize on, as I've sent in my deposite for a complete speedybenz suspension; so I believe the F1s I'm running presently will do a much better job then they're doing now with the stock (and worn) AMG suspension. I should know in maybe two months. :cool:

Therefore I'll end with saying my belief in tire choice with a non-speedybenz tricked out custom suspension is the Potenza SO3's over the Eagle F1 GSD3's; but only if you don't mind a hard ride! The F1s are far softer and if I remember how the SO3s sounded, quieter. I plan on going back to the SO3's once I'm through the two sets of tires I have now (unless a new super- dry&wet performance tire hits the streets by then).