PDA

View Full Version : 1997 C230 Transmission Question

ubersnax
03-17-2005, 08:01 AM
How do I know if I ended up with the crappy transmission? I searched.. talk about a bunch of crapola.

Why is Mercedes-Benz not doing anything about selling cars to people with transmissions that go bad so soon? Shouldn't there be some sort of responsibility on their end?
For instance, Ducati will warranty its flaking rocker problem on desmoquatro valvetrains even after the warranty has expired, because it is known problem and Ducati knows its their fault. So they take care of their customers...

I don't understand why it is acceptable to you all to just bend-over because Mercedes-Benz f'd up and put a straight up shitty transmission in. I guess since it won't hurt anyone they don't wont issue a recall.. Someone up at Benz applied "the formula" from Fight Club..

kameraguy
03-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ubersnax

I don't understand why it is acceptable to you all to just bend-over because Mercedes-Benz f'd up and put a straight up shitty transmission in.

Whoa there....

C'mon now. Do you think a lot of us with problem trannys really feel that way?

And if you really feel this strongly, why not do something about it instead of talk? Teach us all a lesson.

Kswiss
03-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I see you have a 97...did you buy the car new in 97 or did you buy it recently knowing the car was nearly 10 years old?

ubersnax
03-17-2005, 09:32 AM
If / When my transmission pukes out, I will most definitely raise a stink. I'll write some letters, talk to some people.. I'll see what I can do.

I purchased this car used, with 50k miles on it. Great price, good car. Not near as good as our 190E 2.6 was. The W201 was a much better car.. you didn't see their tranmissions failing until 150k+ miles.. if even that. At least it wasnt a regular occurance.

manny
03-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by ubersnax
If / When my transmission pukes out, I will most definitely raise a stink.

You have an 8 year old car NOW.
You're going to raise stink if/when the transmission goes ?
Have you tried out to be a stand-up comedian? :rolleyes:

alphanumeric
03-18-2005, 12:00 PM
8 years old is not that freakin old.. I have had a 84 240turbo volvo with 300,000 hard drivin miles on its stock automatic trans..

I also had a 92 w201 with the 4spd auto trans that blew up under 95,000 miles and the car was really takin care of...

ubersnax I remember u from 190rev. I dont know how u can say the w201 is a beter car.. do you remember the "BLOWN HEAD GASKET" poll? just about half the forum had blown head gaskets on their 2.3 or 2.6 under 100,000 miles!

I think the w202 is better then the w201 by far!! well at least I think my 00 c230 kompressor is.. I dotn know about those earlyer C230s.

manny
03-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by alphanumeric
8 years old is not that freakin old..

His car is 8 years old now & he DOES NOT have any tranny problems, he's only been scared by some threads he has read. ;)

kameraguy
03-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by alphanumeric
8 years old is not that freakin old.. I have had a 84 240turbo volvo with 300,000 hard drivin miles on its stock automatic trans..

I also had a 92 w201 with the 4spd auto trans that blew up under 95,000 miles and the car was really takin care of...

ubersnax I remember u from 190rev. I dont know how u can say the w201 is a beter car.. do you remember the "BLOWN HEAD GASKET" poll? just about half the forum had blown head gaskets on their 2.3 or 2.6 under 100,000 miles!

I think the w202 is better then the w201 by far!! well at least I think my 00 c230 kompressor is.. I dotn know about those earlyer C230s.

OT, but I didn't know the 190 series also had it's share of headgasket leaks. Has anyone done anything about that?

alphanumeric
03-18-2005, 07:02 PM
nope.. ecept to dish out 1500-2000 for a head gasket replacement.. which is such a simple job.. sux mechanics charge so much for that stuff..

190's run REALLY HOT.. on the temp gauge alot of them get into the red zone.. and mercedes said that its okay... my 92 2.3 did it ALOT... and the magnetic clutch fan was perfectly fine too... even my buddy Chris93 2.6 limited edition ran into the red zone or above.. he still hasnt blown a head gasket yet..

but we solved those problems by buying a electronic temp sensor and hooked it upto the AUX electric fan and removed the clutch fan for more room.. and it works like a charm..

I would not recomend a 190 to anyone actually.. they look cool and all..but it feels like a honda early 90's honda..

kameraguy
03-18-2005, 08:39 PM
From what i've learned, w202's also can run hot too. Mine tends to stay between 80 and 90 degrees, but other members run even hotter.

The funny thing is the delaerships always say it's "normal" for a MB to run hot, even up to the red at times.

But personally I don't feel comfortable seeing the needle above 90 degrees. I suppose i'm a worry-wart. But I figure 80 degress is in the middle for a reason....normal!

Maybe i'm just expecting our cars to run like a honda (temperature wise). However maybe the truth is honda temp gauges aren't as accurate?? I dunno.

ubersnax
03-18-2005, 10:33 PM
the headgasket is a problem, mostly just on the 2.6 litre 190e's. i have seen 2.3's fall victim to this as well.. not near as many.

the headgasket can be replaced by the usual wrench turner.. it just takes a while. yes it can cost 2k at a shop.. or 500 yourself.

what about the c230 tranmission? how feasible would it be to replace yourself.. being 8k, there must be a shitlaod of work to do.

8 years isnt old. and from the threads ive read people are saying if you make it past 50k you are ok? 50k!?

alphanumeric
03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
I should prey every night my c230k trans does not fail ... but from what I hear 2000's w202 trans are the best becuzz they have been in production for a while and the manufacture has sorted out all the typical bugs :)