PDA

View Full Version : Difference between pullies?

Kswiss
03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
What's the difference between Kleemann K23 and Renntech Stage III?
Do you think there are big hp differences between the 2?

SLAMMED_C
03-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Im pretty sure the Kleemann K23 kit runs higher boost then the Renntech kit does.
as for HP differences.. I knoe the Kleemann kits takes you to about 230hp.. the renntech kit I cant remember the hp ratings from the site.. but I know it was less then that.
and if Im not mistaken.. the renntech kit is more money.

MrSpace
03-24-2005, 01:57 AM
there is a kleemann kit for sale on mbklasse for 550$, it will only fit the 2000 C230k

and you will need a chip.

kleemann is the biggest you can have, I could check the size of the renntech but it's not bigger that's for sure. kleemann even overspins the SC a little.

Etienne

Kswiss
03-24-2005, 10:51 AM
How come it will only fit the 2000? The 2000 and my 1999 is exactly the same engine.
And with Renntech, how come they don't offer a maf relocation. Is it because it's not needed with their kit?

MrSpace
03-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Kswiss
How come it will only fit the 2000? The 2000 and my 1999 is exactly the same engine.
And with Renntech, how come they don't offer a maf relocation. Is it because it's not needed with their kit?

well, ask slammed_C... he had to put a chip because the car wasn't running great after the pully alone.

as for MAS relocation, what it makes is remove the spot in the RPM where there is a turbulence.

And the pulley from the 1999 and 2000 aren't the same. you can modify a 1999 to fit on a 2000 (that's what I did) but not a 2000 to fit on a 1999

Etienne

SLAMMED_C
03-25-2005, 10:51 AM
well, ask slammed_C... he had to put a chip because the car wasn't running great after the pully alone.
my kit ran fine after installation.. I was just getting poorer gas mileage cause it was running really rich. thats the only reason I chipped my car.. well that and more hp!!

SLAMMED_C
03-26-2005, 05:55 PM
I found someone selling a used Kleemann K23 kit... for the M111 2.3L motor.
K23 kit (http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102383)

I dont know if he still has it.. he wants $550 plus shipping.. good price if ya ask me.

MrSpace
03-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by MrSpace
there is a kleemann kit for sale on mbklasse for 550$, it will only fit the 2000 C230k

slammed_c that is the one I was talking about

it will only fit the 2000 W202

Etienne

VIP_MBZ
04-04-2005, 08:52 AM
How much of a boost difference is there between the Renntech and Kleemann? Also, is the larger diameter idler pulley readily available, as was needed by Slammed_C?

-Ray

SLAMMED_C
04-04-2005, 07:02 PM
How much of a boost difference is there between the Renntech and Kleemann? Also, is the larger diameter idler pulley readily available, as was needed by Slammed_C?
Well its hard to tell how much of a boost difference there is..
The Renntech stage 3 kit claims 210hp and 235lbs-ft or torque... the Kleemann kit is 230hp and 245lbs-ft of torque.. so boost wise its hard to say.. maybe 3-4psi less for the Renntech kit.
I know my Kleemann kit runs 11psi of boost.
and as for the larger idler pulley.. (Im guessing you read my cardomain page?!!)
after I installed the kit I noticed a very annoying squeak form the new SC belt.. the reasoning behind it (according to Kleemann) was since the crank pulley was now so big it made the belt rub against the waterpump pulley.. causing this very annoying squeak, then when the engine became warm it went away.. but only to return again if the car was sitting for any length of time... then of course went away once warm. Kleemann said it would completely go away with some many miles of spirited driving.. well it never went away!!.. so I decided to take matters into my own hands and figure out a solution.
after playing with a few ideas I finally decided on getting a larger diameter idler pulley for the SC side.. I found a factory Mercedes pulley that worked perfectly.. 10mm larger then the stock piece.. so it gave me the clearance I needed... and I also replaced the belt too.
no problems ever since.
I dont know if this "problem" is evident on every Kleemann kit.. but it was for me.
if you want a part number for the idler pulley let me know.

VIP_MBZ
04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
Well its hard to tell how much of a boost difference there is..
The Renntech stage 3 kit claims 210hp and 235lbs-ft or torque... the Kleemann kit is 230hp and 245lbs-ft of torque.. so boost wise its hard to say.. maybe 3-4psi less for the Renntech kit.
I know my Kleemann kit runs 11psi of boost.

That's very interesting since the Renntech Stage 3 kit even includes an eeprom upgrade. I so far have leaned towards Renntech because my 202 is a daily driver, and it seems that their kit is designed to be nothing but reliable with absolutely positively no quirks or side effects.

I could be wrong and just falling into their marketing ploy, but it's hard to understand how what seems to be a very premium setup (Renntech) would still fall short of the Kleemann upgrade which is pulley-only.

-Ray

VIP_MBZ
04-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Just thought I'd share that I'm the proud new owner of Mark's Kleemann kit which was posted for sale.

Going to do baseline dyno before installing.

-Ray