PDA

View Full Version : vinyl dash...

alboogiee
03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
okay so i have started to cutomize the dash with some vinyl, any one know how to remove the cup holder lid thing? also the wood panels on the doors and on the top of the dash?

on a side note, i sux at this too, how the f**k you get the bubbles out?? i tried everything, lifing sides, scraping, heating...

Kswiss
03-26-2005, 07:13 PM
if you search you can find how to take out the bow...kinda complicated ...pictures in this site will help.
the cup holder, there's 2 screw's behind the cup sliding door. Unscrew them and its off.
for the doors, you have to take out the panels.

jnenad16
03-26-2005, 11:38 PM
the bowed wood trim on top of your dash is a pain in the ass to remove. It would be the easiest if you were removing the dash as well. But if you are not, then you would have to remove the lower panels below the dash and everything that is in your way to reach the back of the dash such as the blower motor, insturment panel(maybe)..., but this procedure is quite lengthy and complicated. Are you sure its worth the effort?

nenad

alboogiee
03-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
but this procedure is quite lengthy and complicated. Are you sure its worth the effort?

nenad

my thoughts exactly, i needed to know how much time/effort it would require... i think im just going to do the radio panel and down... maybe doors, how brave i am feeling later.

thanks for the direction!

~alex

solodough
03-27-2005, 09:49 AM
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2077&highlight=trim+removal

Superpnoy
03-27-2005, 04:12 PM
im gonna do the same...what color should i do...i have a silver two tone car with silver interior and black dash...should i do black vinyl trim or silver???

alboogiee
03-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Superpnoy
im gonna do the same...what color should i do...i have a silver two tone car with silver interior and black dash...should i do black vinyl trim or silver???

i was gonna do CF, but looked fake... i decieded with 3M autograde dark metalic silver... my car is black on black on black over some black... the silver looks good with my car, b/c my screen and accessories are silver...

anyone know how to get rid of the small small bubbles??

Eiknujrac
03-27-2005, 06:54 PM
With vinyl overlay, use a soapy mixture in a squirt bottle, and squirt both the adhesive side of the vinyl and the wood itself. Then lay the vinyl over the wood, and take a squeegie ( I had one from when I did my window tint ) and push the bubbles out over the sides. If you did the process dry, its near impossible to get the bubbles out, which is why its good to make sure you get ALL the bubbles out when the adhesive is wet.

I had a single bubble on the dash of my old car that I looked over when doing the overlay, and it bugged the crap out of me the entire time I owned the car. I tried everything, and my last resort was to take a very fine tipped needle, and puncture the vinyl to let the air out, and the vinyl went flat. The vinyl was deformed from the bubble being there in the first place, but it was better than still having the bubble itself on my dash.

alboogiee
03-27-2005, 07:26 PM
omg thank you soo much... tried the gearshift surround... makes a big diff with wet mix...!! thanks man!

high five:banana:

Eiknujrac
03-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Here to help

:smoke:

Superpnoy
03-27-2005, 10:04 PM
how much do these vinyls run for? i might do glossy black

Eiknujrac
03-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Check ebay, rolls usually sell for pretty cheap. They even have fake carbon fiber (had it on my old car, then I took it off and did a metallic silver).

alboogiee
03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
how much do these vinyls run for? i might do glossy black

i went to a local shop here in vacaville ca (nor cal) JC graphic, the owner was in and gave me a great deal on their scrap, i paid $10 of the special crap, got enough to do the whole car.

alboogiee
03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Eiknujrac
Check ebay, rolls usually sell for pretty cheap. They even have fake carbon fiber (had it on my old car, then I took it off and did a metallic silver).

i orginaly was going for CF, but it looked so cheap/fake/not CF, i opted agaist it, went for the silver met.

pnsji
03-28-2005, 04:10 PM
bow piece:
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2347&highlight=bow

Please use search. This topic has been discussed mutiple times.

alboogiee
03-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
bow piece:

i did search, i couldnt find specificly how to make the vinyl not bubble, i even did internet searches, not much helpful thoughts out there.

i do understand the frustration of multiple items being posted, but i also sympathise with people in my situation, because in some cases it gets alittle more in depth then just a seach.

yes i could have started this thread for only the one question about the bubbles in the vinyl, but that would not be much a conversation starter, this is s forum people are supposed to converse.

BAN MY ASS!

alboogiee
03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
bow piece:

oh btw, thanks, that thread was very informative,

also i was in no way trying to come off as an ass in my last post, i was just messing around man.

pnsji
03-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by alboogiee
BAN MY ASS!

If you must insist, I don't think that would be a problem.
I was politely reminding you to use the search as the topic on how to remove the interior trims has been discused multiple times.

jnolte
03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by alboogiee
i did search, i couldnt find specificly how to make the vinyl not bubble, i even did internet searches, not much helpful thoughts out there.

i do understand the frustration of multiple items being posted, but i also sympathise with people in my situation, because in some cases it gets alittle more in depth then just a seach.

yes i could have started this thread for only the one question about the bubbles in the vinyl, but that would not be much a conversation starter, this is s forum people are supposed to converse.

BAN MY ASS!

:rolleyes:

alboogiee
03-28-2005, 06:14 PM
If you must insist, I don't think that would be a problem.
I was politely reminding you to use the search as the topic on how to remove the interior trims has been discused multiple times.

:( but seriously though i was just messing around...

i appriciate that, i did overlook that thread.

Superpnoy
04-07-2005, 09:46 AM
pictures??!?!?!?!!?

alboogiee
04-07-2005, 03:46 PM
awww serious?? laffs.... okay, gimme like 2 weeks, i bought a new digi cam, wife drops in drink on drunken night... now i gotta spend $400 more to buy again... the dash is only half done, only one piece done correctly per the help i got on this, so some has bubble but i will post pix when i get my new cam... i havent even posted pix of my car... im waaay behind...

alex

Superpnoy
04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
haha man alboogie! your laggin! lol just messin...you need some car pictures on myspace to lol...im getting tired of looking at that humping storm trooper lol...j/m man haha

alboogiee
04-07-2005, 07:51 PM
...im getting tired of looking at that humping storm trooper lol...j/m man haha

thats stolen from somebody too, i couldnt find any normal pix worthy of posting so this is what you all get... sooner or later i will get around to it all...