PDA

View Full Version : custom cold air intake for C230 Kompressor

Benz42
03-28-2005, 01:27 PM
will this work?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7964298134&category=38634

MrSpace
03-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I bought one

It should work, we'll see

Etienne

Benz42
03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
did you get it from this same guy..... or some where else???

MrSpace
03-28-2005, 02:53 PM
same guy

Etienne

Pagz
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes...but it should be shielded from the engine for best results...
and also feed cool air from bumper or original OEM air pickup area behind the grill...

one of the biggest resrictions is the cast piece on the intake side of the SC....if you can replace that as well with a free'er flow type+ this intake + heat shield and cool air feed...you should achieve some gains....

Regards,
Paul

MrSpace
03-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Yes...but it should be shielded from the engine for best results...
and also feed cool air from bumper or original OEM air pickup area behind the grill...

one of the biggest resrictions is the cast piece on the intake side of the SC....if you can replace that as well with a free'er flow type+ this intake + heat shield and cool air feed...you should achieve some gains....

Regards,
Paul

watch out my setup after this summer:)

I already plan to at least extend the tubing to go in the bumper

Etienne

Pagz
03-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by MrSpace
watch out my setup after this summer:)

I already plan to at least extend the tubing to go in the bumper

Etienne

the front gaurd area is a good idea:)...no need for the heat shield or piping to feed the filter cool air....
i would have done the same if my bypass an IC piping didnt take priority in the front guard...
look forward to see'n how yours turns out...and hopfully a dyno as well???;)

Regards,
Paul

MrSpace
03-28-2005, 05:13 PM
I'll be on the dyno for sure

one basic dyno for the intake gains

and a complete dyno for the headers/cats/exhaust

Etienne

Pagz
03-28-2005, 07:12 PM
I'll be on the dyno for sure

one basic dyno for the intake gains

and a complete dyno for the headers/cats/exhaust

Etienne
ill get another dyno in soon to,to compare my IC/intake with my base dyno....

are you goin to puchase a header?...supersprint?

Rgrds,
Paul

MrSpace
03-29-2005, 01:56 AM
yes

Etienne

SLAMMED_C
03-29-2005, 08:22 PM
no way.. youre getting the supersprint header??.. damn man take some pics of it when ya get it.. Id like to see.. Im still thinking about getting one.

my intake is almost done.. installation is next week now.. waiting on a couple more parts.
Ill have pics of the whole set up out of my car and in it..

Benz42
03-30-2005, 02:10 AM
so is a heat shield not needed with this set up?? and why are there two intake tubes on the kompressor i know one is for the air but what is the other one for??

thanx all

Pagz
03-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Benz42
so is a heat shield not needed with this set up?? and why are there two intake tubes on the kompressor i know one is for the air but what is the other one for??

thanx all

yes if the filter is mounted in the engine bay it will need shielding form the heat....also for info on the bypass(second pipe on SC pressure side) check this in-depth thread on slammedC's intake mod...Here (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5159&highlight=custom+intake)
its alittle long but the info is there....

Regards,
Paul

Benz42
03-30-2005, 11:45 AM
wow this is all kinda confusing....... so how would he shield it from the engine....would he have to make his own heat shield......??

thanx

Pagz
03-30-2005, 01:25 PM
wow this is all kinda confusing....... so how would he shield it from the engine....would he have to make his own heat shield......??

thanx

he may need to have one made or make one himself,basicly any means of seperating the hot air from the intake ie alloy sheet or even better,a plastic material because of its high resistance to heat transfer

...currently my intake has no shield,but it is feed cool air from the front via a hole iv cut,so far i have had no idle problems,but then again i havent been stuck in 30 degree temps in traffic yet either

...also i feel since my bypass is now located in the front bumper area,it does not draw hot air in from the engine bay at idle...as it would if you attach the filter given in this kit to the OEM position of the bypass.....

....it is not manditory to put a heat shield on this intake,but it is best practice to do so...
hope this helps alittle...

Regards,
Paul

Benz42
03-30-2005, 02:07 PM
23k you have abeen a great help but i have one more question..........what if he was to leave the bottom half of the current air filter box and have the new filters sit inside of it......or will that not work as a heat shield???

thanx

MrSpace
03-30-2005, 03:43 PM
I will do a heat shield in carbon fiber (I have allt he equipment with vacuum, bagging, resin and all). Fiber really doen't transfer heat.

I plan on rebuilding the SC and intercooler piping and try to find an efficient intercooler (i.e. not too much pressure drop), if there is space I would put the intake tube going to the SC in the bumper, than leave the bypass filter in the engine bay.. when you floor it anyways, the air comes by the SC so by the filter that would be in the bumper.. when cruising it would take air a little hotter from the engine bay, but who cares it's not performance driving.

Etienne

Pagz
03-30-2005, 04:31 PM
23k you have abeen a great help but i have one more question..........what if he was to leave the bottom half of the current air filter box and have the new filters sit inside of it......or will that not work as a heat shield???
thanx

hey no worries man,
Yes that could work,but you would still need to make the sides of the box extend up to where it meets the underside of the bonnet to avoid heat,
or you could modify the OEM box to pick up cooler air and fit a high flow filter inside along with new intake piping....just an idea...

Regards,
Paul

Pagz
03-30-2005, 04:58 PM
I will do a heat shield in carbon fiber (I have allt he equipment with vacuum, bagging, resin and all). Fiber really doen't transfer heat.

I plan on rebuilding the SC and intercooler piping and try to find an efficient intercooler (i.e. not too much pressure drop), if there is space I would put the intake tube going to the SC in the bumper, than leave the bypass filter in the engine bay.. when you floor it anyways, the air comes by the SC so by the filter that would be in the bumper.. when cruising it would take air a little hotter from the engine bay, but who cares it's not performance driving.

Etienne
Carbon would be great!!....cant wait to see how it turns out....
the small problem i had with putting the intake in the gaurd was it was going to be so tight to take the new IC piping down the factory route,i decided to use the hole under the OEM box for the IC piping,thus giving very little room for the bypass,so that went in the guard....
i would have liked the filter in the gaurd,but i prefered the easy IC bends instead....

iv found that the one of the times the bypass is under vaccum is at idle,due to the SC being disengaged(im yet to prove weather it disengages under cruise)....so maybe if it is open to hot air,it may cause idle problems?? like another member here has mentioned when using the bypass open to the engine bay heat in OEM position,he also mentioned he didnt have any problems after fitting OEM system back in.....i guess it also depends on you weather....

hmmm feels like im re-living slammedc's huge intake thread lol:D

Rgrds,
Paul

Benz42
03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
this whole idea of cold air intake on the c230 feels like such a hasel that its not even worth the trouble, it seems like its some thing that might work or it could be a negative thing for the car.... some how i feel mercedes did all they can do with the current "box set up...... i saw his car today and the system seems pretty efficient how the air comes from a duct behind the grill and brinings cold air into the box itself going through the current filter and going up to the air intake and i guess from what i have learned now in to the SC bypass..... i think he might just use the current "box" and extend it up like 23k was saying so it wont suck in as much hot air....

thanx for all your help guys when and if he does it i will take pictures and let you guys know how it all went.......

Linh
03-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Here's some pictures of Supersprint header installed in the 2003 Slk 230.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202634&posts=15&hl=

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202781&posts=10&hl=

Pagz
03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
this whole idea of cold air intake on the c230 feels like such a hasel that its not even worth the trouble, it seems like its some thing that might work or it could be a negative thing for the car.... some how i feel mercedes did all they can do with the current "box set up...... i saw his car today and the system seems pretty efficient how the air comes from a duct behind the grill and brinings cold air into the box itself going through the current filter and going up to the air intake and i guess from what i have learned now in to the SC bypass..... i think he might just use the current "box" and extend it up like 23k was saying so it wont suck in as much hot air....

thanx for all your help guys when and if he does it i will take pictures and let you guys know how it all went.......

hey i think you quit right,the OEM system is already well designed...i believe if you were to use the OEM box,and still retain the OEM filter,it might be easy to cut a hole in the bottom of it and run a piece of ducking to the front bumper to feed it cooler air,iv heard of people cutting out the blank part of the front grill(which i have just done)to add more airflow....
hope it all goes well....

Rgrds.
Paul

Pagz
03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Linh
Here's some pictures of Supersprint header installed in the 2003 Slk 230.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202634&posts=15&hl=

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202781&posts=10&hl=

man,if only i had a left hand drive!!!!

SLAMMED_C
03-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Damn that header looks sweet.. I gotta get one now!

Linh
03-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Damn that header looks sweet.. I gotta get one now!

$900 shipped !!!!

Kswiss
04-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Linh
$900 shipped !!!!

900?!?!?! kinda expensive don't cha think...

SLAMMED_C
04-02-2005, 04:51 PM
900?!?!?! kinda expensive don't cha think...
lol.. man everything performance for a benz is expensive!!.
900 for a header is expenzive yes.. but ya gotta pay to play.