PDA

View Full Version : Pls help, central locking going nuts

BongC36
03-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Guys, When I use the IR remote to lock or unlock my 1995 C36, the red and the green LEDs on the rear-view mirror flash together (sometimes alternately) instead of the normal response of green LED for unlock and red LED for lock. Car starts fine so far but I am worried it might refuse to start one day and strand me.

I used the search service but found nothing similar to my problem. Any ideas on what this is and how to fix it? I've already replaced the batteries on the remote and synchronized it as per manual but no change noted.

Your assistance/inputs will be highly appreciated.

stox
03-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Try cleaning the window that the I/R is sent through on the remote.

BongC36
03-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the response, but it does the same thing even when I aim it directky at the receiver from inside the car. Used to work well before...

stox
03-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Well, as far as I know, the blinking LED's indicates a weak signal. Have you tried cleaning the contacts for the battery in the remote? Another good possibility is that you got a bad replacement battery.

manny
03-30-2005, 03:21 PM
stox

I agree with your diagnosis. ;)
I have also heard some time ago, that you can get a solder joint in the key going bad.

BongC36
03-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks Stox, I found your earlier post on this matter. I bought a new pair of batteries from the photoshop and tried it but the same thing happens. Sometimes the lights flash together, sometimes alternately.

One time it refused to start until I locked and unlocked the system using the remote. I am apprehensive it might do it again...

stox
03-31-2005, 08:06 AM
As far as getting locked out, I don't think you need to worry. If you manually lock and unlock the driver's door with the key, the starter will be unlocked.

Now for a silly question, are you sure you got the right battery?

bighifi
04-01-2005, 12:15 AM
My 96 is doing the same thing. Still have no figured it out.

SLAMMED_C
04-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I was pretty sure it was weak batteries in the key.. that causes the red and green LED's to light up... has anyone check the owners manual.. it does say in there what it means if Im not mistaken.

BongC36
04-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Yes, correct battery CR2025. Also, there is no keyhole in my driver's side door. That has been bugging me ever since I got the car because if the IR fails then I'm locked out!

I disconnected the car battery for 2 hours and when I re-connected, the system worked normally. Hope this is the end of this episode. Try this BigHiFi.

Thanks for all the responses guys!! Much appreciated.

stox
04-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Glad to hear you found a solution. I am curious, though, no keyhole on the drivers side? Was that an option or a modification?

BongC36
04-07-2005, 04:38 AM
I dont know Stox, I think all euro C36's came that way from the factory. The passenger side door also has no keyhole.

The flashing red and green light came back yesterday but is normal again today... I am really worried now

BENS_C36
04-07-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't have any of this stuff in my 95 c36.... :(

BongC36
04-12-2005, 08:15 PM
No IR remote? Maybe it was an option on the 95 C36.

You're lucky, because you can install an aftermarket system on it. Easy to diagnose and cheap to fix or replace if necessary.

hvmercy
04-13-2005, 09:35 AM
BongC36,
When was the last time you replaced your car battery?
2 years ago my car's electronics started to get crazy i.e.
gauges reading incorrectly, bulb out warning, low fuel,
etc...The first I did was to reset the system by disconnecting
the car's battery like you did but it was only a short term solution.
Finally I just went ahead and took it to the dealership and
have them diagnose it. It turns out it was only the car's
battery giving all those problems.

Perhaps it would be advantageous to look at that
angle...just my 2 centimos!

Hvmercy

BongC36
04-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Car battery was replaced 14 months ago, but I will check the voltage tonight. Thanks