PDA

View Full Version : Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

C280Sportster
04-05-2005, 06:24 AM
I need new rotors. I was thinking, why not do a small upgrade and save some weight if that's possible...

Does anyone make ligher weight rotors (then stock) for our W202.

I would think that cross drilled rotors weigh less.

I'm not expecting to save much, but overall I'm trying to knock 100 pounds off the car, so every 1/2 pound helps.

Denlasoul
04-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by C280Sportster
I'm not expecting to save much, but overall I'm trying to knock 100 pounds off the car, so every 1/2 pound helps.
Talk to Speedybenz (or do a Search). If I recall correctly, he shaved off around 200lbs.

C280Sportster
04-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Talk to Speedybenz (or do a Search). If I recall correctly, he shaved off around 200lbs.

I know! I'm not going that far, everytime I do something to my car I always try and upgrade.

I believe he changed the calipers to some light weight ones that where pretty expensive.

I guess I should have just asked if cross drilled rotors weigh less than stock?

And which ones are recommended?

Thanks

Ok speedybenz used:

Brakeman Calipers 31.0 lbs
Brakeman Rotor 7.0 lbs

I googling it right now and seeing who sells them for MB

Renn 208
04-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by C280Sportster

Ok speedybenz used:

Brakeman Calipers 31.0 lbs
Brakeman Rotor 7.0 lbs

I googling it right now and seeing who sells them for MB

You don't even have to google it...

The Brakeman, Mailing / Shipping Address:
838 Calle Plano . Camarillo . California . 93012

Call:
805-987-STOP (7867)

http://www.thebrakeman.com

Also, you'll find that material of construction can be a bigger factor in weight reduction than drills vs. no drills. Hold a stock rotor in one hand while holding an Aluminum rotor in another hand, and you'll see what I mean.

pnsji
04-05-2005, 02:59 PM
one of the cheap upgrade to loose weight is buying a dry cell battery.

Renn 208
04-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
one of the cheap upgrade to loose weight is buying a dry cell battery.

actually, it would be called, "not eating":p

!!!!!NJ Drive
04-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
actually, it would be called, "not eating":p LOL...is that why i need new shocks & springs every 8k miles

pnsji
04-05-2005, 04:21 PM
actually, it would be called, "not eating":p

haha instant noodle yo :D

Renn 208
04-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
haha instant noodle yo :D

Indomie? No, Indo you!

C280Sportster
04-05-2005, 04:40 PM
You don't even have to google it...

The Brakeman, Mailing / Shipping Address:
838 Calle Plano . Camarillo . California . 93012

Call:
805-987-STOP (7867)

http://www.thebrakeman.com

Also, you'll find that material of construction can be a bigger factor in weight reduction than drills vs. no drills. Hold a stock rotor in one hand while holding an Aluminum rotor in another hand, and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks!

What rotor would fit my car (1998 C280) ? I searched the site, it seems they only have kits for our cars. They also don't list the weights.

There is one chart with sizes: http://www.thebrakeman.com/hurricane_street_kits

So, if any one knows, what rotor will fit our W202s and how much does it weigh (or how much can I save)? Speedybenz saved 7 pounds, that exceeds what I was looking for, which was 5 pounds.

Thanks

Renn 208
04-05-2005, 05:42 PM
put down the keyboard and pick up the phone! I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions. And if for some odd reason they have a tough time rembering, mention Jeff's name, and that should jog their memories.

tpliquid
04-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul

200 lbs off his C43 brakes. c43 brakes are like 100 lbs heavier than the stock c280 brakes

Ashkan's C280
09-14-2005, 03:55 PM
does anyone know how much jeff paid for his kit? I gave them a call and am waiting for a return...

Renn 208
09-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
does anyone know how much jeff paid for his kit? I gave them a call and am waiting for a return...

Well there's at least one person who would know what Jeff paid for his kit.

If you can guess who, you might want to send him an e-mail.

Ashkan's C280
09-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I guess jeff is super busy or bad about checking or replying to email cause I have sent him a few emails that have never been answered, my pads are all worn so I guess its time to change all the stuff, I had an alignment done today and they said the rotors have to be changed when the pads are gone, I thought this was bogus but am not sure, either way jeff if you read this could you make derlin bushings rear end links and sways for me? Please? and I am interested in this break kit

c280nz
09-14-2005, 04:34 PM
interesting reading....
removing your spare wheel will save you like 40+ pounds, just take one of those tire can things.
same goes for the rear seats (40+ pounds) if you dont take passangers/or are after a reason not to take pasangers :)
theres heaps of crap all over the car that is heavy and not really necessary, and alot of it cant even be seen anyway.

but i like the dry cell battery idea pnsji, i never even though of a dry cell, i thought about getting a smaller lighter battery bt didnt realise dry cell are that light "mental note next battery=drycell"

sorry i didnt put any usefull info about brakes in here for you, but you seem to have it covered

tpliquid
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
interesting reading....
removing your spare wheel will save you like 40+ pounds, just take one of those tire can things.
same goes for the rear seats (40+ pounds) if you dont take passangers/or are after a reason not to take pasangers :)
theres heaps of crap all over the car that is heavy and not really necessary, and alot of it cant even be seen anyway.

but i like the dry cell battery idea pnsji, i never even though of a dry cell, i thought about getting a smaller lighter battery bt didnt realise dry cell are that light "mental note next battery=drycell"

sorry i didnt put any usefull info about brakes in here for you, but you seem to have it covered

i do not believe the rear seats weigh 40 lbs. neither do i believe that a stock 15 inch wheel with tire weights 40 lbs

c280nz
09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
i weighed them when i took them out of my car.
I did do quick conversions in my head to pounds, as im used to using kg. or my scales may be wrong but im pritty confident with my weights.

but i took all this out of my car and got these weights.

sub+amp= 20kg

back seats bottom part and back rest parts (so theres no seat in the back at all.
it is leather and these too parts weighed very close to 20kg

the spare wheel + jack + boot floor lining thing = 20kg

the wheel alone may have not been 20 kg but the wheel alone it was at the least 15kgs 15" standard alloy 205 wide tire

But if your making a claim that im wrong tpliquid please state what your weight's were/ or the correct ones. or someone else, but im positive these were them ^

neema12
09-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Their are much better and easier, not to mention cheaper mods that you can do to shave weight off that brakes. I would suggest not getting slotted or drilled brakes.

tpliquid
09-15-2005, 11:28 AM
just buy a faster car

tpliquid
09-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I did do quick conversions in my head to pounds, as im used to using kg. or my scales may be wrong but im pritty confident with my weights.

sub+amp= 20kg

back seats bottom part and back rest parts (so theres no seat in the back at all.

the wheel alone may have not been 20 kg but the wheel alone it was at the least 15kgs 15" standard alloy 205 wide tire

But if your making a claim that im wrong tpliquid please state what your weight's were/ or the correct ones. or someone else, but im positive these were them ^

yea ur right. i did weigh it its only 35 lbs. i guess my muscles are too big and it feels mor elike 20 lbs

marsbike
09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by neema12
Their are much better and easier, not to mention cheaper mods that you can do to shave weight off that brakes. I would suggest not getting slotted or drilled brakes.

I would not reccomend cross drilled rotors, for the fact that they have a higher chance of stress cracking. There is far less braking surface with them as well, compared to a slotted rotor.

sig425
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I have done group buy kits for brake upgrades. If someone is interested in a light weight brake kit for their car I can put a group buy together that would use wilwood superlite 4 piston calipers and 2 piece light weight rotors.

preliminary data based on my quick search on w202 brakes.........

The New rotors are 12.81 rotors by 1 inch thick that weight 13.lbs or you can go with 22 mm thick for 10lbs. This is a 2 piece rotor with aluminum hat and an iron rotor suitable for daily road use. The hat stays the rotor gets replaced. The calipers are 4 1/2 lbs. Standard pricing for kits like this are around $1200 to $1400 minus the group buy discount (this is a rough estimate as I would have to see if amgs would benefit from this change and if all chasis would use the same upgrade kit.)

The stock rotor on a w202 is 11.18 diameter up to chasis 647650.

you'd prolly need 17's to do this but the brake improvement would be great, at least 33% improvement and the price is pretty good. I'll get more details if anyone is interested.

3 buyers = a group buy

Im new to benz so i would have to verify the math for brake improvement but I can tell you there would at least be a substantial weight reduction.

Ashkan's C280
09-15-2005, 06:55 PM
what is the price and is it for front only?? I got a hold of breakman and they needed jeff's last name cause they didn't have records that way I guess, but they have the sysrtem for the c280 for 2168 I believe... something along that price, seems to be good stuff they might be able to do a setup for the rear as well, but something about 4400 usd for complete breaks that eats me up.... I could get the lorinser kit rims, and ill door sills for that price, and even the cost to have my fenders massively rolled *sigh*

tpliquid
09-15-2005, 07:01 PM
4000+ trade in ur c class can be down payment for a used C32 or a C43...

edit: with good brakes :)

Ashkan's C280
09-15-2005, 07:49 PM
in a year or two all w202s will be mostly worthless even AMG's do some degree even a 2000 c43 won't get you too much when its 7 years old especially if don't have an AMG and just a normal w202, so I suppose in the long run, doing more mods to a 202 is cheaper than buy a newer merc or an AMG, or at least that's what I keep telling myself so I feel better when I buy all these mods

sig425
09-16-2005, 04:39 AM
A full front kit would be between $1200-$1400 maybe less depending on how many folks would be interested. Wilwood offers a great discount starting at 3 buyers but wont give pricing until I sign the contract to complete the kits. Everyone would pay them direct and have them shopped directly from the factory.
2 calipers
2 hats (hubs)
2 rotors
all brackets
stainless hoses
and misc

These are streetable kits with heavy grade disks that can handle street driving. Ultra light cut race disks out of steele or titanium are not designed for street use. They are designed to cool fast and last one maybe 2 track sessions.

Honestly, I have no desire to upgrade my brakes. I would like light weight 2 piece rotors but in order to do that one must upgrade the brakes. The 2 piece rotors are larger offering more brake force meaning that you either have to relocate your stock caliper or buy a caliper made to be in the new position.

sig425
09-16-2005, 04:42 AM
f they might be able to do a setup for the rear as well,

You shouldn't need a kit for the rear if the fronts are sized right. Most of the brake force comes from the front. The fronts need to be sized to keep the bias correct which prevents the rear from swinging around during hard cornering or locking up during straight line.

sig425
09-16-2005, 04:47 AM
in a year or two all w202s will be mostly worthless even AMG's

Going to have to agree with you there. There is no real Tuner market for mercedes. Although they are a timeless classic IMO i doubt they will see an increase in value (or even a leveling out) the way other sport sedans do...i.e. e36 BMWs, acuras, audi a4's etc... Still, I bought this car because no one has one.

BMWs and Audis are like the camaros of the 80s everyone has one! I have yet to see a riced w202 but I see BMW with big wangs all the time now. I sold my audi because 3 other guys on my street had one! My c43 is the best car I have owned yet and I plan to keep it for a long time.

C280Sportster
09-16-2005, 07:05 AM

sub+amp= 20kg

I think you are right. My "sport package" wheels and tires weigh 37 pounds each.

The stock MB Batt. weighs close to 80 pounds (I've been told, maybe it's 60?). You don't need a dry cell, a normal battery weighs about 35 pounds.

So let's say make those changes are that's about 65 pounds (on the low side, maybe more).

Now getting the other 35 pounds is a lot harder.

One thing about rotors, they are unsprung weight, so saving 1-2 pounds per wheel would help a lot more then losing it in the car.

Ashkan's C280
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I still love my slow dirty optionless car, it just keeps getting better with age and money lol, I really think mercedes hit it right with our cars, w140s are great but a little older tech, 210s have everything we should except for the weird shape, if the w140 had our tech it would be a perfect car.... any car that can have comand and all the other options we cna have is awesome in my book... I just need to find a way to add one touch up/down in all 4 windows....

speedybenz
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
On the issue of saving weight. The rotors I use will not just bolt up because of the different offset they used to get them to fit thier Caliper. It was the caliper that saved all the weight. My Rotors are pretty heavy so can absorb heat from the racetrack.

I would look at BatteryMart.com and buy a Odessy PC925 or similar. It is a great battery and at $100 I dont think you can beat it plus it is some 40lbs lighter than the stock 60 pound battery.

The stock Aluminum wheels in the 16" size are pretty light but the AMG wheels are boat anchors at 25-27 pounds each. SSR make some really light wheels and the OZ Superleggra is also nice and light and about 1/2 the cost.

The stock exhaust is pretty heavy so a nice custom exhaust from your favorite Muffler guy might make sense.

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
09-16-2005, 11:10 AM
what kind of break setup did you get from breakman?? Who did you get yo retail the part to you, and how is your exhaust system setup?? I have been wanting to add high flow cats but tws guys have advised against it, saying we need merc labled high flow cats, issues with thee 02 snsors... how do you guys get around this?

speedybenz
09-17-2005, 10:07 AM
I worked directly with the Brakeman to help develop the front kit and so I got a small break in the cost. They are really great brake though. Much higher quality than the Brembo stuff they sell in their kits. You would have to get the Brembo calipers about 3 steps up the price range to match the Brakeman caliper. I use the stock rear rotor but had them slot them and heat treat them. They are now much more durable and show almost no wear after several track days and hard driving in the roads near my home.

You can use high flow cats on your mercedes. The o2 sensors don't know the difference. My car runs fine with 200 cell cats.

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
09-17-2005, 10:13 AM
do you still pass emissions in cali? or do you take them off for that day?

speedybenz
09-18-2005, 09:14 PM
I have not tried the smog check yet. But I will check it beofre it is time so I can make any adjustments if needed

Jeff

sig425
09-19-2005, 04:35 AM
looks like one of my cats is shot.... at least I smell it from time to time and my o2 sensors are going nuts. Looks like the AMG exhaust is stainless so I am sure I will have much fun trying to get a high flow cat on it. I cant seem to find anyone who welds stainless around here.

Do you have a part number/vendor for the cats you are using?

thanks.