PDA

View Full Version : My New Head Unit

VIP_MBZ
04-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Just posting a pic of the beginnings of my new system. Amps are McIntosh MCC404 and MCC302. Speakers are Focal Utopia.

http://suprablur.935motorsports.com/mbz/mac_small.jpg

-Ray

98c43amg
04-05-2005, 10:26 AM
E N V Y !

sleek_benzo
04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
B A S T A R D!!! i want those!!! :eek:

714guy
04-05-2005, 10:55 AM
WoW, really sleek. I love it.

ja2k
04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
That looks crazy:D :D . Good work. Please share more photos, I have yet to see a McIntosh sound system. But I know its very expensive audio equipment.

Eiknujrac
04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by ja2k
That looks crazy:D :D . Good work. Please share more photos, I have yet to see a McIntosh sound system. But I know its very expensive audio equipment. :werd:

McIntosh Amps = best in world ;)

sleek_benzo
04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Eiknujrac
:werd:

McIntosh Amps = best in world ;)

best - subjectively speaking i hope..

audiophile
04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by sleek_benzo
best - subjectively speaking i hope.. i agree. sounds nice, but the technology isn't there. and since they were bought by clarion, they're not what they used to be. :confused:
nice hu though;)

VIP_MBZ
04-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by audiophile
i agree. sounds nice, but the technology isn't there. and since they were bought by clarion, they're not what they used to be. :confused:
nice hu though;)

I'm trying to keep my "technology" to a minimum this time around. On my last system in the Supra, I was using an Eclipse AV8533, which has full processing, parametric EQ, and time alignment, all of which helped to correct a lot of nuances in the system. Amps and speakers were DLS (Ultimate Reference 3-way speakers, each front channel powered by a bridged Ultimate A2). The end result was an overly processed sound which was close to perfect in the driver's seat, and kind of crappy everywhere else.

So far the current system already is ten times better than the last, and I haven't even taken the time to really appropriately tweak the crossovers. Getting accurate imaging comes from a careful install (kick panels) rather than processing.

My sub is still from my old setup, an unreleased Eclipse unit 10" Aluminum Pro DVC. Once I get a better enclosure for it and mount the amps the way they're going to sit permanently, I'll post pics of the back setup.

-Ray

sleek_benzo
04-05-2005, 02:53 PM
umm.... you want to send some stuff my way.. :D

Superpnoy
04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
SAWEEEETTTTTTT i feel like a :bandit: lol... j/k what part of Los Angeles are you from?

Eiknujrac
04-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by audiophile
i agree. sounds nice, but the technology isn't there. and since they were bought by clarion, they're not what they used to be. :confused:
nice hu though;)

What do you mean the technology isn't there? McIntosh uses the best audio component technology in the world, and they have not followed the recent fad of "so-called all-digital (and in general lesser-quality) amps". Just because McIntosh amps don't have neons and fans and all the other bells and wistles, does not detract from the fact they continue to be high-end equipment. McIntosh amps have always been and continue to be the leaders for sonic quality, and are consistently ranked among the best in the world.

If I had the money to afford it, I would put nothing but Mcintosh amps in my car. Maybe some of the pre-US early 90's nakamichi equipment, but even that won't touch the Macs for SQ.

Eiknujrac
04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ
I'm trying to keep my "technology" to a minimum this time around. On my last system in the Supra, I was using an Eclipse AV8533, which has full processing, parametric EQ, and time alignment, all of which helped to correct a lot of nuances in the system. Amps and speakers were DLS (Ultimate Reference 3-way speakers, each front channel powered by a bridged Ultimate A2). The end result was an overly processed sound which was close to perfect in the driver's seat, and kind of crappy everywhere else.

So far the current system already is ten times better than the last, and I haven't even taken the time to really appropriately tweak the crossovers. Getting accurate imaging comes from a careful install (kick panels) rather than processing.

My sub is still from my old setup, an unreleased Eclipse unit 10" Aluminum Pro DVC. Once I get a better enclosure for it and mount the amps the way they're going to sit permanently, I'll post pics of the back setup.

-Ray

:werd:

Newer/Better technology does not equal better sound quality.

neema12
04-05-2005, 05:56 PM
You ask me I think US Amps are the best, and what I would buy if I had the $$.

audiophile
04-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Eiknujrac
What do you mean the technology isn't there? McIntosh uses the best audio component technology in the world, and they have not followed the recent fad of "so-called all-digital (and in general lesser-quality) amps". Just because McIntosh amps don't have neons and fans and all the other bells and wistles, does not detract from the fact they continue to be high-end equipment. McIntosh amps have always been and continue to be the leaders for sonic quality, and are consistently ranked among the best in the world.

If I had the money to afford it, I would put nothing but Mcintosh amps in my car. Maybe some of the pre-US early 90's nakamichi equipment, but even that won't touch the Macs for SQ. you guys are misunderstading my point, here i'm not knocking on mcintosh at all. i love there stuff, it's awesome, but they are using old techniques to get the job done. nothing wrong with that. :D and i also agree with you that newer tech. doesn't = better sq. i am totally for sq. that's how i like to listen to my music.:)

sugrdaddey
04-05-2005, 06:23 PM
damn dude, you're lucky that you're not from njz..you shiiit would be gone lol. my buddy just got 2 W6's stolen. but maybe the ghetto ass thieves dont know what McIntosh is..

Eiknujrac
04-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Yea its funny when i tell people I want Mcintosh stuff.

"Dude apple makes car audio stuff?"

:bored:

C280 JR
04-05-2005, 07:21 PM
looks old school, i love it

Elvir

VIP_MBZ
04-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by sugrdaddey
damn dude, you're lucky that you're not from njz..you shiiit would be gone lol. my buddy just got 2 W6's stolen. but maybe the ghetto ass thieves dont know what McIntosh is..

I tested it on my coworkers -- I had them walk by my car and tell me if they would steal the head unit if they were a potential theif. Most common answer: No, why would I steal your stock shit?

With the tint, you can't even tell the face is glossy. And in no way shape or form does it resemble a $four figure head unit. I would be more worried about a cheapy Lanzar flip-out.

-Ray

sleek_benzo
04-06-2005, 07:15 AM
hahaha.. it freakin true.. most people wouldn't know a good thing if it drop right in front of them.. wierd how people talk about JL this and JL that.. fosgate this and fosgate taht.. etc...

i'm not discreditting JL or fosgate or any other company for that matter.. its just funny how people think w7 are the shit.. no doubt in my mind there good.. i use to own one.. but theres better stuff out there that WILL give you equal performance if not exceed them.. shit i mean 300+ bucks for a recone is just flat out wrong... and thats a 10w7 too.. might as well go get a new one..

mcintosh is a great product.. no one is bashing on that.. i mean lifetime warranty is a good thing isn't it? but saying their the best isn't right.. i mean helix, brax, zapco, etc.. make some outstanding product also.. its all in the matter of what you like.. best for you may not be best for me.. and vice versa.. but no doubt i'll steal your shit.. :D come by sacramento please.. ;)

i like arc audio.. some of you might not.. some people even believe its a clarion with Arc's label.. but i like it.. beside they're in Modesto (1 hour away)..

guess i'm rambling too much.. i say good job..

p.s. about you sending me your amp?? need my address.. :D

VIP_MBZ
04-06-2005, 07:30 AM

i like arc audio.. some of you might not.. some people even believe its a clarion with Arc's label.. but i like it.. beside they're in Modesto (1 hour away)..

I was giong to do the Arc/Rainbow combo initially, but it was way more than I was willing to spend at the time.

-Ray

sleek_benzo
04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
that would of been a great setup.. have you heard Arc Acs component? heard it was up to par with rainbow..

i like audiobahn with flames.. those are hot! :D

VIP_MBZ
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Lol, well I can't give you a free Mac amp, but if you need a deal on Eclipse, I'll be more than happy to help you out.

-Ray

sleek_benzo
04-06-2005, 09:20 AM
lol.. come on.. help a fellow 202er out..

unless the HU has iva-d900 on it.. i think i'll pass..

VIP_MBZ
04-06-2005, 09:57 AM
lol.. come on.. help a fellow 202er out..

unless the HU has iva-d900 on it.. i think i'll pass..

I had the opportunity to get an IVA-D900 but chose the Eclipse AV8533 instead. Check it out, more features, better sound quality and specs, plus DVD-A decoding.

Only caveat is that it retails for 2699, but you only pay that much if you're not a somebody. =)

I can get Alpine too tho. LMK.

-Ray

sleek_benzo
04-06-2005, 10:09 AM
for how much? best quote i got is 1100.

sleek_benzo
04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
so whats your price?

pnsji
04-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Looks good! How does it sound?
Focal Utopia is too bright for my taste.
Have you heard of other stuffs, like scan speak revelator? Morel supremo? DLS iridium? or even Eton?

need more pics of the rest of the system.

VIP_MBZ
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
so whats your price?

wow your quote is cheap. I can only get the new model, IVA-D901, and it's nowhere near that cheap. Closer to 1.8k.

-Ray

VIP_MBZ
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by pnsji
Looks good! How does it sound?
Focal Utopia is too bright for my taste.
Have you heard of other stuffs, like scan speak revelator? Morel supremo? DLS iridium? or even Eton?

need more pics of the rest of the system.

I've been through the entire DLS lineup, and believe it or not, it's actually too warm for this particular setup. It's good dash mounted or in door panels because it's close to you, but in kick panels the detail gets lost on the way to your ears.

I used to not like Focal also for the same reason, but I found when you give it a crapload of clean power, they are no longer too bright. I'm using the MCC302 to give each front channel an underrated 150w.

I'll post more pics soon.

-Ray

sleek_benzo
04-08-2005, 07:34 AM
VIP - the new 901 and the old 900 isn't much different.. if i can remember right.. the lights are about the only changes they've made.. maybe a few other things.. but not much.. but i'll take that free mcintosh that you promise me..

Psnji - Focal are nice.. it really just depends on the user.. some like some don't.. K2P are pretty good.. given the correct location and good amount of tuning.. i thought eton was long gone already??

i need a system bad! :(