PDA

View Full Version : What are "Pads"?

Randy
04-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here, what are the "pads" I keep hearing about & their respective sizes? - I'd like my ride to be as low as Edubs C280 or Wheel Power's Brabus C280 from the Benzworld galleries, would an H&R cup kit do the trick or do I need to change the pads to get it lower? - I'd rather not have to cut the springs if I can avoid it. - WhaT ABOUT COILOVERS?

Renn 208
04-07-2005, 10:49 AM
sping pads are just little rubber doughnuts that go on top of the spring and separate the spring from the perch. By changing the pad you can "fine tune" the ride height of your car.

The pads come in a number of sizes and a search of the site will give you sizes, part numbers, and the pad number (the most common way to refrence a particular pad). Another thing to consider is that cars of differing years/build times, may require either a flat topped w201 chassis pad (from the 190E series) or a w210/w202 pad (indented pad to accept a non-flat coil spring)

Here's a good thread for some of the specifics:
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6031&highlight=spring+pads

Also, the pads that come stock on a given car may vary, as the factory chooses the "appropriate" pad depending on option packages that are specified on the build sheet. This becomes useful if you happen to have a "no-frills" model 202 as it is likely to already have the thinnest pads available, and you may not be able to lower the car all that much by switching pads.

To find out what pads your car comes with, simply look towards the top of the spring and look for rubber "bumps" on the bottom of the pad. If that fails, you can always take your vin number to the dealer and ask them to look up what pads came with your car.

As to your coil-over question, that term is typically applied to suspensions with macpherson struts where the coil spring and damper come are in one assembly. By threading the damper, the coil-overs adjust ride height typically witht the use of special tools.

The w202, however, uses an independant double wishbone suspension where the springs are separate from the dampers. As such, the only way to get "coil-over" like height adjustability is to talk to Speedybenz (a mod on this board), as he has fabricated adjustable spring perches.

Search the site a bit, and I'm sure that you'll be able to find lots of useful details. Good luck with your project! and Welcome to the Club!

Randy
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Wow, thanx for all the info!

Randy
SoCal

pnsji
04-08-2005, 10:54 AM
the pics to go with Renn's info:

Front Suspension:
http://home.comcast.net/~sirwan/Pictures/suspension/front.jpg
A = spring pads

Rear Suspension:
http://home.comcast.net/~sirwan/Pictures/suspension/rear.jpg
B = spring pads

Fomob
04-30-2005, 04:51 PM
For the life of me I cannot find the bumps or bumps on my pads but I am pretty certain they are ones. Anyone know what was speced on the 99 C43? If no one knows I guess the next move is to go the the stealership and see if they can help.

blackc230
02-06-2007, 06:04 AM
I use H&R for my late 97 C230.
It's sittin' pretty low rite now. But, I can drop it for another 1cm. My mechanic told me to simply get thinner pad (mine is #3). he suggested pad #2 should do the job.

Now, I contacted my sparepart supplier only to find out that the height difference will be noticeable. What I mean by this is, Mercs intentionally differ the car height to compromise the driver's weight. He told me that if I'm to change the pads, the difference will be magnified hence will be noticable.

Can anyone here justify this statement?
please do share your experience

Denlasoul
02-06-2007, 06:30 AM
MB varies the spring pad thickness depending on the options of the car, not the actual driver. Think about it, do you think they ask the new buyer's their weight? Probably not.

Thinkness between pads is 4mm. So from #3 to #2 would be about 4mm lower.

blackc230
02-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
MB varies the spring pad thickness depending on the options of the car, not the actual driver. Think about it, do you think they ask the new buyer's their weight? Probably not.

Thinkness between pads is 4mm. So from #3 to #2 would be about 4mm lower.

that makes sense..thanks

well I think another 4mm is good enough..